The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that you are dedicating range time to short game and wedge work dude.
Yeah dude mo matter what if I go there I'm spending some time on short game every time.

Will need to work on putting a little down the road too

Hit the range after my round this morning and worked on my posture and tempo. Those two things were the main issues for me today and hit about 70-80 balls with an 8 iron, 30-40 balls with my 56*, and about a dozen with my 3h. Everything felt and flew great during the range session but we ll see if I can carry it over to tomorrow.

Today's range session went exactly like Wednesdays range session. Just a constant struggle with pushing shots to the left or shanking them outright. Not even a pull hook to confuse me this time, ha ha!

I'd get another lesson, but I can't imagine what my instructor could possibly tell me that he hasn't already covered in the last 3 lessons I've taken to remedy this problem. Those were all last season, so I suppose I may have forgotten something...but I doubt it.

Maybe I need to go back to the partial swing drills I was doing back in May. At least I'd get a handle on my wedges and short irons again. Maybe.

Range was closed at the course I usually go to so it forced me to work on my short game. I had a nice session chipping and pitching and putting everything out. Feeling good about my short game.

Went to another course and hit the range for a bit and trying to groove my swing. Driver was wonky but everything else was solid.

A little SPi work. Putting professor, eyeline mirror, laser level, balance disks, and SeeMore putter.
yzuveze9.jpg

Maybe I need to go back to the partial swing drills I was doing back in May. At least I'd get a handle on my wedges and short irons again. Maybe.

I always seem to hit best when I feel like I'm only bringing my hands to hip high. It's a lot more than that, but that's what it feels like to me and I get really nice dispersion. My problem is that I can't bring it from the range to the course, but when I'm not hitting well I just slow down and feel like I'm just going hip high and I make much better contact. Hope you get it worked out!

Worked on keeping the flex in my right knee & right hip from sliding back away from the ball. This cause the club to come from way inside and I hit big ole power hooks that I can't control.

This was the key to my good golf in OC and I let it slip the first round back home. This is the move that keeps me from the 80's plain and simple.

Did'nt touch a club today...

Spent the day at the lake, Back at it tomorrow.

Range, including short game and putting, and if I can sneak 18 in...

Just got back from the range spent about 2 hours just in the short game area. I have been pulling virtually all of my chips and pitches so I neutralized my grip a bit by sliding my thumb over the top and the results were immediate. Put 1 in on each of these sets first one was 15 ft from the rough and the 2nd was 25 feet from the rough. All different lies.

a8a4asav.jpg

ehamyvep.jpg

Then spent an hour putting. Did a few different drills. First I started by measuring a circle around the hole with my putter and placing 9 balls all around the hole. Kept going until I made all of them. Then I went to 3 balls at 5-10-15 ft. And finished up with a lag putting drill. Did this uphill and downhill. Put an alignment stick 3 ft behind the hole and placed balls at 15-20-25-30-35-40ft and proceeded to keep going until I either made it, missed a foot or 2 short or left it short of the alignment stick behind the hole. I have been working on this drill alot and my lag putting has gotten so much better.

Just got back from the range spent about 2 hours just in the short game area. I have been pulling virtually all of my chips and pitches so I neutralized my grip a bit by sliding my thumb over the top and the results were immediate. Put 1 in on each of these sets first one was 15 ft from the rough and the 2nd was 25 feet from the rough. All different lies.

a8a4asav.jpg

ehamyvep.jpg

Then spent an hour putting. Did a few different drills. First I started by measuring a circle around the hole with my putter and placing 9 balls all around the hole. Kept going until I made all of them. Then I went to 3 balls at 5-10-15 ft. And finished up with a lag putting drill. Did this uphill and downhill. Put an alignment stick 3 ft behind the hole and placed balls at 15-20-25-30-35-40ft and proceeded to keep going until I either made it, missed a foot or 2 short or left it short of the alignment stick behind the hole. I have been working on this drill alot and my lag putting has gotten so much better.
Good stuff dude this is exactly what ive been working on too. I know it's the key to me going low and so far I've already seen improvements. I just gotta stick with it.

Good stuff dude this is exactly what ive been working on too. I know it's the key to me going low and so far I've already seen improvements. I just gotta stick with it.

Especially with the Morgan Cup coming up, I don't want to leave my teammate in bad positions or with long crucial putts. It's been a work progress and honestly still is but it's almost here and am giving it all I've got.

Especially with the Morgan Cup coming up, I don't want to leave my teammate in bad positions or with long crucial putts. It's been a work progress and honestly still is but it's almost here and am giving it all I've got.
I think you're giving it a good go sir, keep it up!

Great work Ricky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent some time working on accuracy with the 6-7-8 iron to hopefully improve GIR. Didn't care about distance but I found a landing area between the 130-150 yd flags and just focused on hitting it to that spot. Result were good for the most part aside from some that were caught in the big wind gusts here today.

Then over to the chipping area to work on some bump and runs and uphill chips.

Before and after with a 9i bump to the far flag.

nesa7e2a.jpg

Worked on some drills while at work.

- turning on the right side while holding the right hip in place(quiet lower body)

- keep the swing length with the arms short while still making a full shoulder turn

- keeping the club on plane coming down, driving the butt of the club into the ball or cutting it in half with a laser

- keeping my right foot down at impact, lowers my trajectory and give me more power

Then I did some wedge work on the side of the station for a little while just hitting pitches and chips

2 hours of work on the short game. Things are falling into place.
2ydy4ypy.jpg

Practiced short game and putting for a couple of hours after today's round.

Sand game was good today.

JM

I am very committed to perfect contact with the irons right now. Adjusting to a neutral plane rather than being shallow has been a rough process, but I committed two hours to the range tonight trying to activate the right parts of my swing and after moving on to the putting green and returning a couple hours later, my contact was absolutely flush. Best strikes are very tight fades or small draws, but more often than not I'm generating the flight I've been hunting for with quality divots.

Moving on to the practice green, AMart and I spent two hours putting and playing a game we developed quickly, with the intent of chipping to a good spot for an opportunity to make a putt, and then putting with a touch of pressure added to the process. By the time we finished, I had a ton of confidence in those 2-5 footers that often give too much of a second thought on course. It's something I plan to continue to work on over the next couple weeks.

I hate the range for what I do to myself there, but i love leaving feeling accomplished. Today was definitely one of those days.

I am very committed to perfect contact with the irons right now. Adjusting to a neutral plane rather than being shallow has been a rough process, but I committed two hours to the range tonight trying to activate the right parts of my swing and after moving on to the putting green and returning a couple hours later, my contact was absolutely flush. Best strikes are very tight fades or small draws, but more often than not I'm generating the flight I've been hunting for with quality divots.

Moving on to the practice green, AMart and I spent two hours putting and playing a game we developed quickly, with the intent of chipping to a good spot for an opportunity to make a putt, and then putting with a touch of pressure added to the process. By the time we finished, I had a ton of confidence in those 2-5 footers that often give too much of a second thought on course. It's something I plan to continue to work on over the next couple weeks.

I hate the range for what I do to myself there, but i love leaving feeling accomplished. Today was definitely one of those days.
I almost didn't make it home after dinner as I could have just fallen asleep in the car after 3 hours at the range.

For me today was about getting loose after taking a couple days off. I'd worked all morning so my full swing was a bit uncoordinated and lazy. When I'd step back and refocus I was able to make solid contact with a nice fade. On the putting green I rolled in some circus putts that seemed impossible during a chip and putt battle between Canadan and myself. It's amazing what a little pressure will bring out in one's game.

Solid day of practice 36 holes with THP guys and 2 matches.

Another busy week, but I'll find a way to get some practice in. Finding that 30 minutes in the garage with drills is just as good or better than rushing to the range and hammering through a bucket just to say I did, so I'll probably default to that unless I have a couple hours free. Going to try to sneak the clubs in the vehicle for our vacation since there's a nine hole course on site, but that's a bit of a sensitive subject lol.

Alignment still presents a bit of an issue for me, but I found something that worked pretty well yesterday. I was dealing with some lefties, so decided to just set up for and think 'fade' about halfway through my round and it was night and day. Didn't actually fade the ball, but I hit it much straighter and higher. Sometimes a little draw. In reality, I was probably just set up square and not coming so far inside, but if felt like I was just swinging the club over the top. Going to run with that a bit.

I'm ready to get back to the grind this evening after taking 5 days off for my move.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Had a great hour and a half lunchtime range session today. It's amazing what happens when you work on alignment issues. All of a sudden Im swinging free and feel like Im not fighting myself through the entire swing. Worked through the entire bag.

Back to work. I will get a short game session in this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back