2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy with the work I have put in this year but I have slacked the last few weeks. The nice thing is I have been able to maintain the weight loss. I need to move the the next step of lifting some weights.

We can be long distance weight lifting buddies here soon.

We can be long distance weight lifting buddies here soon.

Sounds like a plan. I need something to keep me moving forward. Amazing how much less time there is for that type of thing in the summer.

Sounds like a plan. I need something to keep me moving forward. Amazing how much less time there is for that type of thing in the summer.

Huge difference. I struggle to find time to run 2-3 times a week right now. In the winter I was two-a-daying it multiple times a week.

Another really good lunch idea is to get one of the rotisserie chickens or turkey breasts from the grocery store and part that out into 2-3 portions. Then, just have that with frozen veggies or a salad for lunch. Filling, and tastes good too

I am on day 2 of the paleo, I am loving it so far. Just trying to trim the love handles without losing weight

100% Paleo?
No, just using the major principles, eating fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken and turkey and egg whites. Eating every 3 hours and I am never hungry and never feel bloated.
Whats amazing is 2 days of no gluten and no milk and my allergies/sinus issues feel better, excited to see what the next week brings

15 minutes on both the treadmill and elliptical followed up with curls, lat pulldowns and bench. Finished up with knee lifts and planks.

Food today: turkey sausage for breakfast, grilled chicken Caesar salad for lunch and rotisserie chicken and green beans for dinner with a protein shake after my workout.

Well while on the beach tonight my son and his friend challenged me to a race on the beach equaling .75 miles. Knowing that I would pay for it if I didn't accept the challenge I would never here the end of it. So I did and won. The knee actually felt good.

100% Paleo?
The protein I use is a whey/casein blend, paleo does not like casein, but I like casein at bedtime since it is time released

No, just using the major principles, eating fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken and turkey and egg whites. Eating every 3 hours and I am never hungry and never feel bloated.
Whats amazing is 2 days of no gluten and no milk and my allergies/sinus issues feel better, excited to see what the next week brings

I do the 80% Paleo. And it works. Takes a bit to adjust to, but it works.

I do the 80% Paleo. And it works. Takes a bit to adjust to, but it works.
What is the 80 percent? Does that let you have some grains like brown rice?

2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

What is the 80 percent? Does that let you have some grains like brown rice?

Basically.

Which Paleo are young going off of?

After reading Paleo for Athletes which talks about the importance of carbs after certain activities (workouts, training, etc) and the need for certain sugars (before and during certain activities) and consulting my dietitian, I got a better idea on how to use the Paleo diet, for more than just maintaining my current weight but to help me with my workouts.

I follow the 80% rule from Paleo for Athletes. Which basically means 80% of my diet of pure Paleo, the other 20% is not. For example; I was going for a 60 mile ride on Sunday morning, so according to that diet, the need for carbs before that workout was there as I was going to need the sustained energy. Following that ride, good carbs were also needed to replenish what I burned off.

It's not that 20% of what I eat for every meal is non Paleo, it's just that when I need something non Paleo, I can have it, as long as I restrict my diet at other times.

Having once gone full Paleo, I found that after about a week I was losing too much energy to sustain the training program I was attempting to do.

Last edited:
Which beach are you at?

I wish I could run or do any type of physical activity. Pretty limited right now, running and going up and down stairs are difficult. Interesting enough it hasn't affected my golf swing any, although reading putts has been interesting. #spidermanstyle

Corolla in OBX of NC. Going to try an hour run each of the next 4 days in the early AM. We'll see...

Basically.

Which Paleo are young going off of?

After reading Paleo for Athletes which talks about the importance of carbs after certain activities (workouts, training, etc) and the need for certain sugars (before and during certain activities) and consulting my dietitian, I got a better idea on how to use the Paleo diet, for more than just maintaining my current weight but to help me with my workouts.

I follow the 80% rule from Paleo for Athletes. Which basically means 80% of my diet of pure Paleo, the other 20% is not. For example; I was going for a 60 mile ride on Sunday morning, so according to that diet, the need for carbs before that workout was there as I was going to need the sustained energy. Following that ride, good carbs were also needed to replenish what I burned off.

It's not that 20% of what I eat for every meal is non Paleo, it's just that when I need something non Paleo, I can have it, as long as I restrict my diet at other times.

Having once gone full Paleo, I found that after about a week I was losing too much energy to sustain the training program I was attempting to do.
That makes perfect sense, get sugar and carbs pre and post workout for the insilun spike. I am eating a banana both pre and post. I will listen to my body and adjust as needed, I like that 80 percent idea

I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a number I hadn't seen in about two years. It shouldn't have been a surprise - I have reached that horrible place where clothes don't fit like they should and I haven't felt so great. Anyway, the number was finally enough to get me off my backside and started with something - anything - to reduce my BFFF (Big Fat F#*^ Factor). Day 1 is in the books: no sugars or sodas, almost no carbs; lots of proteins (not necessarily good ones, but it's a start) and green veggies; about 22 minutes doing cardio, balance, core and yoga exercises on Wii. Now for some water and to repeat it tomorrow.

Keep at it T4K. It'll become second nature soon enough.

Just in case anybody is interested, Stronglifts is pretty darn legit. It's a simple program that is really easy to follow and really effective. It's also free.

Remind me about that in about a month bg.

All of the summer exercise is great, but man, I need to get back to stretching more. Waaaaaay too stiff when I wake up nowadays. Not good.
DDP yoga! It's awesome

I went with one of my go to breakfasts when I am trying to eat healthy: Overnight oats.

Just take some rolled oats (not instant or anything like that), some greek yogurt, skim milk, and a little bit of cinnamon and put it all in a jar overnight.

When you wake up in the morning the oats have absorbed the liquid and you have a yummy healthy breakfast.

Had a great run! Ran with a friend that is faster than me, she really pushed me hard and We ran 4.15 miles in 32 min. With a personal best 5k of 23min 42sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back