No way, my recycled Srixons do the trick and don't ruin my wallet. Quite honestly, I don't think they can improve on the balls currently in play that would justify such an increase in price.

I tend to agree with you.
If you look back through the years, the same was said for golf shoes, graphite shafts, gloves, etc. Why pay $20 for a glove when you can get a garbage one for $5. Because to some, it works better. Why pay $45 for a ball when you can pay $25 for one with a urethane cover? Why pay $50 for a golf shirt when one from Walmart costs $10?

I do find it hard to believe nobody would pay extra for something they actually saw worked for them and significantly.

This statement doesn't quite fit with golf balls. Unless something unusual happens, I'm going to have that $50 shirt (shaft, club, shoes etc) for several years. Other items also have some kind of resale value as well. The same can't be said for an ~$8 golf ball.

I will admit, if I got to the point where my golf balls averaged 2 rounds a pop and the distance gain was significant, then yes I may spring for them in tournaments. Until then, the "value" just isn't there.

This statement doesn't quite fit with golf balls. Unless something unusual happens, I'm going to have that $50 shirt (shaft, club, shoes etc) for several years. Other items also have some kind of resale value as well. The same can't be said for an ~$8 golf ball.

I will admit, if I got to the point where my golf balls averaged 2 rounds a pop and the distance gain was significant, then yes I may spring for them in tournaments. Until then, the "value" just isn't there.

But it does fit gloves, which was used later and for what its worth golf balls.
There are urethane balls that are $25 a dozen by a major brand.
There are urethane balls that are $45 a dozen by major brands.
Why do people pay for the more expensive? Performance? Maybe. This would be no different. Double the cost, just as the other is close to.

I would not. I lose balls much too often to be paying that much for a dozen of balls no matter the benefits. I won't even spend $45 now....

More of a noodle long and soft guy aren't you?

~Rock

Probably not. Its hard for me to justify 44.99/dozen that the Bridgestones I play cost. I'm not in a position to buy $100/dozen balls, new drivers every 6 months, new putters every other month, or some of the other stuff that many here buy on a regular basis. Would I be impressed with the ball? Sure I would be. But the impression would then become just whatever once I saw the $100/dozen price point. I fret over every golf purchase I make to be sure I'm getting exactly what I want for a price I handle. I could never handle $100/dozen golf balls.

Okay, I have a question for the THPers out there. Most of us love our golf equipment. We love the game and the lifestyle. We spend endless amounts of time talking about honing our gear to match our games and get the most out of it.

Let's say you stumbled across a golf ball on the course with a brand you had never heard of, or maybe you had heard about them but did not even know they made golf balls. You got to play it for a couple of holes and you saw more distance and more spin than you have seen in the past.

Lets say you took that ball to a launch monitor and again saw more distance off the tee and ridiculous amount of spin greenside. Then you found out it was a new ball coming to market and it was $100 a dozen. Could you spring for it?

For me it would all depend on how large the gains were. If they were 15-20 yards further for me, just as durable, and had the same amount of green side control as the ball I play now, then yes I'd probably spring for them. It would be tough though, because that comes out to almost $10 a ball.

No. I refuse to pay $45 to $50 so it's hard to imagine paying $100. I guess it is theoretically possible, but they would have to be light years better than other stuff on the market.

Okay, I have a question for the THPers out there. Most of us love our golf equipment. We love the game and the lifestyle. We spend endless amounts of time talking about honing our gear to match our games and get the most out of it.

Let's say you stumbled across a golf ball on the course with a brand you had never heard of, or maybe you had heard about them but did not even know they made golf balls. You got to play it for a couple of holes and you saw more distance and more spin than you have seen in the past.

Lets say you took that ball to a launch monitor and again saw more distance off the tee and ridiculous amount of spin greenside. Then you found out it was a new ball coming to market and it was $100 a dozen. Could you spring for it?

I would not. 100 dollars is a LOT of money for 12 balls that could be lost in heartbeat. Plus, with the potential for scuffing, they simply don't last long enough.

I've got a hard enough time justifying the purchase of premium balls at their current price. Raising that number will only deter me.

I would not. For lack of a better statement, I have my game right where I want it. I know all my club distances and tendencies. I know how the ball is going to react on the green. Adding a superball to all that would just throw me off and I'd be lost. I don't get to play enough to have the time to relearn everything again. Plus, I just wouldn't pay that much.

Now if I had the disposable income to buy the superballs I'd probably revamp my bag to learn everything again fresh without messing up my current game. If I had the time and money to do all that, sure, I'd give them a try, but not in my current position.

But it does fit gloves, which was used later and for what its worth golf balls.
There are urethane balls that are $25 a dozen by a major brand.
There are urethane balls that are $45 a dozen by major brands.
Why do people pay for the more expensive? Performance? Maybe. This would be no different. Double the cost, just as the other is close to.

But in the mind of the consumer thats not that big of a jump. $20 bucks isn't a large jump to a very, very large segment of the comsumer population....10 to 50 is, 50 to 100 is, 100 to 500, 500 to 1000, 1000 to 2000, I think you get the point. At lower dollar (under 50 in my opinion) amounts that double, even triple isn't that big of deal. Does the cheap version at 5 bucks to the better version at 10 bucks sound that bad? But you just doubled the cost. Now does the cheap version at 50 bucks sound better than the better version 100 bucks? Thats a big jump in most peoples mind, but its still only double. I see it every day in my work.

Having once suffered the awkward 'horror' of a fishing buddy strip down and dive into a nasty water moccasin infested lake for an expensive Japanese bass plug I gotta say NO to $100 balls. Hate to someday see a Judge Smails looking dude dive in on the course.

No. I'm not going to hit what essentially amounts to a club a month into the woods and/or drink.

No way. Unless it was a Titleist, then I would have Jacqui get them since she gets hers for free. (I know, it is supposed to be a brand I never heard of!)

If the performance gain was significant, I'd probably spring for a dozen every so often.

A $30 bottle of Scotch does the same job as a $100 bottle, but sometimes you've got to splurge for the nicer bottle, which is usually much better. In the same way, the $30 balls will do the job, but when you really need the extra performance, the $100 balls come out.

Nope. I still cringe at paying $50 a dozen for balls, so unless I were at a level where I never lost balls anymore, I just couldnt do it because it would make me so angry every time I hooked one into the woods.

Since this a hypothetical, if the ball gave me 15+ yards, was straighter and helped me around the greens and I saw a significant score reduction when using that ball of at least 5 strokes a round then yes I would use it rounds in tournaments, money games, etc but not casual rounds if all it took was changing a ball.

Not sure about the brand name vs generic thing either based on my shopping and viewing others at Costco, Sams Club, etc when I see thousands of people everyday buying store brand products vs brand name products, those store brand products are around as demand has increased for them.

No way. I lose balls way too fast

I'm looking for cheaper good balls for how many I lose. Sure, some of the ones i lose are because i got time and i'll try to launch another ball because i wasn't satisfied with my strike. But it's just too easy to lose balls in the rough to justify a $8 golf ball. I'll stick with my MG C4 Tour or whatever refurbs i decide to go with on ebay. i prefer the $1-2 range.

Last edited:
I think I would be too paranoid of losing them to actually take advantage of any of the benefits the ball offers.

I would pay it, but not regularly.

I still wait for the 45 balls to be had for sub $30 via coupons or the like. Not going to happen at full retail regardless of the review, praise...will just wait to find one somebody lost.

I would just watch for them to show up in the Deal of the Day thread and pick some up at a nicely discounted price.

At that average price of $25 a round (I use 3 balls a round) over 30 rounds a year it would cost me $750 a year to use this ball. I don't think I could stomach the additional $500 a year for more spin and distance that may or may not improve my scores.

If the premise were changed to "You will play 2-3 strokes better with this ball" then you have my attention.

Back