The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I read that in the other thread Joe, it was a great post. #4 is the one I think most people should pay attention to, because stuff like that happens every year at this event.

I read that in the other thread Joe, it was a great post. #4 is the one I think most people should pay attention to, because stuff like that happens every year at this event.

Yup - especially with all of the talk about getting in early to play practice rounds and such. I would be all for seeing the courses up close and in person prior to playing in such a competitive event, but would caution about over extending one's body prior to the bright lights coming on.

Great thoughts Joe. This year I have played more matches and money games than I have in my life trying to get outside my comfort zone. Each time out it is helping me to deal with the ebb and flow of match play, which has been mentioned so many times in prep talk. Your conditioning thoughts are spot on as well.

JM

You are so right dude, over working and the heat are a recipe for dehydration and disaster. The weather this year is very reminiscent of 2012 and I can't remember a time where I've ever sweated so much during a round. It's great for staying loose but you can get overcome by it quickly if we're not careful.

Yup - especially with all of the talk about getting in early to play practice rounds and such. I would be all for seeing the courses up close and in person prior to playing in such a competitive event, but would caution about over extending one's body prior to the bright lights coming on.

I agree with this completely, and I have little doubt a few guys will fall victim to this again. I think it is important that everyone know what their limit is, and gear their practice round schedule as well as the number of balls they hit at the range with the understanding of what is to come for the weekend. Particularly important for those guys who don't have the opportunity to play in the soupy combo of 90+ degree heat and 80-90% humidity.

I'm signed up for three practice rounds, but I figure one of them is going to be alt shot, and the single round is to get a feel for the course. It would not surprise me if I spend some of the round on Weds I get in sort of just taking in the course and understanding where my game will get me from a singles perspective.

I think the real thing I'll have to watch myself on is hitting balls at the range on Friday. That's where I think I stand the chance of really wearing myself out unintentionally, much more so than playing a couple rounds.

You are so right dude, over working and the heat are a recipe for dehydration and disaster. The weather this year is very reminiscent of 2012 and I can't remember a time where I've ever sweated so much during a round. It's great for staying loose but you can get overcome by it quickly if we're not careful.

that year was brutal.

I'm signed up for three practice rounds, but I figure one of them is going to be alt shot, and the single round is to get a feel for the course. It would not surprise me if I spend some of the round on Weds I get in sort of just taking in the course and understanding where my game will get me from a singles perspective.

I think the real thing I'll have to watch myself on is hitting balls at the range on Friday. That's where I think I stand the chance of really wearing myself out unintentionally, much more so than playing a couple rounds.

Friday is key. It is going to be so tempting to spend hours and hours dialing in the new clubs and distances - but this is where the most damage can be done.

I agree with this completely, and I have little doubt a few guys will fall victim to this again. I think it is important that everyone know what their limit is, and gear their practice round schedule as well as the number of balls they hit at the range with the understanding of what is to come for the weekend. Particularly important for those guys who don't have the opportunity to play in the soupy combo of 90+ degree heat and 80-90% humidity.

I can play in the heat 36 without issue, but after I get worn down pretty fast on the range. I probably won't spend too much time pounding range balls, as I won't want to wear myself out and I don't expect it will take too long to feel comfortable with the new equipment.

I can tell that the time on the range is spent working out but also catching up with the boys. You don't need to spend too much time digging holes on the range. Use your normal distances as a guage and either add or subtract from that. The swing you bring to MB is the swing that will be there Friday.

I can tell that the time on the range is spent working out but also catching up with the boys. You don't need to spend too much time digging holes on the range. Use your normal distances as a guage and either add or subtract from that. The swing you bring to MB is the swing that will be there Friday.

like it or not, that's the truth

Lots of good tips, jlukes, and #4 is my biggest concern. I don't think I need a ton of time on the range since I've already got many Bridgestone clubs in my bag, so maybe 5 swings with each to get distances then I can hang out with guys or head to the putting green. I think I will alter the way I approach the team practice round and not play it like a normal round but just hit select shots that might need worked on. The 18 on Wednesday will be treated as a normal round to get me ready for singles, though.

You ain't gonna find your game on the range at True Blue. Everyone has prepared in their own way and it is what it is. I know some think they'll find something between now and then but its highly unlikely. That isn't a personal attack on anyone just the facts as it relates to the golf swing. If I had to give on bit of advice to the crew coming to MB. When you get your gear, get to know it through feel, yardages and trajectory. Don't start putting different moves on it to get what you are sued to seeing. Chances are the brand new gear is going to react differently than the gear people are currently gaming.

There are going to be a lot of emotions on the range that Friday. A lot of talking one's self into what you are seeing. The sooner you embrace what you have in your hands and what you are seeing out that equipment, the better prepared you bill when it comes time to play.
like it or not, that's the truth

Isn't that the truth. I know for a fact that I'll have to adjust with the driver and not because I have any clue what my driver is going to be like. I just learned that through hitting a bunch of others over the last two years. None were the same or gave me that same comfy feeling. The trick will be seeing what it offers and then accomdate that for a few rounds.

You ain't gonna find your game on the range at True Blue. Everyone has prepared in their own way and it is what it is. I know some think they'll find something between now and then but its highly unlikely. That isn't a personal attack on anyone just the facts as it relates to the golf swing. If I had to give on bit of advice to the crew coming to MB. When you get your gear, get to know it through feel, yardages and trajectory. Don't start putting different moves on it to get what you are sued to seeing. Chances are the brand new gear is going to react differently than the gear people are currently gaming.

There are going to be a lot of emotions on the range that Friday. A lot of talking one's self into what you are seeing. The sooner you embrace what you have in your hands and what you are seeing out that equipment, the better prepared you bill when it comes time to play.

I may hit some irons just to get a feel but majority of my time will be in the short game area.

I'll be gambling for hugs at the 60 yard flag. Come and take me on if you dare.

I don't know about Hawkhugs, you guys ever see how much he sweats in Myrtle? #Puddles

I don't know about Hawkhugs, you guys ever see how much he sweats in Myrtle? #Puddles

Dont worry, there will be plenty of champagne being poured on him to cool him off Sunday afternoon. :alien:

I'm with you on that one. I might not even want to high five him.

This may be the correct answer lol. Hoping a clothing sponsor change helps that a little though!

The second part is what I'm most looking forward to - meeting and getting to know all of the other guys down there. I don't envision it taking a ton of time to get used to the new clubs. The driver/woods are probably the only wildcard.

Back