The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I thought of a few questions today, Barry covered one with what hole you looking forward to.
I have a couple more:

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending? Nerfny is supportive, although I know she is sick of it. Not being a captain this year has certainly limited my talking about potential pairings. So I haven't been bothering her too much with talk about it as compared to years past.

2: will any good luck piece or significant/ sentimental item be accompanying you to Myrtle Beach?
Team THP ball marker. Not sure what else really. Icey's dad made us a thing after the MC last year that I have had clipped to whatever bag I am using at the time. I use it as a reminder to just have fun with the game when things aren't going so well. There is a chance that will make the trip as well.

And a quick thank you for welcoming not only mine, but others questions about the event. Thank you for your candid answers, it really brings the THP readership into the event on a personal level.

Thank you!

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending? Nerfny is supportive, although I know she is sick of it. Not being a captain this year has certainly limited my talking about potential pairings. So I haven't been bothering her too much with talk about it as compared to years past.

2: will any good luck piece or significant/ sentimental item be accompanying you to Myrtle Beach?
Team THP ball marker. Not sure what else really. Icey's dad made us a thing after the MC last year that I have had clipped to whatever bag I am using at the time. I use it as a reminder to just have fun with the game when things aren't going so well. There is a chance that will make the trip as well.

Side not: CJ you have been a great supporter of this event. Thank you for that.

This has been a pretty exciting process for most of us "Rookies" and the anticipation is building more and more every day. For the new guys this year, what have you learned about yourself during the process of building your game and preparing for The Morgan Cup?

I've learned that I can always challenge myself to be better and I can always improve, I've learned that no matter how well I play, golf is the great equalizer, I've learned that I'm a stronger person with a great team behind me, I've learned that anything can be accomplished through hard work and perseverance, I've learned that everyone's journey to Myrtle is different but the joy is the same, I've learned that no one's right or wrong, just different, I've learned that SeeMore makes one hell of a putter and that Cobra has some outstanding equipment.

I have played in plenty of big tournaments during my life having played so much junior and college golf but there is just something that still grabs a hold of me with this one and I cannot take my mind or my effort off of it. The prep that I have put in for my game, my body and my mind is something I have always wanted to do but just couldnt get my hind end motivated enough to do it. I started with a game plan and told my wife to keep me on track and dont let no be an answer in my vocabulary. I had talked about my injury in the past on here and this was just what I needed to take that hurdle from havign the mentatlity of being somewhat disabled to being someone that can do anything... it just might take a little more time. I feel my plan has worked and I am so excited for the next couple of weeks to get the final prep done and get to work in Myrtle. Rookies and Vets alike are in for the ebst weekend possible and I cannot wait to share every second with all of you

For those who are returning or have played the courses before which hole for each course are you itching for another crack at?

I've been thinking about this one. The 11th hole at Caledonia is a par 3, that outside of my first round, I have struggled with. Not sure why, but I have been 0/3 at hitting the green, with 2 being in the hazard.

As for a shot I'd like to hit again. The 2nd shot on 17 at True Blue last year is really one swing that I just regret hitting. Instead of taking my hybrid, I tried to take more club(5 wood) and lay off it and I pulled it on top of the hill left of the green.

I will say I am looking forward to getting a crack at 17 and 18 on Caledonia as well. I've only played those holes once.

I've been thinking about this one. The 11th hole at Caledonia is a par 3, that outside of my first round, I have struggled with. Not sure why, but I have been 0/3 at hitting the green, with 2 being in the hazard.

As for a shot I'd like to hit again. The 2nd shot on 17 at True Blue last year is really one swing that I just regret hitting. Instead of taking my hybrid, I tried to take more club(5 wood) and lay off it and I pulled it on top of the hill left of the green.

I will say I am looking forward to getting a crack at 17 and 18 on Caledonia as well. I've only played those holes once.

18 on Caledonia for me - 100%

This has been a pretty exciting process for most of us "Rookies" and the anticipation is building more and more every day. For the new guys this year, what have you learned about yourself during the process of building your game and preparing for The Morgan Cup?

I've learned that I can always challenge myself to be better and I can always improve, I've learned that no matter how well I play, golf is the great equalizer, I've learned that I'm a stronger person with a great team behind me, I've learned that anything can be accomplished through hard work and perseverance, I've learned that everyone's journey to Myrtle is different but the joy is the same, I've learned that no one's right or wrong, just different, I've learned that SeeMore makes one hell of a putter and that Cobra has some outstanding equipment.

Great, great post.

It's been a challenge for me to get my game where I want it to be. It's not as sharp or as honed as I would like, but it'll have to do at this point. That being said, I've seen great improvements over the last 6 or 7 months. I've learned what it takes to improve and that improvements can be made if you are willing to put in the time and effort. I've learned not to take good rounds for granted and to shrug off the bad ones. I feel like I've grown up a bit in terms of my demeanor on the course and my ability to move on from bad shots and holes. I've learned that going this journey and sharing it with your teammates, makes it so much more meaningful and fun.

For those who are returning or have played the courses before which hole for each course are you itching for another crack at?
#16, #17 & #18 at TB, never played them!

Each hole at both courses are very unique and pose their own special place in my heart. But if I could pick just one then it would be the 15th hole at True Blue and the 16th at Caledonia.

In last years Sunday's singles I went 3 down to tclutch after the first 3 holes. I grinded my way around the course but had cut his lead down to 1 up after I birdied the 13th and pared the 14th. I had huge momentum with 4 holes to go. I hit a perfect drive starting off the par 5 and had about 230 yards left to the green. I grabbed the hybrid and hit probably the worst shot of my week there, into the trees on the right. I went for the miracle chip, off pine straw through the trees and almost caught it perfect but caught it a bit thin and went over the green. Being behind the 15th green was dead. He went on to win that hole. That was a huge turning point hole in the match.

The 16th at Caledonia has a very difficult tee shot. Trees right, trees left and it's a slight dog leg right. For some reason it just doesn't set up for me when I stand on the box. In our alt. shot match there Saturday I hit a good tee shot but it went too long through the fairway and it put my partner in a bad spot. I'm looking forward to playing that hole again and figuring it out.

I thought of a few questions today, Barry covered one with what hole you looking forward to.
I have a couple more:

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending?

And a quick thank you for welcoming not only mine, but others questions about the event. Thank you for your candid answers, it really brings the THP readership into the event on a personal level.

Thank you!
CJ, I'll be honest, my wife is ready for this to be over. We both work and we have 3 kiddos under the age of 8. This is my second year to prepare and play in this event. She has picked up the slack on the kid front when I was out practicing and playing golf. Honestly, I can't blame here much for wanting it to be over. But without her I wouldn't have been able to get my game where it needed to be.

I found this while pulling up photos for some stuff I'm posting in the Marketplace. Gave me goosebumbps

5985B2D2-3031-450A-B3A4-87E1B3C04375.jpg

I have a couple more:

1: what is your significant others view on the Morgan cup, and what kind of support are they lending?

Thank you!

1. My wife knows it means a lot to me, but to be honest she's ready for a new point of discussion in our daily lives. In addition, she's still not super excited that I am missing our ten year wedding anniversary. I'll be paying this one back for at least a year or two to be honest.

2. Hadn't really thought about that. In a traditional sense no, but the entire event will be largely sentimental for me.

1. My wife knows it means a lot to me, but to be honest she's ready for a new point of discussion in our daily lives. In addition, she's still not super excited that I am missing our ten year wedding anniversary. I'll be paying this one back for at least a year or two to be honest.

2. Hadn't really thought about that. In a traditional sense no, but the entire event will be largely sentimental for me.

I will give you a lock of my hair that you can keep in your pocket all weekend for good luck.

I found this while pulling up photos for some stuff I'm posting in the Marketplace. Gave me goosebumbps

5985B2D2-3031-450A-B3A4-87E1B3C04375.jpg

I can't imagine ever deleting the PMs I got from Morgan and MWard letting me know I was selected, and welcoming me to DotCom. I had the biggest smile on my face for at least 2-3 days after I found out.

It hasn't been overly supportive. Lately she's become more understanding as to why I'm practicing and playing so much, but she still doesn't like it. She did say the other day that she can't wait for this to be over so I can stop obsessing about my golf game. It's really tough for both of us with her travel, my heavy work schedule, our 5 year old and my golfing.

Well, my dad is coming down. So that's a little of both. I've also got an Aussie $.50 piece that a person I met while on vacation gave me at the end of the trip. I gave him my lucky Kennedy Half dollar and he gave me his lucky Elizabeth half dollar. It only comes out for big events....like hockey games and the Morgan Cup

I love the questions! Keep them coming. I like reading about others too.

Its getting a little creepy in here today. Someone talk about the weather before Ricky has to start shaving his back to make souvenirs.

Its getting a little creepy in here today. Someone talk about the weather before Ricky has to start shaving his back to make souvenirs.

you should hear him in the Team Room #awkward

you should hear him in the Team Room #awkward

Yeah. Have Hawk talk about going camping.. But I'm the weirdo.

To be honest, not that well. It's not that my wife wouldn't be happy for me or that she would think that golf is stupid, it's more that she is worried about how she will handle two kids, 2,5 years old toddler and a 4 month old infant. She knows that everyone will survive and it's not a long time I'm away, but she can't help feeling quite alone when I'm away. I completely understand her. Of course it's also a money issue, I know there's lots of things where we could put some money into, but she knows I've worked extra to get some extra cash for my golf activities. She is happy for me and she thinks it's a cool thing, she just doesn't want to be reminded of the fact that she's alone for over a week.

Most likely my favorite ball marker. iPhone filled with photos of the kids.

Great questions!

For those headed to the MC for the first time I'm sure everyone has checked out and done some study on the layouts at True Blue and Caledonia. Is there a hole at each course that you are looking forward to the challenge of playing?

I'd love to play 18 at True Blue with a match on the line. A beautiful finishing hole.

The first - my partners understand my love for this place and the game of golf, even though they don't share my interest. Richard remembers last year's Outing fondly, and sends his regards to you all. They've encouraged my practice, pushed back dinners for my practice sessions and rounds, and fully supported my efforts to lose the weight I have in this process. While they aren't into golf, they understand what this family and this event means to me. Have there been strains on our relationship due to all the practice and golf? Sometimes. It's been difficult to balance my life with my partners, my job as a SPED teacher, and my THP time/practice in spots. In the end, they love me and want me to put it all out there in MB.

Related to the first question, the only sentimental item that will be coming with me to MB is a necklace that each of us own, just as a reminder of how much they truly love and support me. I'll be wearing that the entire weekend.

2 weeks from today it begins.

Yowzers.....time continues to fly. Hope everyone is ready. We are ALMOST there!

Yessir, it will be here before we know it.

I can't believe we are this close. The closer we get, the more and more the MC occupies my thoughts.

yep, two weeks from today probably about this time, you guys will be finsihing breakfast and getting ready for the unbelievable Staff Sponsor Day. Man, I wish we were able to watch that live somehow. It will be truly spectacular.

What a sleepless night last night was. I expect the same two weeks from now. Right about now I'll be finishing up breakfast waiting for those volunteers to usher us to the range.

Back