No More Giant Candy Bars

Was waiting for this. "It's just a candy bar."

Yes it's small but it's just another step in telling people how they need to live their lives. People need to make their own decisions.

I don't think this is the government regulating. Just a independent company making a decision.

They are going to remove the king-size, and stores are going to start offering buy two, get one free deals.

#ProblemNotSolved

Sounds like some thing they might do

So what about the enormous bag of M&Ms?????

Peanut m&ms are my weakness

What is happening to this world.

I just don't get it.

What happened to making your own decisions and accepting the consequences whether good or bad.

Does anyone have any sense of accountability any more?

No chance. Insurance will cover the pill that takes care of whatever ails ya.

Well at least the sanctity of marshmallow creme is still intact.

If anyone thinks this is anything but purely profit driven you're crazy...reduce size by 50%, reduce price by 10% (if anything)...and if consumers don't fall for it, they'll do a 180 on this faster than you can say "You're not you when you're hungry"...

edit: that's what i get for replying before reading the thread. I agree 100% Fupresti

I can't remember the last time I ate a big candy bar. I like the minis personally.

Yah it's weird. I have access to all this stuff yet I weigh 195 lbs at 6'5. I even managed to lose 90 lbs~ all by myself when I was humongous fat.

They want you to eat healthy yet the cost of everything healthy is about double what the crap costs. You can eat hot dogs all week for like 50$ but it costs my wife and I about 250$ a week to eat healthy.

Did somebody say hot dogs? I love hot dogs.... Slight char please, mustard and sweet onions. :act-up:

JM

Yah it's weird. I have access to all this stuff yet I weigh 195 lbs at 6'5. I even managed to lose 90 lbs~ all by myself when I was humongous fat.

They want you to eat healthy yet the cost of everything healthy is about double what the crap costs. You can eat hot dogs all week for like 50$ but it costs my wife and I about 250$ a week to eat healthy.

Whose "they"?

The government. Media. Food companies. Fitness trainers.

Would you like me to continue?
Our friends and family haha

The government. Media. Food companies. Fitness trainers.

Would you like me to continue?

This is one food company making a decision. There is plenty of competition that will sell 1500 calorie candy bars. Let the market do it's thing.

Yes. There are groups that want the populace to eat healthier. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

This is one food company making a decision. There is plenty of competition that will sell 1500 calorie candy bars. Let the market do it's thing.

Yes. There are groups that want the populace to eat healthier. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing.

It isn't.

Until you take into account how expensive it is.

It's no wonder this country is obese.

I'm getting off topic. I apologize.

It isn't.

Until you take into account how expensive it is.

It's no wonder this country is obese.

I agree with you one that last part. It is an effort to eat healthier. But I also think that people don't know exactly how much food is in 2000 (just to pick a number) calories. It isn't that much. We are just used to eating so much bad food, because it is so cheap.

Or maybe they are doing this because sales didn't demand the shelf space and related costs. This is about profit. Make more of fewer items. That increases efficiency and increases profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a good thing for companies to move in this direction. The constant race to see who can create the menu item with the most calories has to end. Fast-food joints are creating stuff which are just gross. A double-cheesburger with an onion ring on top and a pretzel bun? Really?

Americans certainly have a reputation for being overweight. I know - I'm one of them. But I contend if Europeans had a Wendy's and McDonald's on every corner and the enormous portion sizes we have, you'd see an explosion of obesity in Europe too. Getting the American food culture into something more sensible will only make it easier for Americans to maintain a healthy weight.

I couldn't tell you the last time I had a full-sized candy bar. I'm quite proud that wince I've been at new job, nearly 4 years, I have not spent one cent at the vending machines that sit less than 20 feet outisde my office door.

A funny story though, played golf with a guy, friend of a friend type, that brought his fiance to walk along with us. Another guy's wife like to watch us play and is fairly helpful tending the flag, finding balls & such.

So this other guy's fiance, brings two king-sized PayDays with her. Ate both of them over the course of our round... yet we never saw her eating them... weird.

I think it's a good thing for companies to move in this direction. The constant race to see who can create the menu item with the most calories has to end. Fast-food joints are creating stuff which are just gross. A double-cheesburger with an onion ring on top and a pretzel bun? Really?

Americans certainly have a reputation for being overweight. I know - I'm one of them. But I contend if Europeans had a Wendy's and McDonald's on every corner and the enormous portion sizes we have, you'd see an explosion of obesity in Europe too. Getting the American food culture into something more sensible will only make it easier for Americans to maintain a healthy weight.

Not until it's affordable.

It's also a completely different lifestyle over there. Granted things have changed since I lived there but people were way more laid back, didn't work twelve hour days and had time to shop for fresh produce every night.

Peanut m&ms are my weakness

This hit home. I can literally go a couple years without any. But then I'm prone to downing a whole Giant bag in one sitting :)

Mars Inc., the candy giant that makes Snickers bars and M&M's, will stop selling products that have more than 250 calories per serving size as part of a new nutrition initiative, the Chicago Tribune reported Thursday.

That spells the end of the king-size Snickers bar, containing 510 calories -- though the company notes a serving size is only one-third of a bar. A regular-sized Snickers bar has 280 calories.

"Mars has a broad-based commitment to health and nutrition, and this includes a number of global initiatives," the company said in a statement.

The company, whose brands also include Twix, Skittles, and Combos, will stop shipping chocolate products that contain more than 250 calories per serving size by the end of 2013, the Tribune reported.

Mars also said it will eliminate trans fats from its products and aims, by 2015, to cut sodium in its products by 25 percent from 2007 levels.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/16/no-more-king-size-candy-bars-mars-inc-says/
I will just eat three of them then.

What is happening to this world.

I just don't get it.

What happened to making your own decisions and accepting the consequences whether good or bad.

Does anyone have any sense of accountability any more
?

JRod,
That went away 20+ years ago when they started handing out gold stars to all of the students regardless of behavior as well as trophys for all of the participants because everyone "wins".

Blu,
Regardless if this was an independent business decision or one that was brought on by adhering to government regulations, the reality is that consumers will just pay more to buy 2 bars and additional wrappers (if not just thrown on the ground) will be headed to landfills.

This news is the most Un-American thing I've read today. Sad.

Back