The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

You boys will be scrambling like a bunch of fleas on a dawg this time next week! :bomb:

I love the fact that I will be in Myrtle this time next week.

Side note on that, probably should know a bit about the equipment too, just in case that involved somehow. May not need it, but better safe then sorry!

I know that my equipment is LOOOOONG and was constructed by aliens in a secret facility in the Black Hills. :alien:

On a more serious note, I would imagine anything they would want us to say and recorded, other than our opinions on the clubs would be scripted. I'm not going to put too much thought into it though. I've read enough here and on the cobra site, as well as hit the clubs to know what they're about.

475583839__-RickieFowler-Promo-Equi-Cobra-DDAschheim-470.jpg

The End Of An Era

We are quickly approaching an anniversary of sorts for this event. What started as a hair brained idea that was laughed at by a few in this industry has begun something so unique and so cherished that the selection process and journey is as sought after attention wise as the actual event. The birth of the Morgan Cup rose from immediate and laughable death to become one of the Iconic events in just a few short years and with each iteration has brought changes for the better and capping that off with this year's version being completely different.

The history of the event while short in tenure has been something my wife and I are incredibly proud of capping off with last year's ending that meant quite a bit to me personally as was demonstrated in the celebration video and me getting a bit emotional. Some understood it, others thought it was a bit weird, but that 90 minutes (last putt to video) was something I will never forget.

We said it was not going to be done again and it woud end on that note, but when push came to shove and I was writing up the recap, saying a tearful goodbye to something that was special for me, something happened. The honest to God truth was that while writing that up last year, we were in fact ending it. Then as I moved towards that final paragraph I had a change of heart and with the line "Eff it, let's do it again" I could feel my blood pumping with the ideas for all of the changes. It wasn't until that instant that the thought of bringing it back was considered and when the namesake saw what it meant to me, she was on board.

The signups were different, the announcements were different and of course the entire journey process was completely different...All leading to a weekend that is unlike Morgan Cup's in the past. There are some constants that do not change in an event like this, but those are what they are and don't need to be addressed. This year will cap an amazing run that started when THP had but a couple of events to now where it features about 15 including multiple grand events throughout the year.

The bonds are special. The competition is invigorating. The journey is captivating. The entire event that spawned from a handwritten outline on the back of an envelope has culminated in 40 golfers giving it their all for 3 days in Myrtle Beach at one of the finest golf courses around...Each staffed by some of the largest manufacturers in the world providing them tour level treatment unheard of anywhere else. THP started that. THP will finish that.

Since that time the events have grown, the bonds can be frequent and with each new launch, the trepedation is similar and each time it is shown how special a they are. I know some will immediately think of sadness or disappointment, but I assure everybody, do not feel that way, as THP has shown, it's where creativity and unique are born. This event will always hold a special place in my heart and I know that this one in particular will cap it off in grand fashion the way few could do. It will be a special weekend in less than two weeks and the memories created will last forever.

I offer you a round of applause for completing this special event in the way it was done. All of you deserve what is coming and each of you did it in your own way. The way it was supposed to be...Has always been your own way...Not someone elses. I wish you a final good luck on your journey and think you are in for a real treat full of wonderful golf, great equipment and amazing company. Good luck everybody, The Ultimate Golf Event Period is here!

On a more serious note, I would imagine anything they would want us to say and recorded, other than our opinions on the clubs would be scripted. I'm not going to put too much thought into it though. I've read enough here and on the cobra site, as well as hit the clubs to know what they're about.

You may want to go through previous Morgan Cup stuff then. NOTHING has been scripted. Key points discussed and that is it.
We script apparel, we do not believe in showcasing robots.

Thank you JB for that post. It's an honor to know I will be part of the final MC. I can't fathom the work it takes to put this on. And I wish I had a better way to show our appreciation

Good by you to continue to push the envelope when everyone else remains stagnant and satisfied with status quo.

I look forward to the future and will relish next weekend even more now

Side note on that, probably should know a bit about the equipment too, just in case that involved somehow. May not need it, but better safe then sorry!

So does that mean the Cleveland/Srixon guys are OK sitting there with shoulders shrugged :)

JB....I had a feeling a post like this was coming, didn't really expect it until after the event. But the timing is probably better this way. Now each of these 40 guys will know the "specialness" of this event just went up another notch if that was even possible.

We can only imagine the effort it has taken to grow this event each year, while also growing the events outside of the MC. We can't imagine the personal drain and toll it takes on you and Morgan.

Anwyay, no need for a long Eulogy of the MC. Because out of that whole post I think this sentence captured it best and most accurately

Quote from JB Post:

" I know some will immediately think of sadness or disappointment, but I assure everybody, do not feel that way, as THP has shown, it's where creativity and unique are born"

So with that, to you and everyone who has ever played, volunteered or spectated at THPMC, you indeed participated in a historic and special event...Cherish it.

Last edited:
Man, that makes me want to start packing right now. I glad I am headed out to play 18 and I will be thinking of the shots I need to make at TB and Caledonia the entire time.

The End Of An Era

We are quickly approaching an anniversary of sorts for this event. What started as a hair brained idea that was laughed at by a few in this industry has begun something so unique and so cherished that the selection process and journey is as sought after attention wise as the actual event. The birth of the Morgan Cup rose from immediate and laughable death to become one of the Iconic events in just a few short years and with each iteration has brought changes for the better and capping that off with this year's version being completely different.

The history of the event while short in tenure has been something my wife and I are incredibly proud of capping off with last year's ending that meant quite a bit to me personally as was demonstrated in the celebration video and me getting a bit emotional. Some understood it, others thought it was a bit weird, but that 90 minutes (last putt to video) was something I will never forget.

We said it was not going to be done again and it woud end on that note, but when push came to shove and I was writing up the recap, saying a tearful goodbye to something that was special for me, something happened. The honest to God truth was that while writing that up last year, we were in fact ending it. Then as I moved towards that final paragraph I had a change of heart and with the line "Eff it, let's do it again" I could feel my blood pumping with the ideas for all of the changes. It wasn't until that instant that the thought of bringing it back was considered and when the namesake saw what it meant to me, she was on board.

The signups were different, the announcements were different and of course the entire journey process was completely different...All leading to a weekend that is unlike Morgan Cup's in the past. There are some constants that do not change in an event like this, but those are what they are and don't need to be addressed. This year will cap an amazing run that started when THP had but a couple of events to now where it features about 15 including multiple grand events throughout the year.

The bonds are special. The competition is invigorating. The journey is captivating. The entire event that spawned from a handwritten outline on the back of an envelope has culminated in 40 golfers giving it their all for 3 days in Myrtle Beach at one of the finest golf courses around...Each staffed by some of the largest manufacturers in the world providing them tour level treatment unheard of anywhere else. THP started that. THP will finish that.

Since that time the events have grown, the bonds can be frequent and with each new launch, the trepedation is similar and each time it is shown how special a they are. I know some will immediately think of sadness or disappointment, but I assure everybody, do not feel that way, as THP has shown, it's where creativity and unique are born. This event will always hold a special place in my heart and I know that this one in particular will cap it off in grand fashion the way few could do. It will be a special weekend in less than two weeks and the memories created will last forever.

I offer you a round of applause for completing this special event in the way it was done. All of you deserve what is coming and each of you did it in your own way. The way it was supposed to be...Has always been your own way...Not someone elses. I wish you a final good luck on your journey and think you are in for a real treat full of wonderful golf, great equipment and amazing company. Good luck everybody, The Ultimate Golf Event Period is here!

This may be the last MC but Lord knows, you and Morgan are ALWAYS innovating and coming up with new and creative ways to bring the game of golf to the people. I am honored to be part of the last MC as well as whatever it is you two cook up in the future.

Thanks for those words JB. I am privileged and honored to take part in such a special event. I will admit I was sad as I was reading your post. As I thought about it THP is not going anywhere. I know it's just going to get bigger and better and I for one am great full to have a seat on that ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To know that I was one of the last players selected for this event (and convinced that I was going to miss it), it is incredibly moving to read JB's comments. There is a massive group of THPers who would have given anything to be where the lucky 40 of us get to stand next week. I have not forgotten that through this process.

But this post isn't about me. It's a "thank you" to Josh, Morgan and the people who make this site work. I don't know if anyone will get to have the experience that we will all get to share next week. None of it would be possible without THP.

As we wind down the final preparations for the MC, I will be mindful of the opportunities that this incredible community has provided, the people who have made this event possible, and the countless people who will be watching us perform.

Thank you all.

Let's go do some work!

I have to admit, I am sad that the MC is going away just because it has changed so many lives, including my own. Knowing the event was dead last year but was revived by the participants last year, I'm left thankful that I get to experience the event, but also wondering if there was anything we 40 could have done to make the event live on.

I know THP will continue to innovate, and the future is even brighter, but I have a feeling two and a half weeks from now will be really dusty knowing it is the finale.

Thanks THP for an amazing event four years in a row; something you never had to do, but appreciated by so many.

The End Of An Era

Bump because I am truly humbled and honored to be a part of this. Thank you Josh. Thank you Morgan. Thank you THP.

It's up to the 40 of us to make sure this event is honored with every ounce ability we can give it. I for one am honored to be a part of it and I will make sure I do everything to make it legendary.

This event has absolutely changed me and my golf game. So much positive impact, I am sad to see it end. This journey has been special and I enjoyed every minute of it with all of you!

I have to say, and be completely honest, that I feared this post was coming. I first became active on THP as the Morgan Cup participants were already selected for the 2013 MC
I watched the emotion, I watched as strangers became friends, Friends became brothers, that family feeling is what makes this place so special.

I desperately wanted to experience a sliver of that. The thought of becoming a Morgan Cupper, to be a true part of the brotherhood, to me cannot be expressed.
My strive for improvement in part had been fueled by the dream of someday getting to be a part of the best amateur golf event period, or as aptly renamed the best damn golf event period.
The shiny new clubs are definitely nice, but the meaning of the Morgan Cup to me meant: Self Improvement, teamwork, honor, pride, friendship, and commitment. All the other stuff was a bonus.

I am saddened that " Morgan Cupper" is something I'll never get to call myself.
Those who are Morgan Cuppers, congratulations!!, embrace every moment.

Thank you, Morgan, JB, and sponsors for making dreams come true through this fantastic event.

I believe in the vision of THP, status quo is not on the menu here. I look forward to the horizons, albeit through watery eyes...

Sorry for the babble.

First or last - doesn't change much for me. I've given it everything I've had since day one. I can't imagine the amount of resources this thing eats up, so understandable that it's got to go. It'll be sad to see the curtain drawn and I wish that more people could live it at least once, but the future is bright at THP.

You read my mind CJ.

I am also saddened I will never get a chance to participate in this, but like you said I know THP will us away in 2015

I have to say, and be completely honest, that I feared this post was coming. I first became active on THP as the Morgan Cup participants were already selected for the 2013 MC
I watched the emotion, I watched as strangers became friends, Friends became brothers, that family feeling is what makes this place so special.

I desperately wanted to experience a sliver of that. The thought of becoming a Morgan Cupper, to be a true part of the brotherhood, to me cannot be expressed.
My strive for improvement in part had been fueled by the dream of someday getting to be a part of the best amateur golf event period, or as aptly renamed the best damn golf event period.
The shiny new clubs are definitely nice, but the meaning of the Morgan Cup to me meant: Self Improvement, teamwork, honor, pride, friendship, and commitment. All the other stuff was a bonus.

I am saddened that " Morgan Cupper" is something I'll never get to call myself.
Those who are Morgan Cuppers, congratulations!!, embrace every moment.

Thank you, Morgan, JB, and sponsors for making dreams come true through this fantastic event.

I believe in the vision of THP, status quo is not on the menu here. I look forward to the horizons, albeit through watery eyes...

Sorry for the babble.

As I sit here reading JB's comments I am moved. This journey has been nothing short of amazing. It's been work, fun, and everything in between. Knowing that the curtain will be drawn adds even more "specialness" to what will take place next week. I am truly blessed to be among the fraternity of men that have been a part of this. The amount of work that goes into putting on an event of this stature must be exhausting. Thank you to JB, GG, the OEM's, and the volunteers for all your hard work.

I also had a feeling that this news was a matter of time. The golfing highlights of my life have occurred the last 2 summers on the beautiful grounds of True Blue & Caledonia participating in this event. It has been an absolute honor and I've enjoyed every step of the way while meeting some of the people that would turn into fantastic friends.

Next weekend will be bittersweet but I assure you that we will do it justice and end this 4 year run with one hell of a big BANG!

I can never thank Josh, Morgan, and the supporting OEM's for the opportunity to participate in the golfing experience of a lifetime. The Morgan Cup may be imitated, but it will never be duplicated....by anyone.

It has been a special honor to be one of the two individuals (Ddec being the other) who were participants in the first and the last Morgan Cup. It has been amazing to see how the event has grown from 16, to 24, to 32, to now 40 participants as the number of companies wanting to sponsor a squad has grown. It is amazing to think that over four iterations, more than 75 people have gotten to go through this journey at least once. As much as I love being a part of this event, it was equally amazing watching the people get to experience it knowing how incredible it is. Being able to lead one of the teams this year has been the absolute capper.

This event has changed me in many ways, but I don't feel sadness at this news. I am grateful for the sponsors that have supported this event. I am grateful for the volunteers who have spent their own money to come assist and document this event. I am grateful for all the forum members that supported and stayed excited. I am grateful to all the individuals who did a great job in keeping this event alive so that the 40 of us could experience it again. More than anything, I am grateful to Josh and Morgan for continuing to innovate and learn from everything they do, while never being afraid to try something new. Things never improve if they remain stagnant and unchallenged, and they know this better than most.

We have a great show to put on gentlemen, and we will do everything we can to send this event out in style.

I'm sad that I did not find THP sooner, to have had a chance to be a part of this event.

The Morgan Cup as an event has had one heck of a ride, I am greatly honored to have been selected to participate last year. I am so sad to see it go, but have no doubts THP has some grand plans in store for us all to even top it all next year!

For those participating this year, enjoy every moment of the last Morgan Cup, you have all put in a ton of work and leave it all out there in Myrtle. And above all else, HAVE FUN!!!

I feel ya CJ. I didn't think I could be any more excited to be volunteering for this years Morgan Cup. But then after reading JB's announcement, I feel even more honored and that much more excited to assist JB and Morgan in putting on the best Morgan Cup EVER. To be there to help with and to witness the end of the Morgan Cup Era will be very emotional indeed. A heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to JB and Morgan for such a great run with this event. I know it has been a long road to get to this point and I hope they truly know how many lives they have impacted just from this event alone, no to mention the countless others through THP. Well done friends, well done.

Back