Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what others thoughts were on tipping in certain situations that I have come across over the last few weeks and wasn't sure quite what to do.

1) Teppanyaki restaurant - Do you tip the chef separately? If so how much to the chef and how much on the bill?

2) Car side type service at a place like Applebee's. Do you tip? If so how much?

Japanese steak house always. 5 for two people 10 for 4. On top of tip server on bill.

Car side service at chain I never know how much but always tip. 5-10 usually.

Just wanted to see what others thoughts were on tipping in certain situations that I have come across over the last few weeks and wasn't sure quite what to do.

1) Teppanyaki restaurant - Do you tip the chef separately? If so how much to the chef and how much on the bill?

2) Car side type service at a place like Applebee's. Do you tip? If so how much?

Can't answer #1, but I don't tip in a situation like #2. I assume that means you're just picking up your food and they bring it out to your car? I don't tip in that situation, or pretty much anytime when I go and pick up my food from a restaurant. Typically I'm only giving a tip if there is a waiter/waitress involved with the meal.

Can't answer #1, but I don't tip in a situation like #2. I assume that means you're just picking up your food and they bring it out to your car? I don't tip in that situation, or pretty much anytime when I go and pick up my food from a restaurant. Typically I'm only giving a tip if there is a waiter/waitress involved with the meal.

Agreed. Them running out to my car is not tip worthy.

Many moons ago when I was in high school and worked the to go section of a restaurant 10% was usually standard for tipping. Some tipped way more and some not at all.

There is a Green Mill on the lake we frequent and we will order ahead and they bring it out to the dock. I gave the guy like $5 last time and he didn't know what to do. Seems like they don't get tipped very often.

#1, I usually tip the chef $10.

#2, I will tip $5 or so since I figure it goes into the pool of tips inside.

I usually tip 20% but if my drink stays empty too long then that percentage drops fast.

I tip everyone, sometimes over tip but I don't ever want to be "that" guy

When I worked in restaurants and did take out I did not get paid a full minimum wage rate because I was considered an employee who received tips, so if you can tip on take out you should.

Those people do more than just hand you your bag. They check the order, box up the food, prepare all your extras often make your salads, and spend the first and/or last part of their shift putting together those to-go extras like butter, sour cream, sauces, etc.

For #2, I typically go 10%. Also do 10% if I get a to go order that I have to go in and pick up from a non-fast food place.

When I worked in restaurants and did take out I did not get paid a full minimum wage rate because I was considered an employee who received tips, so if you can tip on take out you should.

Those people do more than just hand you your bag. They check the order, box up the food, prepare all your extras often make your salads, and spend the first and/or last part of their shift putting together those to-go extras like butter, sour cream, sauces, etc.

What do you recommend?

While I believe you should be compensated as there is obviously more to it than I believed I don't think the 15-20% I usually tip a waitress who has waited on me for 45 minutes is equal to what you described. Honest question here as I really don't know whats fair. A flat 5$?

Car side takeout takes some work. They typically check your order vs the ticket, add the extras, box it up and all that. I usually drop a fiver, but I always tip high unless the service stinks. Been in those shoes and know how much it's appreciated.

What do you recommend?

While I believe you should be compensated as there is obviously more to it than I believed I don't think the 15-20% I usually tip a waitress who has waited on me for 45 minutes is equal to what you described. Honest question here as I really don't know whats fair. A flat 5$?
For Fora meal for 2 or so that is what most we know do.

For Fora meal for 2 or so that is what most we know do.

Cool. I learned something today. I've always been a big tipper as I respect what servers do I guess I just never realized what went into that part of it.

Thanks for the education.

Just curious do you tip every where in the USA or is just for restaurants? We don't have tipping here in NZ and I was to young when I went to LA to understand about it.

If you are able to give the tip you can give it according to your income 5 to 10. In the same way you can give tip to to the car side type service.It depends on you that how much you can pay? I have not fixed any amount for giving tip. It varies time to time.

Japanese chef $10 bucks for my wife and I, to go or curbside usually $5 bucks or so, some of those folks work pretty hard.

Just curious do you tip every where in the USA or is just for restaurants? We don't have tipping here in NZ and I was to young when I went to LA to understand about it.

There is a lot of tipping within the service and hospitality industry. We tip servers at restaurants, we tip hair stylists for a hair cuts and other salon services (including spa services such as a massage). We tip taxi drivers and other car services, bell men at hotels, and generally I tip service techs who come to the house to help set something up. I also usually tip delivery men, and movers. A lot of tipping is up to the individual, but I was always taught to tip if you can, and as a person who worked in restaurants all through high school and college, I know how hard people in hospitality work, so I always make sure and over-tip.

I was also always taught to give your garbage men, mail men, and paper delivery person a tip/bonus/gift at the holidays.

I tip everyone, sometimes over tip but I don't ever want to be "that" guy
Same here, I always figure if I do happpen to "overtip" it will help offset "that guy"

As to howzat original question at the japense steakhouse I usually slide a 10 to the chef on top of regular tip.
Carside usually a fin

I tip anyone that helps me at a Japanese steak house. Take care of the chef and waitress.

I don't do too much drive by pickup but I think I'd tip if I did.

People in the service industry live off their tips. Togo orders are usually handled by the same person bringing you the food, why wouldn't you tip?

I tip anyone that helps me at a Japanese steak house. Take care of the chef and waitress.

I don't do too much drive by pickup but I think I'd tip if I did.

People in the service industry live off their tips. Togo orders are usually handled by the same person bringing you the food, why wouldn't you tip?

To the part in bold above, I don't think people realized how much work actually went into preparing a to-go order. I hope I was able to educate people a little bit into what goes on, and how much work they actually do.

I usually just leave the standard 20% for the Japanese Resturante, but for take out its usually 2 bucks. I realize its worth something to prepare the food to-go , but not nearly as much effor as keeping an eye on my table rfilling drinks being pleasent, etc.

To the part in bold above, I don't think people realized how much work actually went into preparing a to-go order. I hope I was able to educate people a little bit into what goes on, and how much work they actually do.

Definitely did! I've only gotten to go orders at a place like Chili's maybe twice, but I did not tip. So it's good to know!

I'm a blanket 20% on just about anything, really good service I go 25% to 30%.

Back