Should Tiger be a 2014 Ryder Cup Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I want to see a great winning team for the US of A to. But a USA team without Tiger when he's playing regulary isn't right. That's my story and I am sticking with it.
Don't get it twisted, I want to see a healthy playing TW on the team. But I really want to see a hard fought US win. I want to hear the cheers on TV and see the US prevail. I don't see him playing well enough to add to that. I see a team that would be disheartened if he is picked over a guy closer to the top 12. I see him getting picked doing more damage then good. Of course no one will ever speak up but I think it would kill the moral of the team of a wounded swing TW is put on the team.

Tiger has never really been a good doubles match player and although I'm a fan of his, I think he needs to show dramatic improvement very quickly to be considered.

After last Ryder Cup, I remember thinking that I didn't want Stricker, Phil, Tiger or Furyk on any more teams. Phil clapping and cheering Rose as he dismantled him with long putt after long putt was rage inducing. I'd like to get the younger players in there that will show a little more grit and teamwork.

If their priority is to win this year--no. At least not unless he comes back and wins this year. He hasn't earned it at the playing level this year. Nothing against Tiger, it's just the nature of injuries and time away.

If their priority is interest and viewership with a wider audience--then maybe.

Depends on priorities. As an avid golfer I'm in the first camp. I want to win. But many non-avid golfers just want a reason to care and maybe tune in and Tiger offers that.

I don't think he has earned a spot but I find it hard to believe he won't be there. No question he brings more people to watch compared to anyone else they would pick.

If he does make it they better keep him out of alternate shot because whomever he is paired with won't be used to hitting it from all over the planet.

While I agree with what you said about the objective of the PGA, you can't grow the game if you don't have the advertising dollars for the future.

Tiger, whether winning or losing, seems to always bring solid ratings.
Growing the game goes way beyond dollars. What is the message sent to kids if you don't pick a guy or leave a guy off that has earned a spot? If Tom was to pick TW and he has not improved by leaps and bounds, you are putting one man over the entire team. That is a hard sell and I think will bring more negatives then positives to the game.

Thats great to know Freddie but you just have to look at it as a non golfer. Somebody changing the channel on sunday and see's Tiger playing, there going to stop and probably watch him play. They see Harris English playing, they will see just another golfer and change the channel. Unless you watch golf every sunday or watch the Golf Channel you probably won't know much about him.
Non golfers do not contribute to the game. They contribute to the sponsors and we need to grow the golfing base not make the sponsors money. If we get more to come to the game it will be a far great impact then "Joe" watching the match for an hour.

Tiger has never really been a good doubles match player and although I'm a fan of his, I think he needs to show dramatic improvement very quickly to be considered.

After last Ryder Cup, I remember thinking that I didn't want Stricker, Phil, Tiger or Furyk on any more teams. Phil clapping and cheering Rose as he dismantled him with long putt after long putt was rage inducing. I'd like to get the younger players in there that will show a little more grit and teamwork.
WE are talking golf, not tennis:alien2:

Yes I want to see a great winning team for the US of A to. But a USA team without Tiger when he's playing regulary isn't right. That's my story and I am sticking with it.
Thats just it, he is not playing regularly

Fact is the US is probably going to lose this year. The USA players compared to the Europeans are playing another game right now. Harris English isn't going to be the cure for this one I'm afraid. So give me the big guns, if I'm playing captain, and lets try to keep it close come Sunday for a shot. As captain, I don't care about TV ratings and growing the game this weekend, I care about winning. But the deck is already stacked again Mr. Watson no matter who he picks.
I don't think the matchups are that bad. I think its a pretty good matchup based on what I have seen this year. Harris might not be the answer and I wasn't saying he was, just an example. But the way TW is playing now, there is no way they win if he is selected.

And if Tiger Woods is there I guarantee you will get more non golfers to show up. And more people there means more money for the PGA. And more money to the PGA=The Game of Golf improves. Gotta get that dough or your not going to be able to change the game.
Growing the game goes way beyond dollars. What is the message sent to kids if you don't pick a guy or leave a guy off that has earned a spot? If Tom was to pick TW and he has not improved by leaps and bounds, you are putting one man over the entire team. That is a hard sell and I think will bring more negatives then positives to the game.

Non golfers do not contribute to the game. They contribute to the sponsors and we need to grow the golfing base not make the sponsors money. If we get more to come to the game it will be a far great impact then "Joe" watching the match for an hour.

Sorry to bail on this thread would love to have a healthy discussion but work interferes.

No way in hell i would pick Harris English Ryan Moore or Chris Kirk over Tiger Woods.

People think Phil deserves to go and not Tiger? Talk about a terrible putter and a guy searching for his game.

But alas he's a "good guy" and deserves to go.

WE are talking golf, not tennis:alien2:

Ha! Although I think the U.S. would have a good shot if tennis was some how incorporated. Apparently Kuchar is pretty good and I could see Dusty having a nice little serve...

The game of golf has been on the decline with TW playing. How is his playing in the Ryder Cup going to change all that?
And if Tiger Woods is there I guarantee you will get more non golfers to show up. And more people there means more money for the PGA. And more money to the PGA=The Game of Golf improves. Gotta get that dough or your not going to be able to change the game.

We can catch up later. I don't think Phil should be either based on his play this year.
Sorry to bail on this thread would love to have a healthy discussion but work interferes.

No way in hell i would pick Harris English Ryan Moore or Chris Kirk over Tiger Woods.

People think Phil deserves to go and not Tiger? Talk about a terrible putter and a guy searching for his game.

But alas he's a "good guy" and deserves to go.

I just don't agree with that at all. Tiger is such a huge figure for golf, and him being in an event will never be a negative with regards to growing the game.

There will always be players who felt they should have been picked over one of the other picks, that's just the way it goes. And it will be no different this year, there will be players who will be upset with the captains picks even if Tiger is not picked.

It's Tiger Freaking Woods, yes I do believe he should be on there. He has tons of knowledge and is starting to get his game back now. I think he will be helpful to the team and represent USA proudly.
If it's knowledge you want from him make him a co-captain. I want the best possible team out there for the US and right now that include Tiger. Besides that is not as if he has a great Ryder Cup record.

Absolutely not, he has zero game right now and I think it would send a terrible message. He should not be picked based on what he's done but based on what he's doing, he simply isn't ready.

Maybe if he gets skipped it will put that fire in his belly again and he'll get going.

Do you mean the Game itself like golf for you and me and others. Or you mean like the PGA Tour golf and it has decline? And with Tiger there he's going to help mentor others and get them into a position of greatness so they can take down the Europeans.
The game of golf has been on the decline with TW playing. How is his playing in the Ryder Cup going to change all that?

There would be a vastly different feeling if a struggling, 70th in the rankings TW is taken over a guy that has been consistent in 2013-2014 and is 12th of 13th in standings. It will have greater impact on the team then we will ever know. A 15 jumping a 12 is one thing. a 70 jumping a 12 say something entirely different.
I just don't agree with that at all. Tiger is such a huge figure for golf, and him being in an event will never be a negative with regards to growing the game.

There will always be players who felt they should have been picked over one of the other picks, that's just the way it goes. And it will be no different this year, there will be players who will be upset with the captains picks even if Tiger is not picked.

If he can stay healthy, I think it is hard to leave him off. He has a great singles record, but so so rest of it. I feel he can more than likely put together some decent finishes as long as he doesn't get hurt again. He played better 3 months after back surgery than I ever would at Hoylake. He just needs some time to get his feel back in his short game.

I think no, but there's always that chance he could wake up and be a force to be reckoned with.

Again, he was on the last two teams and his presence didn't help the team win or guys rise to the occiassion. Why would a poorly playing Tiger change that in 2014.
Do you mean the Game itself like golf for you and me and others. Or you mean like the PGA Tour golf and it has decline? And with Tiger there he's going to help mentor others and get them into a position of greatness so they can take down the Europeans.

There would be a vastly different feeling if a struggling, 70th in the rankings TW is taken over a guy that has been consistent in 2013-2014 and is 12th of 13th in standings. It will have greater impact on the team then we will ever know. A 15 jumping a 12 is one thing. a 70 jumping a 12 say something entirely different.

I'm not disagreeing with you, however we weren't talking about that at all. We were talking about Tiger's effect on growing the game.

I guess I do not know, but would love to see him back on the team with a American win...
Again, he was on the last two teams and his presence didn't help the team win or guys rise to the occiassion. Why would a poorly playing Tiger change that in 2014.

As I mentioned to Coers, the game has been on the decline and he won 5 times last year and struggled this year. He aint pulling them in like he used to and the game is not growing in the US. A US win does more to grow the game then TW has done as of late.
I'm not disagreeing with you, however we weren't talking about that at all. We were talking about Tiger's effect on growing the game.

As I mentioned to Coers, the game has been on the decline and he won 5 times last year and struggled this year. He aint pulling them in like he used to and the game is not growing in the US. A US win does more to grow the game then TW has done as of late.

I personally don't think winning the Ryder Cup is going to have anymore of an effect on the growth of the game than winning the President's Cup did last year, especially without one of the biggest names in golf being there.

Imagine if the US loses a close match and Tiger isnt on the roster...

There will be far more backlash with the above, rather than them losing with him on the roster, IMO.

Imagine if we lose a close one and tiger goes 0-4.

I personally don't think Tiger or Phil (hurts me to say that) are playing well enough right now. Maybe in the coming weeks they will but I'm glad I don't have to make the pick.

As already said earlier, it's a no win situation for Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back