Matrix TPHDe Shaft Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review here Dan. This has to be the most technology I've ever seen packed into a shaft. The engineers at Matrix have obviously been working hard and trying new ways of improving the graphite shaft.

I've seen this one in person and it's stunning. Mid-flight draw sounds ideal to me and the tumbling roll is something I would like to see after a nice draw.

Enjoyed the write-up, Canadan. A great looking shaft, packed with tech? Sounds good to me.

Nice write up Dan, it was good to see you use this in Tennessee as like always you were hitting bombs. And what kind $$ are these going for, I was thinking these were pretty pricey.

Nice review Dan. That is quite the shaft. There's a lot of big words in there haha. Some serious technology going on. Makes you wonder what could come next.

Very nice writeup Dan. Seems like this one had you busy at first until you found what kind of move to put on it to make it work.

All kinds of tech and things I don't understand going on in that shaft, but it looks great and sounds like it performs pretty solid too.

Man, what a fantastic review of what sounds like an amazing shaft. I know this shaft isn't in reach for a lot of people, but to know this technology is out there is very exciting about where shafts are going. Great review, Dan.

Huh what does all those big words mean. What driver head did you use for your testing Daniel?

Now that made my head hurt in a good way. Well done Dan

Great work Dan, these graphics are awesome.

Also what flex gram did you test thanks

Also what flex gram did you test thanks

The 6 series was tested (skimmy? :alien:) In stiff flex. It was tested using the callaway big Bertha alpha driver.

I've got some on course thoughts and discussion in the preview thread as well.

Last edited:
Had the privilege of hitting the 6 and 7 both in stiff and the shafts are incredible. Only stiff flex I have hit that was untipped and actually felt very stable through the swing. I can't justify the price tag on them, but pulls go for what Tour AD new shafts go for so they are worth a look.

The 6 series was tested (skimmy? :alien:) In stiff flex. It was tested using the callaway big Bertha alpha driver.

I've got some on course thoughts and discussion in the preview thread as well.

Didn't see the flex or head in the review sorry I'll check out the other thread. I can't imagine there's enough difference in any shaft to justify the cost from any other after market you could currently buy. Even if it is the best shaft ever i still don't know if it's worth the money the gains would have to be astronomical I guess if I had money to burn I'd consider it but I just can't imagine I'd see that many gains. Do you think the shaft would improve my game enough to justify the price or a more average golfer? I like my handmade project x I have in my shaft but I honestly think it would help a slower swing speed so much more than me. Do you think this shaft is for more of a pro player or an average joe? Thanks Dan and again great review I enjoyed using my dictionary with all the big words matrix is using.

Great review Dan
Very cool shafts the price is a bit of a turn off but i would still love to try them

Didn't see the flex or head in the review sorry I'll check out the other thread. I can't imagine there's enough difference in any shaft to justify the cost from any other after market you could currently buy. Even if it is the best shaft ever i still don't know if it's worth the money the gains would have to be astronomical I guess if I had money to burn I'd consider it but I just can't imagine I'd see that many gains. Do you think the shaft would improve my game enough to justify the price or a more average golfer? I like my handmade project x I have in my shaft but I honestly think it would help a slower swing speed so much more than me. Do you think this shaft is for more of a pro player or an average joe? Thanks Dan and again great review I enjoyed using my dictionary with all the big words matrix is using.

Honest question. Do you think there is enough difference to justify the cost of the PX Handmade you use vs dozens of the $50 shafts on the market?

Love that Matrix does have option to customize paint on their shafts for an upcharge beyond putting a name on it. My all black Matrix Program 130's are sleek. Tested this shaft with the Matrix guys when they were here for the Colonial week. It's a phenomenal golf shaft.

Great review and interesting read. So much technology packed into that shaft.

I can't make that price justification for you, however I went to another shaft this morning to prepare for the Morgan cup and the difference was night and day when it came to the shaft reacting to swing quality. Where other shafts shudder and fall out of the swing, I find the TPHDe performs admirably in those areas.

It's just an incredibly smooth, incredibly solid shaft.

Honest question. Do you think there is enough difference to justify the cost of the PX Handmade you use vs dozens of the $50 shafts on the market?

I've always felt like with my swing I've had much better results with an after market shaft now spending $200 on a handmade isn't a huge difference compared to many other aftermarket options. The price of this is a huge gap.

I've always felt like with my swing I've had much better results with an after market shaft now spending $200 on a handmade isn't a huge difference compared to many other aftermarket options. The price of this is a huge gap.

I was using the idea that it was 5 times as much. I agree with you. I dont think someone should spend it unless they are sure about it, feel comfortable with the cost, etc. At the same time, I view it much like a lot of things in life. Does a Lexus work better for the driver going to work than the Camry does? Who am I to say.

I was using the idea that it was 5 times as much. I agree with you. I dont think someone should spend it unless they are sure about it, feel comfortable with the cost, etc. At the same time, I view it much like a lot of things in life. Does a Lexus work better for the driver going to work than the Camry does? Who am I to say.

I was just curious more how the gains were compared to the cost. I see a better increase with numbers when I upgrade to whatever shaft I use for me to spend that cash I'd have to see tremendous gains. I understand what you're saying about the Lexus but my shaft would be the Lexus the matrix more like a Lamborghini. That being said I know people will use it and the most exciting part for me currently about it is if there are gains in anyway the technology and what they did can be used and they can find a way to make it work cheaper and sooner or later it'll be in my Lexus price range. It is impressive and I'd absolutely love to hit it sometime.

That was a lot of information. Thanks Dan.

i installed tp7hde in x into a big bertha 9* head. yes this is very expensive, and had it not been a half price deal i would have never even thought of it. this shaft is truly packed with technology and i have to say i have never felt a shaft quite like it. i am a bit of a gear ho and i tinker with shafts a lot, especially driver. its really hard to put into words but i will try. i will compare to what i feel and see with some of the others i have hit with the same head.

first of all the way this shaft loads and unloads is incredible. so smooth and stable. with 9* of loft on BB i was seeing a mid flight and what i have to assume is mid spin. (no launch monitor data, just course action today for the first time) tp7hde comes in at 78 grams for x flex. compared to diamana ahina 70x its definitely higher launching. so hard to put into words but the tphde shaft just wants to unload right at impact. you can feel the energy being stored and wanting to release. not once did i want to overswing it due to it being too stiff or feel that the shaft was too stout or harsh. cpm of this raw shaft was 266. perhaps it just fits my swing well. but once you swing it, it is hard to argue with the quality. i am not doing it justice, but it is definitely the best shaft i have ever tried. i missed two fairways today due to just ridiculous swings. every other time, the club responded perfectly to what i intended in the swing. i was able to hit both draws and cuts at will today (not my typical driver game) and the shaft responded perfectly to the input. all i can say is if you have the opportunity to try (and can justify the investment) i would highly recommend it!

Back