You vs. Younger You

I am on the downslope after going over the hill. I do believe that I was at my best about 10 years ago at 60 when I could still get reasonable distance but had crafted a pretty good short game.

My short game can still get me a decent score now and then but I don't hit enough greens any more to get many birdies.

The other day during a round with my regular weekend group we got to talking about how we might fare against ourselves when we were younger. Most of us are well past middle-aged, with the youngest being 46 and the oldest 64. Having played golf for all of our lives, in was interesting to hear the various opinions on whether the experience they've gained over the years might overcome a younger, stronger, more flexible version of themselves. The biggest variable is equipment. I'm pretty sure that with today's equipment I could easily beat me as the 18-year-old I was in 1977. Interesting discussion, anyway.

Today me would kick younger me's butt... The big difference is the space between my ears... Younger me always went for it and got into trouble on almost every other hole... Today me keeps it in the fairway.

Started playing when i was 26, i am 39 now, me at 39 could kick me at 26-29 ass.

Me at 30-35 would win, because i played 50-60 rounds a year, and practiced 1-2 times a week.

Last 3 years have been up and down, and either of them could win on any given day.

I'm almost 32 now so, going by 5 year increments:

12 - I'd win. Way too long for that scrawny punk.
17 - This would be close, but I'd pull it out when he did something ill advised.
22 - This dude whoops me. As long as I am now and much more consistent.
27 - Kills me again.

18 year old me was usually pretty consistent and would always be in the low to mid 80's. 30 year old me might shoot 77 or 94 on any given day. Match play I would take current me, stroke play I would probably give the edge to 18 year old me.

If I played as much golf now as I did when I was 18 I would be pretty confident in current day me.

Younger me would drive it better, straighter and farther. However older me would frustrate younger me with the short game and putting.

Younger me was very long and often wrong! Older me would slap that punk silly.

I would kick younger me's ass.

Younger me was fatter, slower and couldn't control the tee ball. I'd kick my own younger ass on the course right now.

The younger-me could hit the ball well past the current-me, but scoring wise, current-me would run the younger-me out of town.

It would be super close for me right now. I am 27 now and at 18 I had just finished high school golf where I averaged 78 for 18 holes. My last 4 rounds out are either 78 or 79. However, I am playing different tees now most of the time. I can hit it farther now but don't have my accuracy with my irons like I used to. Short game and putting these days is a lot better but I am usually trying to save par. I scored much better when I was 18 but could also get on a bogey train for 6 straight holes which I don't anymore.

So...flip a coin I guess.

I was a terrible golfer when I was younger. I hit this huge banana slice off the tee, and was so bad with irons that I bought a set of woods all the way down to a 54° 15 wood. While still plenty of room for improvement, my game is the best it has ever been and I would crush the younger me for sure.

I would whoop the younger me, but I'm 36. If I was 60+ it might be different. Not sure

For me it would be the story of the two bulls! With age comes wisdom and experience.

I would easily beat the younger me...much smarter approach to the game now

I'm 35 and younger me would destroy me now. Even with period equipment.

I'd smoke younger me been playing for 18 years now and I've never played so well I am curious if me 18 years from now would still smoke current me or not. I'm sure I'll be playing a much different game by that age.

I would kick my younger ass.

30 me would beat 18 me. Play a much smarter game now instead of an aim high and let it fly style.

Playing against myself from a year ago or any time in my life before that I would win by 8-12 shots.

I started when woods were made of wood. There is no substitute for today's technology. I hit the ball further now at 55 y/o than 24. I hit the ball much further at 40 than at any point in my life, and that was with a 300 cc head on my driver. I'm still a weak putter though. SOME things never change.:alien2:

My 25 year old former self would beat my 66 year old self pretty soundly. Even with the old equipment. Youth and flexibility would prevail. I might give my "today" self a chance from the senior tees, but in the end would still probably lose.

Current me would have beaten younger me every time from 1965 until retirement in 2005. Current me would take it on the chin 8 of 10 times playing the me from 2005 to 2011. The current me is too erratic.

Back