Best/Worst Marketing Of The Year So Far

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So we are past the half way point and lots of products have hit the market and been tried, purchased and/or looked at. The marketing that goes into these clubs is a driving force to create buzz. So my question to you is which product had the best marketing and which had the worst in your opinion?

Try and take brand loyalty (love or hate) out of the equation and look strictly at the products. Remember this is not about the brand, but a single product. So in your opinion, who had the best and the worst so far of 2014?

Best - Srixon Journey to Better
Worst - Jetspeed by a landslide.

Jetspeed was nothing short of terrible and really left TM looking vulnerable for the first time in a long time.

Best is a hard call, but I think the made in the USA spots were a big thing for Bridgestone. They needed to look outside the fitting box and found a very attractive tidbit about the B330 line.

Best: Bertha
Worst: JetSpeed

Best would be #BerthasBack

My initial kneejerk was the TM Speed police JetSpeed stuff.

Callaway bringing back the Big Bertha name was a homerun, I think. Ping's commercials have been atrocious.

For casual people:

Best- Probably Bridgestone. Their commercials have been great.
Worst- Nike. Their newest irons are the top rated iron on Golf.com reviews and I have seen almost zero about them on television. From a marketing standpoint, it's even hard to tell their irons apart from one another.

Best: Hands down Cleveland/Srixon Journey to Better!!!!

Worst: I have to agree with the others with the TM JetSpeed.

Absolutely best is #JourneytoBetter

Worst was Taylormade selling their mini driver as a 3W replacement. In regards to hitting it off the deck.

Best is a hard call, but I think the made in the USA spots were a big thing for Bridgestone. They needed to look outside the fitting box and found a very attractive tidbit about the B330 line.

As far as best goes this right here ^^^^^ never really looked at Bridgestone balls until i saw there made in the USA ad

Jetspeed for the fail

Best: Callaway and PING. Bertha was great and honestly I thought PING killed it with the Hunter/Bubba/Westy, goofy as hell but funny.

Worst: Jetspeed. Seriously, I'm still wondering what the crap happened.

I am focusing on the marketing of the product, not the product itself. In which case, Worst is super easy.

Worst: Titeist / ProV1. The ads which show the count for the number of balls used in a tourney and the ads which try to say swing speed doesn't matter are just terrible because it flies in the face of common sense and, I suspect, hard science. I imagine sometimes this is what it was like in ancient times dealing with people who believed the world was flat. (hypothetical flat world Titleist commercial: "Guess how many mariners have stopped sailing before they reached the end of the world? 10? No, more. 15? No, more. 25? No, more. The answer: everyone!")

Best: Callaway BB/BBA. Some of this is that they had a revolutionary product in the BBA to market, but they had a comprehensive multi-media approach to provide information and generate buzz, including tying the product to a major star's performance at a major tournament. I'm not sure what else they could have done. Kudos.

Best: Bridgestone - best golf ball commercials made
Worst: TaylorMade JetSpeed - the puppets were creepy (although when I first saw the commercial I was not as creeped out as I was later).

Best Model Campaign: Bertha Series (Bertha Long, Sir Isaac, Can't Argue Physics)
Worst Model Campaign: Jetspeed (Speed Police was just creepy) I felt that that model wasn't pushed enough and that it conflicted with the loft up campaign.
Best Catch Phrase: REDONCULONG

The ones that stand out to me:

Positive impression: Callaway Big Bertha and Speed Regime ads and Bridgestone made in USA ads.

Poor impression: Taylormade Speed Police, the puppets were just dumb.

Really any other ads haven't really stood out, that doesn't mean they were bad, they just didn't make an impression on me either good or bad so I don't really remember them like I do the ones above.

Journey To Better - Cleveland/Srixon (no contest to me)
Worst- Jetspeed - TM

Best- Bridgestone USA and Callaway with the Big Bertha

Worst- Jetspeed by far IMO. Not really even close

Best: Nike's play in the now
Worst: Jetspeed

Best: Big Bertha (As kids we all marveled at our dads)
Worst: Anything Taylormade. I think they missed it all the way around this year.

Best: Bridgestone commercials. The one with all their tour pros working in the factory. Love Trevino on the forklift. The Ferhety commercials are good too.

Worst: TaylorMade. Speed Police. Not just the puppet one but the others too. Did not speak to me in any way.

Best is Bridgestone

Worst is Jetspeed,

Best: I liked the stuff Wilson did around the 100th anniversary. #journeytobetter was very cool as well. The Tank at the PGA show really good as well.
Worst: I actually kind of liked the speed police stuff but the Loft Up campaign was the worst IMO. Telling customer who just bought a driver a few months prior that they don't have the right loft was just awful.

I think Bridgestone did a great job, but I wish they put a little more emphasis on their clubs, and didn't focus so much on balls. Their equipment is very good, but outside of hardcore golfers, I think that many don't even consider them for drivers/irons etc. Titleist also focuses heavily on balls, but their name is so big I think they can get away with it a little bit more.

Callaway did a very good job marketing the Big Bertha/X2 hot.

Im surprised to hear (so far on this thread) people didn't think TM did a job good marketing. I felt like the SLDR driver was everywhere! and it had every guy on the street, regardless of ability, thinking he should go buy it. I agree the jetspeed line was pretty much an all around fail however.

Best: Callaway and PING. Bertha was great and honestly I thought PING killed it with the Hunter/Bubba/Westy, goofy as hell but funny.

Worst: Jetspeed. Seriously, I'm still wondering what the crap happened.

I'm with you here on all counts.

I'll add Cobra as one of the worst, although the clubs are amazing. I wish they would have done a bit more advertising outside of the few driver commercials they had.

The Jetspeed is an interesting club. I played a round a few weeks back with a friend of mine and his instructor who's also a fitter and he was playing the Jetspeed. I asked him about it and he said that of all the TaylorMade drivers, he was finding most people he fit to have a better numbers and results with the Jetspeed.

Also one of the best, although not an OEM, but golf related was Farmer's Insurance with Dick Fowler P.I. I still laugh when I watch those.

Back