2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about diet Joe? Should I force myself to add calories? I still have some bodyfat (primarily midsection) I want to lose, but not a ton. If I don't add calories do you think I'm wasting my time with the resistance?

What do you think about diet Joe? Should I force myself to add calories? I still have some bodyfat (primarily midsection) I want to lose, but not a ton. If I don't add calories do you think I'm wasting my time with the resistance?

When I started lifting more, I added a small amount of calories (I think I'm at ~2300 or so), but the biggest change is the distribution - lower carbs, higher protein and fat. That was a suggestion as part of a nutrition program I did.

That's a tough one. Stronglifts makes me hungry. on the off days I tend to over eat. It's because I am not eating as right as I should be on the on days. You're going to need to add to what you're eating eventually with this program. But add lean protein. And don't start now. I would say in week 4-6 you will start to notice some hunger. WCBM said it really well. Add two eggs to your daily food intake to start. Lean protein is good. Just don't do what I do sometimes and eat an entire pizza in one sitting because you're starving. Drink lots of water. If you're hungry eat, but eat smartly.

Notice that I said eat, not drink. Don't rely on protein shakes.

Fair enough. I think a couple boiled eggs would be easy, especially mid-afternoon since I pretty much eliminated that snack. I won't be eating a whole pizza for sure. Sounds fantastic though!

If you're craving something, beef jerky is good. A nice option. Don't be afraid of carbs either.

Again, if you're hungry, eat. It's your body's way of telling you something.

Do love some (non-spicy) jerkie.

Hawk make sure you do mobility work also or yu will get tight and not recover as well.

This right here ^^^^^^ we do a lot stretching before the workout, but Thursday is mobility day, we use lacrosse balls and barbells to roll on the muscle's, hurts like hell but when your done it feels really great. after the mobility work we do a small workout to get the blood flowing, today we did 3 rds of 200m overhead barbell carry 50 jumping jacks and 20 roman candles, it usually involves short distance running or carrying.

If you're craving something, beef jerky is good. A nice option. Don't be afraid of carbs either.

Again, if you're hungry, eat. It's your body's way of telling you something.

I do love Slim Jims

macho-man-slim-jim.jpg

This right here ^^^^^^ we do a lot stretching before the workout, but Thursday is mobility day, we use lacrosse balls and barbells to roll on the muscle's, hurts like hell but when your done it feels really great. after the mobility work we do a small workout to get the blood flowing, today we did 3 rds of 200m overhead barbell carry 50 jumping jacks and 20 roman candles, it usually involves short distance running or carrying.

are you doing the stronglifts program as well?

Stood on the scales last night and I have lost just under 1kg since last week so things are starting to get back on track with the weight loss again

Also had my blood pressure checked this morning as part of my annual checkup following the TIA I had a number of years ago and am pleased to say it was lower than it has been for quite some time as well so I was pleased to see that as well

So following my little dip in enthusiasm last week I am feeling a bit better about things again - just need to keep it going now

Hard wod today.

10:00 cap
Row 500m
25 burpees
20 thrusters
15 burpees
10 thrusters
10 burpees
5 thrusters

I went too heavy on the thrusters and was sore from Tuesday so I only made it 5 reps into the 15 burpees. I was still gassed and a sweaty mess at the end. Also threw in a few sets of push presses after for s&g.

Stood on the scales last night and I have lost just under 1kg since last week so things are starting to get back on track with the weight loss again

Also had my blood pressure checked this morning as part of my annual checkup following the TIA I had a number of years ago and am pleased to say it was lower than it has been for quite some time as well so I was pleased to see that as well

So following my little dip in enthusiasm last week I am feeling a bit better about things again - just need to keep it going now
Awesome job. Keep up the good work.

Looking and feeling better certainly has its upside, but bottom line is that I have a few people that need me around for years to come. I didn't just do all this for the short term benefit (Morgan Cup), but rather feel like I made a sustainable lifestyle change that should be fairly easy to carry on with for years to come. My diagnostic reports came back and some of the changes are pretty wild. October 2013 is on the far right. At the time I started all this I was about 5lbs heavier.

Desirable Level
BMI (kg/m[SUP]2[/SUP])
18.5-24.9
Height (in)
n/a
Weight (lbs)
n/a
Blood Sugar (mg/dL)
60-99
Blood Pressure (mmHg)
<120 and <80
118 / 80
116 / 84
Total Cholesterol (mg/dL)
<200
HDL (mg/dL)
≥40
LDL (mg/dL)
<100
Ratio (TC/HDL)
<3.6
Triglycerides (mg/dL)
<150

BMI down by 25%
Weight loss of around 55lbs
No longer 'pre-diabetic'
56 points off my cholesterol
73 points off my triglycerides

It's so easy to get stuck in a rut of making bad choices and things just creep up on you. Never felt unhealthy last year, and the way I carry weight sort of masks the true huskiness that was going on. I guess I knew I could lose some weight, but a lot of those 2013 numbers were a little shocking for a guy that 1) was 33 at the time and 2) has grandpa die at 58 of heart disease and a dad that has dealt with heart issues for 15 years now. Not to mention the diabetes thing. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I get a lot of 'what did you do' questions, but the answer is very unsexy. Just making better choices all around. I understand that I was lucky to be able to lose quickly what I'd gained over time, but a lot of sacrifice and sweat went into that.

Bottom line is though - the one thing that got me truly motivated was the Morgan Cup. Now it's taken on a little more importance in other parts of my life, but I'll always look at the event (and THP) as the catalyst for this, so thumbs up to two of my best friends in the world JB and Morgan for that. Little things sometimes have bigger consequences than you all realize.

Nice work Ryan!

I just had my first physical (yeah, I know I should be doing these yearly) since I turned 50. All my blood levels are very similar to your recent bloodwork results. BP is nice & low. Overall, everything appears like I'm in good shape - except my waist size...44 inches - I couldn't believe it! Funny (actually kinda sad) how I can delude myself into thinking things aren't too bad. While I was waiting for the doctor, I looked at the BMI chart in the office - mine is currently at 30.7. To get down to the normal range (24.9), I should be at 165 lb! I'll be ecstatic if I can reach 180! I'm not sure BMI is a good indicator for me; the year after I graduated high school, I was bicycling alot (doing century rides regularly), playing soccer, & doing martial arts, and gained 20 lb of muscle (mostly in my legs) & was at 165 lb - and there wasn't much fat to trim at that point (but I would've been borderline fat according to BMI then).

Nice work Ryan!

I just had my first physical (yeah, I know I should be doing these yearly) since I turned 50. All my blood levels are very similar to your recent bloodwork results. BP is nice & low. Overall, everything appears like I'm in good shape - except my waist size...44 inches - I couldn't believe it! Funny (actually kinda sad) how I can delude myself into thinking things aren't too bad. While I was waiting for the doctor, I looked at the BMI chart in the office - mine is currently at 30.7. To get down to the normal range (24.9), I should be at 165 lb! I'll be ecstatic if I can reach 180! I'm not sure BMI is a good indicator for me; the year after I graduated high school, I was bicycling alot (doing century rides regularly), playing soccer, & doing martial arts, and gained 20 lb of muscle (mostly in my legs) & was at 165 lb - and there wasn't much fat to trim at that point (but I would've been borderline fat according to BMI then).

Thank you!

I've read quite a bit about BMI this year and it's sort of a junk statistic on the individual level. More for evaluationg populations. I had to get down to something like 180 just to not be 'overweight' and I was in a decent spot there. I think I'd need to be around 165 as well.

Thank you!

I've read quite a bit about BMI this year and it's sort of a junk statistic on the individual level. More for evaluationg populations. I had to get down to something like 180 just to not be 'overweight' and I was in a decent spot there. I think I'd need to be around 165 as well.

From what I recall, BMI is not a good indicator of health for muscular, athletic builds (not that I'm muscular anymore, but I was never thin even at my peak shape). And everyone is different. I rcall seeing a NOVA special on fat where this guy was doing marathons & triathlons & looked like a walrus, but his cardiovascular system was in great shape.

Hawk, that is a good change you have managed with your work

I agree with Grins, BMI is not the best of indicators really as it is literally a calculation based on height and weight, so if you look at a lot of athletes a lot of them would be considered overweight, if not obese due to the condition they are in

I know I am not in good shape at the moment but I am a lot better than 12 months ago as well so hoping to continue with the progress - it is a long term plan not a sprint so I will keep working

I know I am not in good shape at the moment but I am a lot better than 12 months ago as well so hoping to continue with the progress - it is a long term plan not a sprint so I will keep working

What he said.

I can't afford to get discouraged if I have a bad day. It's a temporary setback, not the end of a lifestyle - just gotta keep focused on improving.

I have zero diet discipline.

Workouts are going well, though. I'm starting to struggle to get all 5 sets in on bench with the StrongLifts app. This next week should be fun.

Well it's time to make some changes. I went to the doctor today and he told me some things I really didn't want to hear, Cholesterol is high, Cardiac calcium score came back at 124 which means I have heart disease, 20 lbs over weight, diet sucks, lungs are shot, and if I don't make a change I'll be gone in a few years.

The toughest thing is going to be the diet, I love my crap food but not every day, it comes in waves. but when I want it I have to have salt first then sweet. I have a couple snacks laying around I can't find in my heart to throw away and the doc said to finish them up so I will. Golds just opened up the street from me so I'm there tomorrow to begin the journey.

I will make it a point to come here and share some struggles and successes along the way just as you folks have. I've always wanted to go out on m terms but not at this fast a pace lol, time to reverse the clock a little.

I have zero diet discipline.

Workouts are going well, though. I'm starting to struggle to get all 5 sets in on bench with the StrongLifts app. This next week should be fun.

Don't cheat your form to complete the sets. Keep in mind that there's no shame in failing a set. Be safe. Don't push things too far. If your rep speed starts slowing down to the point of struggle, rack the bar. Live to lift another day.

Well it's time to make some changes. I went to the doctor today and he told me some things I really didn't want to hear, Cholesterol is high, Cardiac calcium score came back at 124 which means I have heart disease, 20 lbs over weight, diet sucks, lungs are shot, and if I don't make a change I'll be gone in a few years.

The toughest thing is going to be the diet, I love my crap food but not every day, it comes in waves. but when I want it I have to have salt first then sweet. I have a couple snacks laying around I can't find in my heart to throw away and the doc said to finish them up so I will. Golds just opened up the street from me so I'm there tomorrow to begin the journey.

I will make it a point to come here and share some struggles and successes along the way just as you folks have. I've always wanted to go out on m terms but not at this fast a pace lol, time to reverse the clock a little.

You've got a support family here brother. Make the changes. It's amazing how much better life will be.

Thanks for posting. I'm almost in same boat as you. High Cholesterol and 40 or more pounds overweight. If you would like a partner I would love to do this with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't posted in here in a while but with recent events in my life I have decided that I need to start watching what I am eating and exercise regularly.

So I got this from the Play Store and I have been enjoying it a lot so far.

usu8amu9.jpg

It is so easy and even has notifications to motivate you. Just thought I would share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back