The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an OK session today, I had my son with me so it wasn't a fully focused session. I started out hitting pretty decent, just focusing on going slow and flexing my rear thigh. I'm still not getting my weight shift going on all the swings though. I tried a few 5i shots where I really went after it, some I crushed and a few I hooked badly. Everything was off of mats, and the rubber tee at my station was far too high for me to hit driver, which I found out the hard way. Getting an idiot mark on the new Bertha ticked me off, and my last 5 iron shots were crap as a result of me being angry.

My son did OK, he hit some nice straight irons. He's never hit driver before, I'm almost tempted to take it out of his bag after watching him attempt to use it today :)

putted very well in league on tuesday night so i hit the practice green tonight for about 45 minutes, was a very good night, have the feel of the putter. i figured i practice when i don't play well so to keep it going i am going to start practicing more when i am playing well

Went to the driving range yesterday to test out my new rangefinder. Not striking the ball well at all. Flip a coin to see if the shot was hit way fat or thin.

Just went down to the basement to hit some foam balls. If I simply raise my hands up on the backswing and let my rotation take the club around, then lower my hands on the downswing and let my rotation take the club back, I was hitting the balls off the wall right back into my hand. Excited to try it at the range.

Last edited:
Had a fantastic night at the range last night. Discovered a major key to more consistency. I've not been turning enough in the backswing and left arm is crashing. Major improvement in ball striking when I fix that flaw.

Went and spent a couple hours at the range today. Finally was able to bring myself to hit balls again. My motivation now??????? Time to get on team #BasementDwellers for the Grandaddy.

I spent a little time at the chipping green working with the 50* and 55* from different distances and lies. It went pretty nicely, even sank a few.

Lesson today and we worked on chipping and full swing. Greenside chips from 10 ft to 30 ft went well. I used a 9i for 30 ft which was more of a bump and run. Moved over to the range and hit full swing 8i. That went really well and I showed my instructor I've been working on a high fade and low draw on the range. 3W next and he asked me to work the ball just like the 8i. The low draw is my usual shot shape with that club but high fade attempt just went dead straight. That was okay. Then we hit driver and it was a mess. Nothing but hooks the first 5 swings. He put me on video and boy that was demoralizing. Hands too low at setup, losing my spine angle on the backswing, club face a tad open and right arm almost covering the left at impact shutting the face. Yet I hit my 8i and 3W really well?!?! My head was a complete mess after all that. I got a few drills to work on. It's amazing how I came into the lesson on a high and left feeling like I can't hit driver to save my life. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Wasn't today, was actually on Friday, but I spent a lot of time on the short game as after my MC journey it became fun to practice different shots there.

But, I did go to the range for one thing, I want to find my go-to 100 yard shot, one that i can absolutely lean on. My inspiration comes from my boy War Eagle and that damn 54 of his, back of the stance, through low, and it just comes out on a rope with a ton of spin. Worked that shot a LOT Friday with my SW. Going to keep working on it. Have to remember there are tons of ways to play this game.

I spent some time this morning working with the irons and the driver. Swing felt really good and it feels like the swing changes I made a month ago are really starting to click. They did not hold up to the pressure of last weekend however, so I am interested to see how it goes the next time out.

I spent some time this morning working with the irons and the driver. Swing felt really good and it feels like the swing changes I made a month ago are really starting to click. They did not hold up to the pressure of last weekend however, so I am interested to see how it goes the next time out.

I just wish we had gotten more than 3 holes together.

Sad.

I just wish we had gotten more than 3 holes together.

Sad.

It would have been nice. Not only for the company but also to spend a little more time with the new sticks. I just didn't feel like playing at all after we got that news however.

Practiced yesterday with the boy and played my easy old home course today from 6300 yards. Morgan Cup hangover isn't as bad this year. I miss the time with the people, but still have something in my heart for golf.

Was happy with my play. I officially suck under pressure. Probably could have figured that out at Grand Cypress a couple years back as I dumped two into the water on 18 when it counted lol. Golf without pressure is fun and I think I'll just stick that for the time being.

Practiced yesterday with the boy and played my easy old home course today from 6300 yards. Morgan Cup hangover isn't as bad this year. I miss the time with the people, but still have something in my heart for golf.

Was happy with my play. I officially suck under pressure. Probably could have figured that out at Grand Cypress a couple years back as I dumped two into the water on 18 when it counted lol. Golf without pressure is fun and I think I'll just stick that for the time being.

Amen my friend.

I am really good with no pressure. Throw a camera on me or a shot that means something right now and I am screwed.

Agreed, I went out Tuesday and Friday and just hit golf balls without a care. It was nice after the months of buildup. Good, bad, indifferent, it didn't matter as it was just golf, it was nice.

Spent the last couple days reading and practicing my takeaway and backswing. At the range yesterday, I was actually able to have somewhat consistent divots and made three straight lines with them. Balls are flying closer to the target line as well.

Next step for me is working on the transition and downswing into impact.

Hit a new range today that I won a gift certificate to, it had automatic tees but only mats to hit from. My last few sessions at the range have been so-so, and I wanted to just get back to working on my setup and stance which got re-worked at my last lesson. I took my time getting set up, remembering to close my shoulders and feel where my weight was going. When it was first showed to me how open I was, it felt SO WEIRD and I thought I was getting used to it, but in reality I wasn't setting my shoulders enough. I really made an effort to drop my rear shoulder back, and I was making excellent contact with almost all of my irons. I knew I was still hitting fat with my longer irons from how I could feel the clubhead hitting the mat, but most of everything else felt really good. One of my biggest things is to remember not to try and kill the ball - when I feel like my downswing is the same speed as my backswing, I make excellent contact. I crushed (for me) a few drivers, but I also lost a few right when I overswung.

That's awesome Russ whenever I get hung up on trying to kill it all kinds of things go wrong too.

I'm finally feeling the urge to get back to the practice routine, today it just said ok it's time. Tomorrow I'm inn meetings all day so it will either be tomorrow night or Wednesday, either way I like the feeling I have right now.

Had a great range session tonight for the first time in weeks(!) after reading a few updates this afternoon. Appreciate the inspiration so give yourselves a pat on the back!!

Really focused on slowing my downswing and keeping my spine angle correct. Made some great contacts with my irons. Very satisfying after a few weeks of wildly inconsistent striking. Hopefully a turn for the better!

That's awesome Russ whenever I get hung up on trying to kill it all kinds of things go wrong too.

Thanks WCHM. What really helped was reading some updates in the Di11 thread, where a number of posters talked about swinging in good tempo to load the stock shafts. When I did that, it felt really good and I had some nice shots. Trying to kill the ball is one of the biggest flaws that I have, and have had since I started playing. A friend of mine who's a low single digit cap always tells me to calm my transition down and not try to kill it. Hoping I remember that during my next round.

Getting these ol' trusties dialed in. Solid ball striking with these, be interestig to see how these progress. Hitting this driver longer then my go to driver. Wedge back is coming alo g nicely. Putting is always solid. Hopefully I can get time to head out and play.

Worked today on my right elbow at the top of the swing and its correlation with me getting steep. Good stuff.

Though its evident I need to start a stretching routine ASAP.

OOH! Forgot to add, did work on the short game with the SW exclusively today, took that to the course a solid 80% of the time over the 58*. playing the smarter shot, big deal for me.

So it appears I won't be able to quit golf post MC like originally planned as I'll be playing In my brothers we'd might golf leagues.

So back to the range tomorrow. Kinda miss this sweet a$$ new irons anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back