Tiger Woods Injury - What Does The Future Hold?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice, Josh. It was clear his rotation wasn't where it needs to be before the injury this weekend. And he most likely, even if healthy, won't be a Ryder Cup selection.

So with him and Rory's grand slam hopes, the 2015 Masters should be fun, giving him the winter to rest.

I think we see him shut it down after trying to go at it next week, I really do. From there though he will realize the Ryder Cup isn't feasible or the best thing and then start looking to 2015.

As to the swing, something has to change, or someone, but we shall see there. What is most telling to me is he appears vulnerable and no one is intimidated by him out there anymore and I think he knows it.

Although I'm not a Tiger fan, I do admire his tenacity and grit. I hate to see anyone plummet in their chosen professional sport as far as he has. Whether its injury related, impatience to return to form that brought him back too early, coaching, equipment, or a combination, I do hope he finds his game again. He's got a lot of catching up to do, and he may never again catch up to the competition.

Who would have thought this was to be his year of 2014 after getting 5 W's in 2013? Injuries don't stop for anyone. I hope he is smart with all of his decisions and he becomes competitive again. Frankly, golf is better with Tiger in action.

Who would have thought this was to be his year of 2014 after getting 5 W's in 2013? Injuries don't stop for anyone. I hope he is smart with all of his decisions and he becomes competitive again. Frankly, golf is better with Tiger in action.

I smell a very selective 2015 schedule built around the majors and sponsor commitments

Nicely done Josh.
I'm hopeful that he will shut it down for the year. The end of an era is coming for sure, but I'd hate to see it due solely on injury. For everything he's meant for golf is love to see him now out gracefully.

I smell a very selective 2015 schedule built around the majors and sponsor commitments

You and I both. We know he doesn't really need things for the money aside from sponsor obligations (ie FedEx Cup) but he wants the legacy wins in the majors. What's left to wonder is if another surgery is needed after this tweak (not likely) or just rest.

Say what you want about Tiger but the man is tough as nails. Won the US Open on one leg and has fought injuries throughout his career. He is more importantly a good dad and I'd presume this is the biggest reason his game isn't as good as it has been and I'm def ok with this. Dad > golf.

Yes injuries have taken its toll on him and I hope he gets healthy because golf is def more fun and better with Tiger winning and competing.

I think we see him shut it down after trying to go at it next week, I really do. From there though he will realize the Ryder Cup isn't feasible or the best thing and then start looking to 2015.

As to the swing, something has to change, or someone, but we shall see there. What is most telling to me is he appears vulnerable and no one is intimidated by him out there anymore and I think he knows it.

You pretty much summed up what I was thinking.

Be the ball!!

It is interesting seeing the parallels between Tiger and Tony Romo this year after both having the same surgery. Romo had his three months before Tiger and is still taking precautions in training camp and in his training. The main thing he initially had to avoid after surgery was any twisting or turning, and did not attempt to throw a pass four four months. He said after being held out of a practice last week one of the biggest issues after surgery was building back the muscular endurance. So recovering after a workout or practice session is harder, and it will take a while to build that back up. I would guess the same for Tiger, and after three rounds of golf the muscles were fatigued and spasmed. Hopefully that is the case and Tiger can recover and alter his training, practice, and tournament schedule to recover that endurance.

I think the best hope is that it is simply muscle spasms resulting from the awkward stance and swing and post-swing stumble. Muscle spasms could be rested and treated away in a day or two, and the best hope is that since he was way out of contention it was better to be safe than sorry and get off the course. At this hour I think it is premature to write off the rest of the year for Tiger.

Now, having said that, I wish Tiger would take a more long-term view of some of the swings he chooses from difficult lies. I think he could lose the 'Superman' mentality and play with a little safety in mind - he proved Thursday he can answer bogeys, but he has to stay healthy to do it.

I just think he plays next week, he's set up now with the media. Play well and its a miracle for the ages, play crappy and the excuse is there.

I think he's done for 2014 and while I would like to see him in top form for 2015 I'm just not sure it can happen with what we saw from this last recovery.

The back just doesn't mess around.....and I ain't even touching the swing aspect of this (re: Foley).

While I agree he may do this, will he really have a legitimate chance at the majors if he isn't playing regularly?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

While I agree he may do this, will he really have a legitimate chance at the majors if he isn't playing regularly?

I always lean yes bc it's Tiger & even though he hasn't showed it, he can come in and dominate if he catches fire.

I always lean yes bc it's Tiger & even though he hasn't showed it, he can come in and dominate if he catches fire.

Maybe Tiger of old.. I just think he'll never be in form to compete without getting regular reps

Afraid that he is no longer the Tiger of old, he certainly has done a world of good for golf but his fellow players are no longer in fear of him as they once were and its hard not to believe that his priorities are no longer with the day in day needs out of being a top level tour pro, while his heart is still in and he desperately wants to play at the top I believe he is very much in the twilight of an amazing career, sure there may be one or two more "tiger" moments but without the ability to play/practice day in day out it will be hit and miss

Maybe time to rekindle his off course activities

Isn't that basically what he does historically? Usually plays 15-16 events a year when healthy, with four being majors and a primer before those there is 8. Throw in FedEx playoffs, Memorial, and WGC events and his tournament you basically get back to those numbers. If he cuts back much more rust becomes an issue.

If he cuts back much more rust becomes an issue.

This was my thoughts. People (incl Tiger) have been citing rust as culprit for his inconsistent play currently, we'd be hearing the same thing then in my opinion.

I'd love to know how many experts are saying, "Told you this would happen". I'm not at all surprised he's aggravated his back, it was way too soon to come back. As for the future, who knows? IMO he's done, he's fragile and no longer scares other players. Add to that the fact his mental game is crap at the moment and has been for a while I can't see him winning another major. All the TW lovers can calm down now, I'm not interested in an argument or being called a troll and for christs sake don't harp on about his past accomplishments and in particular last year. He hasn't won a major in a LONG time.

Isn't that basically what he does historically? Usually plays 15-16 events a year when healthy, with four being majors and a primer before those there is 8. Throw in FedEx playoffs, Memorial, and WGC events and his tournament you basically get back to those numbers. If he cuts back much more rust becomes an issue.

I was thinking he cuts out overseas stuff he normally does early in the season. Won't surprise me to see WGC fall off the schedule bc there isn't more to prove there

Wow! The guy wind Five last year, gets hurt and now some got him in retirement.He is still one of the best golfers out there. He will win more then just one more major before all is said and done.Did he come back to soon ? Yes that was made clear today.<><

Wow! The guy wind Five last year, gets hurt and now some got him in retirement.He is still one of the best golfers out there. He will win more then just one more major before all is said and done.Did he come back to soon ? Yes that was made clear today.<><

I'm not sure anyone said retirement, just that he wants Jack's record & can see an even more scaled back schedule to get there.

I hope he shuts it down until 2015. I hope he seals council for what ever demons are eating at him. I hope he makes his meetings with another top teacher permanent and I hope he returns to form.

Back