Mizuno #AStarIsBoron

A lot has been stated about how Vague the marketing is, I think just maybe its a brilliant move, a little info at a time. A little tease here and there, piques on the curiosity aspect!

JPX-850 forged irons (with boron?)..................I am getting tingly about these!

I notice Boron is listed as a Non-Metal.
Admittingly, High school, heck even College Chemistry was a LONG time ago...

Carbon, is another NON Metal, Is it a movement towards Carbon (Or Boronic in this case) fiber materials being used in club face materials?

Am I overthinking? or am I so blatantly off base that my stupidity reigns?

All metals that are actually used to make anything are alloys* - mixtures of different elements; many of which are metals. Carbon is always used to make steel, but other nonmetals can be mixed in to change the size of the grains in the microscopic structures - and this gives each alloy its different characteristics. So, Mizuno must be mixing in boron to increase the hardness of the alloy (I'm guessing based on an earlier post).

*unless it's 24 karat gold (that's 100% Au)

I don't get it guys…..TaylorMade paints a driver white or puts a "speed pocket" in and people go absolutely gah-gah. Mizuno incorporates Boron and people go "How ridiculous."

What's different about what Mizuno is doing than TM, Callaway, Cobra or whomever else? Do you really believe that some club manufacturers have found revolutionary technologies a Mizuno has not? There are only so many things a club manufacturer can do. The USGA sees to that. The rest of it is just marketing, no matter what the company says. Why do we believe some companies' marketing and diss others?
Quick, without looking it up, what do you know about boron? I'm an overly educated guy and I know almost zip, zero, nada. Yes, it is marketing like the other companies. But so far it is marketing without meaning. The speed pockets and turbulators and Sir Isaac and SLDR, etc., may all be hooey, but their names inherently have some marketing value because they translate to something tangible to golf. So with those names you can do teasers because the names actually tease the consumer. Boron, not so much.

Having said all that, I am interested to see what they are doing. Undoubtedly they believe they have something here or they wouldn't be teasing it like this. I'd like to know what they have come up with. Unfortunately, the block of boron and hat with its atomic mass just aren't doing much for me. Yet.

Last edited:
Or the error was done by the company making the hat and was not caught before it arrived to THP.

Not sure how I can criticize Mizuno for the teases, no matter how little they tell me. It's all leading up to something, little by little, giving me hints as they go.

If they were making commercials with these teases, that's one thing. But I've only seen them as they come to THP.

Or the error was done by the company making the hat and was not caught before it arrived to THP.

Not sure how I can criticize Mizuno for the teases, no matter how little they tell me. It's all leading up to something, little by little, giving me hints as they go.

If they were making commercials with these teases, that's one thing. But I've only seen them as they come to THP.

I'd have to think the art was provided by Mizuno or their ad agency.

I'd have to think the art was provided by Mizuno or their ad agency.

Yes, it would be provided by them, but since it is stitched, or whatever that is called, I would imagine someone would have to enter it into a machine of some sort and could have had it entered incorrectly.

I'm intrigued by what they're doing but teasing like this, with the obscurity of what they're teasing, can't truly be helping things. It is interesting they're doing something different for them. Surprising to see that out of Mizuno.

The funny thing is, I guess it's working. I'm legitimately interested in why they're using boron in the alloy for a golf club.

Very interesting i guess the are going to be able to move the weight efficiently with the boron

Yup - and I'll see your science teacher/nerd & raise you one (guilty as charged): I think Mizuno made a typo: Average atomic mas of boron is 10.811 amu (not 10.881 I know - who cares...)

Sorry, my inner nerd keeps escaping: boron is actually a nonmetal - but this is metallurgy talk, so I understand it's a nerd quibble.

Actually, my first thought when the word "boron" was mentioned was a line from the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy": early in the movie the hero (a wild animal researcher) is digging through elephant crap to analyze it on a mass spectrometer & says "Hmm. these elephant droppings show an alarming lack of boron"

Don't ask me why this stuff gets into my head - I'm just glad to get it out.

Actually the Avg. atomic weight of all isotopes of boron is 10.881 the most abundant form has a atomic weight of 10.811 so both are actually correct

To be fair, crap or not, we are all speculating as to what it could be used for and will probably all check out the clubs (I assume) when the preview pops up. So to that end, it's good marketing to the online community in that it's a bit better and makes people think. Given that Mizuno tend to be associated with quality and making very good, if a bit conservative irons, I'm interested to see whether their R & D has come up with a gem here.

The other possibility is that they've seen the 'speed pocket' and 'turbulators' grab attention and decided they need to do something different just to gain a bit more market share...

That said, I imagine this is just the stuff they're going to send out in teasers and not the actual marketing. I mean, nobody would be stupid enough to use boron as a strategy, let alone a slogan to sell golf clubs of all things, ...would they?

Show me the 850's. I'm curious.

Boron. Psh.

Show me the 850's. I'm curious.

Boron. Psh.

They look incredible. More conservative cavity like the 825s instead of the odd orange on the EZ. All silver and chrome coloring.

The 850 forged has a COR of .825, with the regular 850 being .830 just like the speedbladez, so both sets should be longer than the predecessors.

Last edited:
They look incredible. More conservative cavity like the 825s instead of the odd orange on the EZ. All silver and chrome coloring.

The 850 forged has a COR of .825, witg the regular 850 being .830 just like the speedbladez, so both sets should be longer than the predecessors.

To be fair, the EZ's were a totally different line and not meant as a replacement or iteration of the 800 series.

Also, COR measurements are intended for drivers, other clubs don't have to be sent in for those measurements. Had a great conversation with a couple of OEM club designers about this last year, they send their fairways in just to make their staffers feel better, and also everyone measures the "COR" in the other clubs int heir own specific way, that test was designed for drivers so it is easily manipulable and altered in other clubs like irons.

To be fair, the EZ's were a totally different line and not meant as a replacement or iteration of the 800 series.

Agreed, it was just rather different coming from Mizuno as usually they stick to a more classic look with the blue, so it was more out of the box.

35b5gmx.jpg

Generating 7 pages of replies from a hat isn't bad marketing at all. I'd say it's working thus far. Excited to see the clubs.

Generating 7 pages of replies from a hat isn't bad marketing at all. I'd say it's working thus far. Excited to see the clubs.

To be fair there was a thread about "What socks did you wear today" a while back that had over 20 pages I believe. Heh

To be fair there was a thread about "What socks did you wear today" a while back that had over 20 pages I believe. Heh

Yeah, that is a tough one. Its a follow up to something people already wanted more, so half the replies are "Well, give me more". Sure people are talking, but at the same time, the response tone has to be taken at least a little bit. To give you an example, check out what happened when TaylorMade launched the JetSpeed puppets. Sure people were talking, but it was all negative and the product had little buzz.

The golf industry is not a celebrity - negative buzz doesn't equal good things

The golf industry is not a celebrity - negative buzz doesn't equal good things

Im not sure this is real negative though. This could be more about lack of buzz...buzz if that makes sense. For the first time I can remember, people want to know more, partly due to the fact that at least around here, the majority of the reviews on the EZ line were average at best. Where as the line previous to that from the JPX side of things, was solidly well liked by the readers here. So that leads to this one. Its quite interesting to follow the buildup from an outsider looking in though. Because in the end, you guys are the one's that have to like something.

"Chlorophyll...more like Borophyll."

DAMN YOU! Stole my thunder! Well played, sir.....well played indeed.

Well, we've been right so far that the boron was for the JPX line. I wonder if they are going to use boron for perimeter weighting or heel weighting the same way a few of the other OEMs have used tungsten.

Outside of the golf forum, where else are the advertising? I wonder how many are actually being exposed to this marketing?

Back