Any regrets if you had to walk away from the game?

If you had asked this question on June 5, I'm sure my answer would've been completely different. But now after an injury and 3 months off (basically), I would have no regrets if I were unable to play ever again.

It took me a long time to figure it out, but I have finally learned to enjoy everything about this game. I don't have a hole-in-one; I've never broken 80; and I've never played a bunch of courses I'll probably never get to play. But I've played 7 THP events in 2 years; I've traveled to new places and met new people; I've played a handful of incredible courses; and I've beaten my dad. And those memories would be the ones I'd hang on to.

I think the big difference here is the difference between "don't" and "can't." For me, I find it's much more likely to regret the things you don't do as opposed to the things you can't do. My perfect example is the Morgan Cup. After backing out due to injury, my decision to attend was not an easy one. I decided that if I go, I'll regret the fact that I can't play way less than my regret if I don't go at all. And in the end, it was the right decision for me to go.

I probably have the same regret if I walked away that I do now. I wish I had started playing regularly and gotten serious about the game a long time ago. I went from playing a handful of times a year to over 50 rounds the last few years. Golf was always an afterthought to my other sports.

I believe it would take guts to actually walk away from something you have been doing for so long. Having no regrets would ease the break away and the long term withdrawal depends on the mental adjustment to not having golf as a habit. For me golf became more of a habit than one where I looked to improve dramatically or set new PB's etc. When golf becomes a habit like smoking or whatever and the only reason you go out, is because it's there or available then maybe it's time to do some soul searching. Questions like what would I do for recreation? Golf is one sport where you can continue play up into the later stages of life. Or maybe just continue going through the motions and use it only for the social aspect. This (not seeing my friends) would be the hardest part for me and truly would be a regret. If I was no longer able to enjoy my social contacts with the awesome friends I have made over the years, it would be a huge downer. What other sports would you be able to enjoy in the sixties and up. I suppose I am very fortunate to actually enjoy going to my gym. It's a physical and mental pill for me. I don't keep scores on how well I perform on any given day. I just go, work out, and come home feeling good and that's every single time I go. I have three months to decide whether the game is on or the clubs are out of the truck. The decision will come more from my physical condition as opposed to my real wants and desires.

only regret I would have if I walked away today would be not spending as much time as I do with my son (six4three5). we practice together and play together on occasions and that is time spent I would not trade for anything in the world!

I'd have a few regrets if I walked away:
I'd regret never shooting even par.
I'd regret not playing in more official tournaments.
I'd regret not playing with my old man while he is still able.
I'd regret never letting a professional fix my swing, or at least try.

I walked away in 2001 when my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia, she passed in 2003 my kids were young so I walked away from the game with no regrets since my kids were the priority. I just picked up the clubs again about a year ago my kids are older and self sufficient these days but I had been away so long it never really crossed my mind until a couple old friends just about dragged me out on the course. Thank god for old friends because I am once again addicted to the game. I had no regrets leaving it behind under the circumstances but I am glad I am back. Just wish I still had the old swing. Working on that.

No regrets on what was or wasn't done but the REGRET I was giving it up not cause I wanted to but had to.
And my back about has me to that point

If I had to put the clubs away today, I would have only 2 regrets.

1. Never having played in a THP outing.
2. Never making an ace.

Same here i hope to fix #1 next year when an event comes to the WC

Today I met a guy at church who had very nearly died from a highly resistant bacterial infection ...long story short, the residual effects of his illness make most of the aspects of golf impossible...the sunlight, dynamic multi-joint movement, etc. I told him what I thought, "Man, that stinks." He said it stinks to not be able to play golf...but he said that he can't do a lot of things he misses more than golf. Can't run, can't horse around with his kids very much. That stuff bums him out way more than not being able to golf.

It was a healthy dose of perspective. I suppose if the game passes me by when I'm a bit older it might feel different, but if I had to give up the game at 31, it would mean it's because I'm either working way too much, or I can't physically do a ton of the other stuff that I'd probably miss more than golfing. The idea of not running, or lifting weights, or playing with my kids ever again makes me feel worse than never playing another game of golf.

I'd have a few regrets if I had to right now. I don't think I've come any where near my potential. I would regret not having/taken more time to try to get there. I would regret not playing with friends and family more. I would regret not being able to tee it up with several THPers I still want to. Mostly I would regret not being able to play the game that I get so much of an escape in playing, any more.

That said, if I had to, I would turn to my music more again, something I need to do more of anyway.

I would regret not being able to share the game with friends and my kids. The annual guys trip, the time on the course with my son and daughter and going for ice cream together afterward. Not doing that any longer would suck.

If I HAD to give it up, I'd surely miss playing.... but, regrets? Not likely. It is what it is.... a game. I often wish I had taken it up many years ago, rather than just a year and 1/2 ago, because I enjoy it immensely. I'm very into golf these days... playing 4/5 times a week and volunteering at USGA/PGA/Champions Tour events. But I don't regret it. I gave up or scaled back many other activities for golf and I have no regrets about that.

I believe it would take guts to actually walk away from something you have been doing for so long. Having no regrets would ease the break away and the long term withdrawal depends on the mental adjustment to not having golf as a habit. For me golf became more of a habit than one where I looked to improve dramatically or set new PB's etc. When golf becomes a habit like smoking or whatever and the only reason you go out, is because it's there or available then maybe it's time to do some soul searching. Questions like what would I do for recreation? Golf is one sport where you can continue play up into the later stages of life. Or maybe just continue going through the motions and use it only for the social aspect. This (not seeing my friends) would be the hardest part for me and truly would be a regret. If I was no longer able to enjoy my social contacts with the awesome friends I have made over the years, it would be a huge downer. What other sports would you be able to enjoy in the sixties and up. I suppose I am very fortunate to actually enjoy going to my gym. It's a physical and mental pill for me. I don't keep scores on how well I perform on any given day. I just go, work out, and come home feeling good and that's every single time I go. I have three months to decide whether the game is on or the clubs are out of the truck. The decision will come more from my physical condition as opposed to my real wants and desires.

I've found myself listening to the old(er) guard in life more and more lately, and you're about one the best examples of free spirited wisdom their is. I wish you the absolute best in staying on the course, thank you for your service in nam. :good:

In my 64 years, I've had to give up several things that I truly loved. I had to give up football after sooooooo many injuries. One new knee with the other almost ready for replacement. I sang for 30+ years until thyroid cancer. I took up golf after being away for 20+ years. I would certainly miss golf A LOT. But I'm sure I would still follow it. But life can change unexpectedly. Many times for the better. If I start to travel more in my retirement, I would probably play a lot less if not stop.

No regrets here. I've had a blast playing these past years. From the people with whom I've played to many memorial shots, some that I've hit!!!

Ole Gary, I am very new to this site, but have come across a number of your posts in varying forums. I am sorry that you must leave the game as you know it. I can only assume there are health issues. I hope they are minor and not life threatening. With that said, based on my witness of only a few of your post; the game has given you great joy...Have you considered, if you have not already done so, becoming involved in a local youth golf group and passing some of your knowledge to children? I was given my first clubs, age 11, and lessons by a neighbor who required that I cleaned them up and when done he would take me to the CC. I was ready the follow day, a few days later I was taking my smacks at the dimpled ball. I'm now 66 years old, I've been with and without the joy of golf at best count 5 times over the course of my life, for various reasons...7's on par 3's was a big one and more than once. I'm here now and hope to stay. Most important, I will always hold close to my heart, Mr. Tom McKay who introduced me to Golf and Lessons of Life the Golf has to offer...Pass it Forward.

The Very Best to You and Yours

LDKliewer

Ole Gary, I am very new to this site, but have come across a number of your posts in varying forums. I am sorry that you must leave the game as you know it. I can only assume there are health issues. I hope they are minor and not life threatening. With that said, based on my witness of only a few of your post; the game has given you great joy...Have you considered, if you have not already done so, becoming involved in a local youth golf group and passing some of your knowledge to children? I was given my first clubs, age 11, and lessons by a neighbor who required that I cleaned them up and when done he would take me to the CC. I was ready the follow day, a few days later I was taking my smacks at the dimpled ball. I'm now 66 years old, I've been with and without the joy of golf at best count 5 times over the course of my life, for various reasons...7's on par 3's was a big one and more than once. I'm here now and hope to stay. Most important, I will always hold close to my heart, Mr. Tom McKay who introduced me to Golf and Lessons of Life the Golf has to offer...Pass it Forward.

The Very Best to You and Yours

LDKliewer

LD

As far as helping the youth I enjoyed the heck out of coaching Little League baseball back when my son was involved. If I came to the point where I had to put my clubs down, then I would walk away and dive into something totally different. I'm not sure golf would be part of the equation because it would be hard to not want to play and be on a course at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I'm not totally committed in saying I'm not coming back to play again. At least not yet. I have unfinished business with a total knee replacement surgery that has not healed properly as it should have. I may need more surgery with it still yet. Not to mention it's also based on how well I recover from very recent hip surgery and what kind of enjoyment I would have left playing the game in the condition I come back in. Can you imagine trying to play this game with a bum knee and hip on the same side of the body. Pretty tough stuff to deal with. It's truly going to test my love for the game of golf. Do I want to put my body and mind back in the game playing a hard enough game for a young strong person.

I've had lot's of time to think about my future playing the game of golf. At the moment I have no clue what direction I will seek. My body has to honker down and show me its able to take the hits the game of golf can hand out.

Thanks for the advice and wisdom you are sharing with me :thumb:

LD

As far as helping the youth I enjoyed the heck out of coaching Little League baseball back when my son was involved. If I came to the point where I had to put my clubs down, then I would walk away and dive into something totally different. I'm not sure golf would be part of the equation because it would be hard to not want to play and be on a course at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I'm not totally committed in saying I'm not coming back to play again. At least not yet. I have unfinished business with a total knee replacement surgery that has not healed properly as it should have. I may need more surgery with it still yet. Not to mention it's also based on how well I recover from very recent hip surgery and what kind of enjoyment I would have left playing the game in the condition I come back in. Can you imagine trying to play this game with a bum knee and hip on the same side of the body. Pretty tough stuff to deal with. It's truly going to test my love for the game of golf. Do I want to put my body and mind back in the game playing a hard enough game for a young strong person.

I've had lot's of time to think about my future playing the game of golf. At the moment I have no clue what direction I will seek. My body has to honker down and show me its able to take the hits the game of golf can hand out.

Thanks for the advice and wisdom you are sharing with me :thumb:

There's no rush! You can't not do anything until the healing is done anyway. I guessing that your knee problems related to the previous partial replacement?

It is frustrating as heck having to go the "wait and see" route.

Bill, slow down fella. Listen to your good buddy and fellow old coot! No decision is required now or anytime soon. Golf may not be what it was for you as far as playing abilities. However, I had the pleasure of playing with you and your loving wife. Giving up on the game is passing on those times you guys share on the course. No more watch out sweety, and hearing words like "I'm going to my ball baby". Sharing that time with you meant more for Lee and I than you realize. Not to mention we look forward to doing it again sometime. Keep your head up, and stay strong buddy

Honestly, I dont believe I'll have any regrets if I never return to the game.Haven't played since May and Dont see playing in the near future.I still work on clubs and teach.Just Don't play the game for a few reasons.Guess, I'll have to see in a few more months or years if I have regrets.

My regrets would be not playing for almost 10 years after discovering golf at school and missing the opportunity to groove a good swing at a younger age .
My other regret would be not being able to play golf with ranger junior as that is truly precious father/son time that we both enjoy.

As for You OG dont make any hasty descisions....I have a severely crocked ankle that will never be right and the follow on for that is a knee on the same side that is on the way out ...but I enjoy the feeling of hitting a good shot too much to quit, surgery for me is also on the cards , but I am just too stubborn ( as I suspect you are ) to give up easily. take your time , listen to your physio and come back strong....:angel:

There's no rush! You can't not do anything until the healing is done anyway. I guessing that your knee problems related to the previous partial replacement?

It is frustrating as heck having to go the "wait and see" route.

Yep. The first surgery that I had on my knee was a partial knee replacement. My current surgeon said when he opened up my knee there was a bunch that had gone wrong or had been wrong since the beginning. I was living on a knee that was not put back together as it should have been. I had a scope a few years after the uni and that was done to fix a torn meniscus and clean out some bone fragments. This was done by the same surgeon that operated on me the first time. By the time I had my third surgery last October by my new Doctor up here in Athens, he said my knee was all screwed up. I won't go into everything that was wrong but it was a mess. Now with the last surgery being seven months ago and my knee still swollen and hurting there may be a fourth surgery. Brother you have been through these things (major knee surgery) and know how hard the recovery can be. It's not a cake walk by any means and the thought of having one on top of my hip surgery is demoralizing to say the least. I love to see my friends and chat now days more than I do the actual golfing part. So if I'm able to come back physically then I'll do it if for nothing else but to see you old coots again. :D There are several younger THP'ers that I have yet to meet/play with so maybe I can work in a trip or two to do that as well.

Bill, slow down fella. Listen to your good buddy and fellow old coot! No decision is required now or anytime soon. Golf may not be what it was for you as far as playing abilities. However, I had the pleasure of playing with you and your loving wife. Giving up on the game is passing on those times you guys share on the course. No more watch out sweety, and hearing words like "I'm going to my ball baby". Sharing that time with you meant more for Lee and I than you realize. Not to mention we look forward to doing it again sometime. Keep your head up, and stay strong buddy

Man you are the best! You are such a cool friend and always so encouraging. Kelly and I would play with you and Lee again even if it means I had to ride around in one of those electric wheel chairs whacking the hell out of the ball all the way to the hole. We WILL play again bruther :bomb:

Man I feel for you Bill, that many surgeries on one body part will no dubt take its toll both physically and mentally. I now fully understand what brought on the thinking and man I hope they get everything right and your best golf is in front of you.

Its funny how we have plenty of time to do what needs to be done and no patience lol. Heal well I know your in the best possible hands with Kelly Bo around. Hopefully one day my wife and I will be able to tee it up with you two.

I walked away from the game in 2002. I put the clubs away for 9 months and never regretted a minute of it. I found that my family and friends missed me playing more than I did.

It's just a game and had afforded me so very much. But I could walk away tomorrow and be perfectly fine.

Man I feel for you Bill, that many surgeries on one body part will no dubt take its toll both physically and mentally. I now fully understand what brought on the thinking and man I hope they get everything right and your best golf is in front of you.

Its funny how we have plenty of time to do what needs to be done and no patience lol. Heal well I know your in the best possible hands with Kelly Bo around. Hopefully one day my wife and I will be able to tee it up with you two.

I would love this :thumb:

Bill, I haven't chimed in here much because I refuse to believe that you will have to hang it up. I fully expect to be teeing it up with you many more times in the future. Should your health absolutely make you give up golf I know the old coots would gather in Watkinsville for some friendly shuffle board so we could enjoy being together. Friendships are so much more important that anything else. Get well you old coot!

Back