As a youngster, how were you disciplined?

I got spanked, a lot, with belts, switches, etc.

However, even as a child I would never accept any punishment intended to take away my freedom.

Was spanked maybe once or twice by my mom. My dad got his ass beat by his dad but never believed in spanking me. He still feels that I shouldn't spank my own but I spank my own kid once in a blue moon. I just feel it's appropriate depending on the situation. Most times it isn't necessary for me to spank him.

From what my parents have told me I was a pretty well behaved kid. I do remember 1 time getting a few pops with a belt when I was 4 or 5 and another getting my mouth washed out with soap after repeating a word I learned from an older cousin. I vividly remember always thinking about consequences after the belt incident and made decisions that would not lead me to getting spanked.

Now I have 2 little guys of my own and plan to raise them the same way. My oldest is in the terrible 2's now and starting to get to the point where taking things away and time out isn't cutting it anymore. May have to resort to washing his mouth out with soap when he gets in to his bigger tantrums.

Tons of spankings and beatings by whatever was in reach lol, belts, brooms, switches, yard sticks, hands, I was hard headed and up to no good quite a bit, I earned every beating I ever got.

I have a feeling this thread is not going to end well lol.

I received "a beating" or what most call spanking with belts, hand, wooden spoon. I was also grounded or had privileges taken away. I turned out to be quite ok and no trauma from my youth.

Tons of spankings and beatings by whatever was in reach lol, belts, brooms, switches, yard sticks, hands, I was hard headed and up to no good quite a bit, I earned every beating I ever got.

I have a feeling this thread is not going to end well lol.

LOL. You're probably going to get spanked for posting this. :act-up:

I got spanked, a couple times with a belt. But that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was getting in trouble, my mom sending me to me room, and then waiting for my father to come home. That time period between offense and punishment was agonizing!

Anyway, I feel like I turned out OK, don't hold any resentment towards my parents and I love them dearly for caring, as opposed to some of my friends at the time who i thought had "cool" parents because they let them do anything...and alot of those same friends did time or are currently in their 30's making min wage at some fastfood restaurant. So I appreciate my parents putting the fear of god into me. They're not supposed to be best friends. And while I don't think I'll ever resort to using a belt on my kids, I've already given them a handful of butt spankings in the past year. Every time a lesson that they've learned from, and my wife and I are constantly hearing from their teacher and others how well behaved they are...so I feel like while i'm sure there are things we could do better, we're doing the best we can and they're on a good track.

I got spanked once and my mother apologized the next morning because she thought it was wrong to strike a child for any reason. She taught me that spankings are the easy way out.

The worst punishment I ever received was being told by my mother that I had disappointed her.

I got licks with a paddle, a belt, even a tupperware spoon. I also had to pick my own switch.

I turned out fine.

Dad used a belt and mom used a yard stick. In school it was a wooden paddle. Our parents rule was if you got wacked in school (they would call your parents) you got another one at home.

I turned out fine as well.

I got spanked once and my mother apologized the next morning because she thought it was wrong to strike a child for any reason. She taught me that spankings are the easy way out.

The worst punishment I ever received was being told by my mother that I had disappointed her.

If you think it's easy to spank your kid you are dead wrong.
My dad used to tell me that "this hurts me as much as it will you". I never understood that until now.
It's definitely not easy if you love your kids. And yes, I spank my kids because I love them.

I got spanked and/or grounded. My parents didn't hit me with objects.. It was an open hand to the butt. I think my grandmother swatted me on the backside with a rolled up newspaper once, which didn't hurt as bad as the open hand. The lady who took care of me after school would swat her kid with a wooden spoon, but it didn't seem to hurt him, even when she broke it in half over his butt.

Dad used a belt and mom used a yard stick. In school it was a wooden paddle. Our parents rule was if you got wacked in school (they would call your parents) you got another one at home.

I turned out fine as well.

Hahaha, I was ALWAYS more concerned about the one coming at home than the one at school.

If you think it's easy to spank your kid you are dead wrong.
My dad used to tell me that "this hurts me as much as it will you". I never understood that until now.
It's definitely not easy if you love your kids. And yes, I spank my kids because I love them.

I am not going to question your parenting methods, because they are yours and not mine. I choose to and was raised to not spank kids. That doesn't mean they get off easy or that I am soft. It doesn't mean my kids are spoiled or rotten. It means that I do not think it's right to spank, swat, or strike my kids in anyway. If you do that in your house, you're choice. If you do that to my kids, even if in your house, I would be very unhappy to put it mildly.

I am not going to question your parenting methods, because they are yours and not mine. I choose to and was raised to not spank kids. That doesn't mean they get off easy or that I am soft. It doesn't mean my kids are spoiled or rotten. It means that I do not think it's right to spank, swat, or strike my kids in anyway. If you do that in your house, you're choice. If you do that to my kids, even if in your house, I would be very unhappy to put it mildly.

That's a great thing to say, except that you have repeatedly referred to anybody who spanks as a lazy parent. So you have repeatedly questioned his parenting method.

Ya'll need to find a punishing your children forum and quit stinking up this place.

Ya'll need to find a punishing your children forum and quit stinking up this place.

Do I get to say something similar in the fantasy football threads?

:alien:

Looks like to me there is not be near enough paddling or switching happening. Smart mouthed kids, many with their pants falling off. I'm in favor of school uniforms and reinstating the military draft.

That's a great thing to say, except that you have repeatedly referred to anybody who spanks as a lazy parent. So you have repeatedly questioned his parenting method.

I had to take a minute to think about how to respond to this...here it goes.

I believe spanking a child is lazy parenting. But it is still parenting, and despite how vocally I am against it, I don't believe a swat on the butt, or even two, will scar a child for life. As long as spanking is not the go to method of punishment. I choose not to spank my children. I have an almost 4 year old girl and a 1-1/2 year old son.

Once somebody uses a tree branch to leave bloody welts on a 4 year old, they have crossed a line. That is not parenting IMO.

Got my licks all the time on my butt. And mom used every time my hotwheel tracks.

Did I deserve it? EVERY TIME. Not once was it uncalled for. Did it hurt? HELL YES. With the things I did to my parents as a youngster I deserved even more than I got.

Did it do any good? I believe so. I look at the end result. My uneducated parents from small towns in remote areas of Greece produced a Civil Engineer and a Plastic Surgeon who at 36 was the lead of a team that does face transplants. Not bad eh? I have never stolen, I don't believe in violence (I have never raised a hand on an individual as an adult), don't do drugs, don't drink, I think I'm a great husband and father of 4 boys. Don't scam people etc. Not very religious. But I think if there is a heaven I am looking good.

Do I layeth the smacketh on my 4 boys rear end? Come see the UFC matches on demand in my house that breaks out all the time between them and tell me if they don't need it. I do. I use many methods of discipline. Go to your room, no TV, Time Outs, and the but smack. Depends on the situation.

Hahaha, I was ALWAYS more concerned about the one coming at home than the one at school.

haha My dad would say you didn't get enough. Here is more.

Going to school in Greece was tough stuff. Teachers had free range on our behinds.

I consider myself still a younger person for this forum. I can say the discipline i most feared as a child was a spank with a wooden spoon or kneeing in the corner. There were threats of kneeing on rice but that never happened it was more of a threat to get me to accept the punishment already earned. And it was always earned. was a bit of a hellion as a child, still am sometimes, now i just get disciplined by myself with a hangover.

I deserved it and got another spanking when I got home, guess what it worked, I did not act a fool after that.

Oddly enough, my parents used the exact same formula. It taught me that there consequences for my actions. The worse the action, the worse the consequence.

Back