Admit it, You Were Wrong about X (Driver, Shaft, Ball, Etc.)

I've been wrong about "X Flex" shafts. If you listen to most, and believe what you read from most, X flex shafts cost one distance over Stiff flex, and should only be played by pros. Well, since shifting to X flex in my driver, fairway, and hybrids, I haven't lost any distance at all. I've even been hitting them longer than my previous shafts. Funny, really. I've been told by many a person at demo days and even golf shops that I shouldn't hit an X flex. Glad to know how wrong they've been!

I came to this forum way back when thinking Titleist had the best ball in the market. Spending time on this forum has taught me different.

"I have an SBST stroke, so I should be hitting mallets, even though I don't like how they look."

So glad I got over this one. Blades just suit my eye and alignment so much better!

Thinking that playing the modern equipment was essentially cheating. Sticking with old equipment longer than I should. I could go on but I will spare everyone.

Player's irons. They kept my handicap about five strokes higher than it should be.

I was always frustrated that I would hit a lot of fairways but miss the green. I realized that my swing was an issue, but the irons really weren't helping.

Hybrids. Hated them until my Ping I20 and now my Adams Pro Mini

Internet golfers are never wrong! Push carts for me. Always thought it would cut down on where I could walk, etc so kept carrying until about 3 months ago. The benefits of npt lugging the bag on my shoulders for 18 far outweighs not being able to go everywhere with the push cart.

Set wedges.

Did not think they would help my game at all. My short game has improved by more than I can ever explain.

I didn't give forgiveness in irons the credit it deserves for awhile there.

I didn't give forgiveness in irons the credit it deserves for awhile there.

Ditto.

And at one point I believed I needed heavier shafts with lower launch. Lame.

Stock Altitude graphite iron shafts. 55g is scary (think that's the weight) to think about but they absolutely work.

I believed the common Internet saying that beginners should get regular flex shafts. It was a nightmare for me.

Also the myth that you can't hit too high. Again, horrible idea for me. I hit X-flex irons longer and in the desired height according to a TMPL fitting (in KBS Tour shafts). Which brings me to another thought, fittings would benefit anyone that doesn't ready know what they should be hitting.

And finally, that my handicap was no wear near as good as I thought after switching from an easy course to a difficult course. I was shooting in the 90's at a wide open course where I often hit my second shot from adjacent fairways. Now with water or trees on either side of every hole on my current courses, I realized my handicap was a fantasy that would not travel to any respectably difficult course. I'm working on that now though.

That xstiff low spin shafts would dramatically alter my ball flight.

I figured GPS and range finders were a fad. Sprinkler heads were better (more accurate) than other distance tools, 'cause they had to be correct.
I was wrong. Love the laser range finder.

Shaft flex vs swing speed. Faster swing speed needed heavier and stiffer flex. I was so wrong. Very little correlation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

- stock grips are good enough
- not worth it to spend on a putter that fits you
- graphite is for ladies and old coots (I want graphite in my next set, just cant justify to spend the cash on shafts right now)

My current 3W. After a miserable affair with an old XHot 3W, I never wanted one again. However, a few months ago I saw a deal that I couldn't pass up and picked up the 3W that I currently game. I love it. Love hitting hit, love hearing the PING when you hit the sweet spot, love how easy it is even in light rough.

Center shafted putters. I thought for a long time that I just couldn't make them work.

That changed in a big way.

The biggest one for me was probably underestimating the importance of having good grips. I literally played for YEARS with shot grips.

The returns are early but the second biggest thing for me may be using "Consistentees." I didn't realize how inconsistently I was teeing the ball, even with tees that had stripes on them (e.g. Epoch). The contact on the driver face, particularly vertically, is much more "consistent" as a result of using them.

I have played years with heavy longer length irons . For practice this was fine , for play not the best at times . I'm early 40's but played great golf the last few years using game improvement irons with senior graphite shafts . For some reason the extra loft and the light shaft really allowed me to hit some great shots . Especially 150 on in , the senior shaft made me very consistent .

Also so took out the 3/4/ and 5 irons and replaced with hybrids with senior shafts . I can repeat some solid shots now with little effort

This is the internet i can't be wrong about any thing

For me definitely lofting up. Especially with my driver. For years I played nothing more than a 9.5* driver. And today I have no shame playing one at 12.5* - always thought I would lose distance and hit balloons. Boy was I wrong!

Tap tap taparoo

Not sure wrong is the right word but I've become a big believer in high bounce wedges.

Back