The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athletes currently have the option to live off site and eat where they want. They get a monthly check to cover those expenses. Most choose this option. The new money is just extra pocket cash.
The athletes I knew 10 years ago, didn't get nearly enough to cover actual eating expenses of the average college student. If they do not have any support from other sources, most student athletes cannot afford the college lifestyle my friends and I had. Paying 10K would change that.

I'm not saying we should pity college athletes, getting a free education is an awesome thing. If they chose not to pay them, I won't be upset. I'm just saying, 10K a year is not a crazy amount to give them.

The athletes I knew 10 years ago, didn't get nearly enough to cover actual eating expenses of the average college student. If they do not have any support from other sources, most student athletes cannot afford the college lifestyle my friends and I had. Paying 10K would change that.

I'm not saying we should pity college athletes, getting a free education is an awesome thing. If they chose not to pay them, I won't be upset. I'm just saying, 10K a year is not a crazy amount to give them.
They couldn't afford college life? Coming out of college with no debt and a degree sounds like a small price to pay for having to skip happy hour.

This may be getting off topic but the amount of money will never be enough. Just basic economics...if a surge of kids with more money enters the housing market prices will go up. Prices go up and their monthly stipend doesn't cover enough.

So, how about this UNC thing, pretty crazy it took this long for someone to get caught doing that.

They couldn't afford college life? Coming out of college with no debt and a degree sounds like a small price to pay for having to skip happy hour.

Like I said, I don't necessarily disagree, but you are telling a bunch of immature 18-23 year olds to skip out on the fun things their friends are doing, then every time we see someone get busted for selling drugs, stealing something, or accepting illegal benefits we call them idiots. Obviously I don't think 10K would resolve this issue, greed will always be present, but I do think it could help in many cases.

I can't believe I've argued this long about this, I'm not fully in the corner of this idea, I just don't think it is a huge deal either way.

So, how about this UNC thing, pretty crazy it took this long for someone to get caught doing that.

If your a UNC basketball recruit you might want to start looking else where for 2015/2016.

Like I said, I don't necessarily disagree, but you are telling a bunch of immature 18-23 year olds to skip out on the fun things their friends are doing, then every time we see someone get busted for selling drugs, stealing something, or accepting illegal benefits we call them idiots. Obviously I don't think 10K would resolve this issue, greed will always be present, but I do think it could help in many cases.

I can't believe I've argued this long about this, I'm not fully in the corner of this idea, I just don't think it is a huge deal either way.

The key for me is the "18-23". They're adults. They should understand that it's time to act like one and make sacrifices. If those athletes can't understand if handle that, that's their problem.

Last edited:
If your a UNC basketball recruit you might want to start looking else where for 2015/2016.

Not just basketball, football as well.

it's crazy.

it's crazy.

But they don't care about football there. It has the potential in crushing one of the elite basketball programs in the country down for a few years. Students getting summer school class credits that didn't even exist.....LOL, at least make 'em show up to A class if your going to fudge the grades. Too classic.

it's crazy.

UNC plays football, I was under the impression they were done with that?

Never would have happened in IA.

I don't know who that is, but it's probably just a big misunderstanding.

... and probably don't want to eat at the same place everyday.
When I was in undergrad, the UB campus had no less than half a dozen cafeteria's, as well as a few eateries that were open evenings only (from like 8pm to midnight). By the time I graduated, they had several restaurant chains on campus which took the food service card. It's not like these athletes are going to eat "at the same place everyday". On campus alone they'll have as many options as your average town.

I heard NC didn't self pose penalties. Provably a smart move since the NCAA won't do a damn thing

No. 9 Gorillas Return Home to Host Lopers Saturday

The Pittsburg State University football team, the No. 9 ranked team in NCAA Division II, will return to the friendly confines of Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium to face the University of Nebraska-Kearney Saturday (Oct. 25). Kickoff for the Gorillas Hall of Fame Game is set for 2 p.m. (CDT). Pittsburg State, the winningest all-time NCAA Division II program, brings a 6-1 record into Saturday's action. The Gorillas knocked off previously unbeaten and No. 1 ranked Northwest Missouri State University last Saturday (Oct. 18) at Maryville, Mo.

Nebraska-Kearney is 2-5 on the season. The Lopers enter Saturday's action on a two-game winning streak after posting a 31-13 victory over Lindenwood University last Saturday (Oct. 18) at Kearney, Neb.

This will be the 17th meeting between the Gorillas and the Lopers in a series that dates back to the 1974 season, but it will be just the second meeting between the two squads since 1988. Pitt State holds a 9-7 edge in the series with a 4-4 mark in games played in Pittsburg.

The Gorillas and Lopers met for 15 consecutive years, between 1974-88, when they were conference foes in the Great Plains Athletic Conference (1974-75) and Central States Intercollegiate Conference (1976-88). Pitt State and UNK most recently met on Nov. 12, 2005, in the first round of the NCAA-II national playoffs at Kearney, Neb. The Gorillas claimed a 49-20 victory in that game.

Pittsburg State University will induct eight new members into its Athletics Hall of Fame Saturday morning (Oct. 25). The group will be hoored during enshrinement cermonies at 8:30 a.m. at the Crimson & Gold Ballroom in the Overman Student Center and recognized at halftim of the Gorillas game against Nebraska-Kearney.

The Hall of Fame class includes a pair of All-American quarterbacks in Brian Hutchins (1990-93) and Neal Philpot (2001-04) as well as two-time All-CIC performer Lon Farrell (1950-51). Additional inductees are track & field All-American Megan (Corby) Haas (1992-95), baseball All-American Daryl Cronk (1996-99), track & field standout David Shrader (1936-40) and ardent PSU boosters Alan & Roberta Whetzel.

Duke Johnson will be playing on Sundays. 185 total yds in the first half.

Nice road win tonight in a tough environment. It should be a confidence boost for this young team. ACC title game is the goal. GO CANES!!

I just read Minnesota, and chance at college football playoffs, in the same sentence.

That's a good chuckle.

Texas and LSU announced a home and home for 2019 in Austin and 202 in Baton Rouge. Freaking Awesome!!!! My to favorite schools. I'd give up golf for a year to go to both those games. Hopefully by then UT is back into the top 10 yearly, LSU is still strong in the $EC, and aggy can whine about getting curb stomped by both schools in one year. I'd cheer for ISIS before ever cheering for aggy.

Did he get banned for that comment??

WOOHOOO!! UF will not disappoint me this weekend!! (Unless someone ends up on the police blotter)

Did he get banned for that comment??

No he got banned because he dumped his entire fantasy team in to free agent pool because he got upset that others got upset about his comment.

Better move on because that is a sore spot right now.

Good win for Illinois.

ESPN radio just called LSUs home field the swamp. That's not quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back