Srixon Z 545 & Z 745 Driver Preview

Can someone remind me what the lighter weight would do compared to the heavier in the 745? Higher or lower ball flight?

In theory should raise the CG and result in lower flight.

You're playing the black tie right? Is that your usual shaft of choice? What setting do you have it on? Neutral is pretty open, at least by the specs we were sent.

Getting out tomorrow (I hope) w the 11g weight in there. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Usual shaft choice yes. I've tried pretty much every setting. It's me though dude. I can't get out like I was this summer. The thing is a beast. It's all on me.

Nice thoughts MBBG. You are not the first I've heard say the S is a sold stiff shaft. It's pretty fantastic.

Played with this on the range today and came away pretty darn impressed. It took me working with the monitor and settings to really get it dialed in, but once it was, I was hitting the ball really well with it. It reminds me a lot of the Z-Star from a few years ago (which I loved), but with some adjustability and a bit more technology packed into it.

Played with this on the range today and came away pretty darn impressed. It took me working with the monitor and settings to really get it dialed in, but once it was, I was hitting the ball really well with it. It reminds me a lot of the Z-Star from a few years ago (which I loved), but with some adjustability and a bit more technology packed into it.
Sadly, I didn't bring this driver today and I wish I did because I hit the ball a TON better than last weekend.

I have a wrench and an 11 gram weight on their way, and I CAN'T WAIT to get this on the monitor out in Ohio next weekend.

Looks good, feels good in my hand, now to just get it dialed in.

The 545 or 745? Or both? What you think about the forgiveness factor?

The 545 or 745? Or both? What you think about the forgiveness factor?

Its the 545 and I did not struggle much with the forgiveness. I had a number of drivers with me today and tested each out with heel and toe to the best of my ability with limited time (the course let me use a closed hole to do so which was nice of them). At the beginning I was hitting the ball too low and launch angle was just under 10*, but once I dialed it up and moved some things around, I was at just about 15* (where I like to be) and hitting the ball really well.

The heel side is VERY forgiving on this one and the toe side was adequate. I would call it forgiving, but not super forgiving. I have seen less out recently and seen more out recently, but the center towards heel is as good as I have seen ball speed wise and that is a nice thing to have for those that miss that direction.

Very cool JB. I too started a little low and adjusted it up to get it right. You use the stock Kuro shaft and if so what flex?

Very cool JB. I too started a little low and adjusted it up to get it right. You use the stock Kuro shaft and if so what flex?

I am in stiff and I like it. It was not my favorite shaft previously, but with this head it feels like it a marriage.

Took this out today with the 11g weight in there, to see if I noticed a difference. Obviously would like some more time at the range to decide for sure, but thinking I might be going back go the 7g weight. Lots of "fore right!" today. But thinking about it, wouldn't the heavier weight move the CG a bit more out towards the toe, and end up with a bit more fade bias? Still, I was finding the center a decent amount, and it was long - just a bit more right than I was looking to be.

One thing I've found interesting is that pretty much across the board, people have commented on how great the KK black matches up with the head. It really is a great pairing.

Took this out today with the 11g weight in there, to see if I noticed a difference. Obviously would like some more time at the range to decide for sure, but thinking I might be going back go the 7g weight. Lots of "fore right!" today. But thinking about it, wouldn't the heavier weight move the CG a bit more out towards the toe, and end up with a bit more fade bias? Still, I was finding the center a decent amount, and it was long - just a bit more right than I was looking to be.

One thing I've found interesting is that pretty much across the board, people have commented on how great the KK black matches up with the head. It really is a great pairing.

Again - so wish I had gone stock shaft here. I need something heavier. I'm a bonehead haha. I do feel that the heavy weighty helps me a ton.

Made it out today and played 18. This guy was just tossing bombs out there. Was on a par 4 that was 312 to center of green and I hit one right down the middle with about 30 yards left. Haven't hit a drive that long since the Indy invitational. Really happy about that and it's defiantly staying in the bag for next year.

I think Mward hit this driver better than I have seen him hit any driver before.

I swear I wasn't trying to steal it after our round.

It was pretty stupid long from the driving range and on. Flying it into a hazard we all thought was out of play was probably a sign..

I'd love to have this driver on my radar but I know I'll never be able to demo one let alone get fit for one around here.

I swear I wasn't trying to steal it after our round.

It was pretty stupid long from the driving range and on. Flying it into a hazard we all thought was out of play was probably a sign..

What loft were you playing in the 545?

Back out with this club today with the 11g weight in it again. Hung the first one a bit out right like I had been the previous time out, but settled in over the course of the round. Hit a couple drives that ended up just short of my all-time long drives on holes at a course I've played at a ton, even with pretty wet conditions and low rollout. Definitely a lot better than the previous round, when I think I was just trying to kill the ball.

I really want to get to the driving range with the club, but there's only so much time to actually play golf this time of year.

10.5. No idea where or what the weights were. It just came off the face fast and with a great ball flight that would do well just about anywhere.

Got to watch Nate pound his Z 745 all day today. Wow, impressive. He tried to get me to hit it, but we kept forgetting while on the tee. Hopefully Friday I can hit this once or twice.

Got to watch Nate pound his Z 745 all day today. Wow, impressive. He tried to get me to hit it, but we kept forgetting while on the tee. Hopefully Friday I can hit this once or twice.

Ha! Yea, you wouldn't take it from me! Good will power!

Hit the 545 10.5 this weekend set to 9.5 after a few swings, love the look, sound, and had some good forgiveness with nice ball speeds for the high toe miss. My fitter thinks the 9.5 would be a better match for my launch angle , but i was getting some very low Spin numbers either way. I was not swinging well at all, so really there could be even better numbers to be had.

Hardcore pondering the Z or Bridgestone J715 which takes 2-3 weeks to order from Japan. Unfortunately it sucks not being able to hit both here in Canada.

Wondering how the Miyazaki Kosuma Blue in the Z545 that Rick Shiels reviewed compares to the Kuro Kage, it's the stock shaft in Japan.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Took the driver out today along with my other driver for some comparison today. I had planned on playing around with the weights but forgot the weight kit in the car. I can say for sure that the 11g is definitely not right for me. It might just be that it gets the swingweight up somewhere that just doesn't work for me. Still long, just losing it way right.

I'm going to see if I can get to the range sometime soon with the weights. Not a lot of time left in the season, but I can also get on the GC2 at a lesson too.

What setting do you have it set on?

Some may find the upright settings to help get it straightened out moreso than the closed face setting. If you rotate the face square at address while hovering the club the L setting won't actually do anything to close the face. Just will add loft. The upright setting will help move the ball flight to the left whether you sole the club at address or bring it to square while hovering. The light weight could certainly help as well.

Playing on the same settings I had earlier - I think a tick towards left - I'll have to check what the lie angle is. I had better luck with the lighter weight so I'll go back to that. Just playing around since the weight kit got sent our way. Figure I'll compare the 7 and 4 and see which works better.

I have been tempted to just go ahead and order the 545 and not even get fit. Have any of you put the drivers on a launch monitor to compare the numbers with the different weights or has it all been visual/feel while playing/practicing?

Back