importance of golf shoes?

phoul

Reaction score
Handicap
currently, i have been playing without golf shoes, just my normal run of the mill everyday sneaker with really nothing on the bottom. i know golf shoes are important. but i was just wondering if there really is a difference between the 30 dollar pair i can buy, and the 250 dollar pair super nike pump air max vapor shoe. i suppose the spikes are better on the nike's but other than that what's the difference?

Well I couldn't imagine playing without shoes, they keep me grounded and balanced, without which I would be all over the place

Well, you could argue that the shoes are one of the most important pieces of equipment. Golfwise I'd assume the difference is negligable, but seeing as you're going to be walking mile upon mile in them, it certainly isn't in item where I'd be looking to save money. As an analogy, I work with computers. I always tell people that the 3 most important pieces of hardware is your monitor, your keyboard and your mouse. However that's exactly where most people are looking to save.

Not saying you should get the Nikes, but I wouldn't be too hung up on the pricetag. Just go with whatever pair feels more comfortable.

One big difference that I have noticed is the comfort factor. I walk as much as possible when I golf. I have a cheaper pair of shoes that absolutely kills my feet. By the end of the round I want to crawl back to my car. If you're riding, it may not matter as much, but you will still be walking quite a bit.

Why don't you look into last season's models? I bought a pair of Adidas Powerband 2.0 for around 80.00 on TGW. Zappos also has some pretty good deals.

importance of golf shoes?

+1 to Hawk. I think golf shoes are a must for comfort and functionality. If you're worries about cost then definitely look at picking up some of last years shoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THere are many differences. They will be different for each person but to me, there are some huge differences.

Comfort
Waterproof
Durability
Style
Etc

i have 3 pairs of golf shoes...
one crappy pair for jacked up course conditions(mud,rain, etc)
one really comfy sneaker style(when im walking a course)
one 'dressy' pair(when i play foo foo courses)

i have to play in spikes cuz sneakers just dont have the traction...
cheapy golf shoes work just fine... but they dont last long and tend to be uncomfy if you walk courses...
if you dont then cheapy shoes are great as long as you replace the spikes every time they wear out... my rain shoes are a $30 buck pair of nike saddle shoes and theyre 3yrs old

Ditto on the comfort portion. The bottom spike portion will be similar on most shoes so the cheap pair will be pretty close to the grip you might find on an expensive pair. What I always tell people is that this is an investment that can last a long time, depending on how much you play, so get something that is comfortable. A good pair should last a few seasons, again, depending on how much you might play, so it can make sense to spend a little more knowing that the cost is really spread out over that time.

I think the comfort level is the biggest differance between expensive /non-expensive shoes. I may be wrong here, but all the different shoes I've looked at seem to have very similar spikes. I'm one of those guy's that swings "out of my shoe's" so I sneekers is not an option. I also have extensive problems with my feet and legs, so comfort is a must. I'm in a search as we speak for the ultimate comfort shoes.

I would agree with most on here that comfort is the biggest difference but also for me stability and balance. I own a pair of FJ contours which are very comfortable but when I play in them they tend to let me get too much weight on my toes and I don't hold my balance as well as I do when I wear my TW 8.5's. Then turn to the Adidas 4.0's I recently bought. They are more comfortable than the TW's but they also seem to keep me lower to the ground at impact and without question help me finish on balance every shot. It may be a mental thing but there is not doubt that while wearing these Adidas that I hit the ball more solid and my foot fatigue is non existant after the round. If you want to save money I would recommend saving it on anything other than a nice fitting pair of golf shoes. Try the 4.0's on and see if they aren't as comfortable as any running shoe you have ever put on your foot. I know I'm now an Adidas guy.

I have 4 pairs of golf shoes. If you are looking for great deals on closeout models check out golflocker.com
I found a pair of sneaker like footjoys for 12.99 there last year. They were great when I wore them to the US OPEN at Bethpage last year. Kept my comfortable and dry.
I also found a pair of footjoy reel clicks on ebay this year for 26 brand new in box.

You can usually find Foot Joy shoes at a decent price. I love my I paid $50 for my most comfortable pair of shoes. They aren't lookers, but they are great for when I spend 6+ hours on the course walking and practicing.

Interesting post. I have often wondered this as well. My current golf shoes are not very comfortable. The last round I wore my everyday sneaks and didnt notice a big difference regarding performance. But I was much more comfortable. I think I played better overall because I was more relaxed. Im sure cleats will help in certain situations but maybe not noticeable with my current skill level. Bottom line I would definitely say that comfort should be the number one factor when selecting golf shoes.

I think comfort is why you see Freddy Couples in his awesome ECCO shoes with no socks.

I think people get confused sometimes between what golf shoes do and what spikes do. To me, there is a whole lot more to a golf shoe than just the spikes. The stability, the areas they are padded, etc... In the last 2-3 years there has been so much technology going into shoes it is crazy.

I only really notice the spikes on my shoes when I am walking on wet grass or trying to take a shot on a sloped surface.

If you asked Jim McMahon, he'd tell you to play barefoot, you know...Neanderthal style.

Ask almost anyone else, especially those that walk the course, they mean as much as the clubs in your bag and the brain between your ears.

Golf shoes are great. I have 3 pairs soon to be 4 :clapp: But I have 2 pairs of Adidas shoes that feel like you're walking on air, they are sooo comfy!!

Since I've been wearing capris/skorts to golf lately with golf shoes, I do have no-show socks, BUT my feet are whiter than the rest of my legs that are super tan :crying: Maybe I can try golfing barefoot hee hee hee

giggle-animated-animation-giggle-smiley-emoticon-000389-large.gif

I think people get confused sometimes between what golf shoes do and what spikes do. To me, there is a whole lot more to a golf shoe than just the spikes. The stability, the areas they are padded, etc... In the last 2-3 years there has been so much technology going into shoes it is crazy.

JB this is so true. I know you have tried the Adidas 4.0 and that's why I said I truly think they help me with balance better and I seem to make more solid contact with them. The higher dollar shoes are more comfortable but where they truly shine is stability and lateral movement which helps with balance and keeping your swing on plane. I without question believe 100 percent that having a pair of well fitting shoes that offers great stability and traction will help you hit the ball more solid and pick up a little bit of clubhead speed. Granted you still have to swing the club properly but its alot easier when you aren't about to fall down after impact. Just my opinion of course.

so at what price point do diminishing returns begin? It makes perfect sense that a shoe can improve your game. I'm just curious how much you need to spend to obtain that? My current shoes were around $60 and i HATE them.

It really depends on the person. Money to me, does not by quality in all cases. It can by better materials, craftsmanship, etc... but not always just better comfort. Trying shoes on and finding the perfect pair for a person is what works best.

I think comfort is why you see Freddy Couples in his awesome ECCO shoes with no socks.

Setho -- I ordered my Ecco's prior to our Southeastern outing and find out they are: Back Ordered :angry: item expected to ship on Aug 17 2010

golf shoes are a must, go to Sports Authority or Dicks or whereever and try a bunch on till you find something comfortable, thats the key for almost everyone. once you find the pair you like you can go online and get a better price. most places allow free returns as long as they arent messed up. I needed a wide shoe and went with an Nike Air on Sports Auth. website for $49.99 they were lasts years model but who cares and who knows but you. good luck

i have 7 pairs of golf shoes, from 6 years old to 1 day old. I like buying last year's model at a discount. I just bought my second pair of Puma's yeaterday for $75 and they were $150ish new. I do like the stabliliy of an actual golf shoe. Maybe it's mental, but I can't even go to the driving range without golf shoes.

Jim McMahon golfs shoeless.

Back