For all you guys that switch a lot?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys I have a question for the constant ponderers or club switchers, what drives you to do it? and what do you think the repercussions or benefits are?

I have had the itch for a while to change some things in my bag and man it's hard to do, I'm a creature of habit in a serious way. I see the testers change gear for reviews pretty often and having that mental flexibility is staggering to me.

I like new things.
I believe in technology (and see it with my own eyes)
I like shiny objects
Golf equipment is fun

I switch throughout the season between two or three sets I already own and have already played (so am already used to). No way at this point in my life could I do what the THP testers do.

Other than the putter, my bag stay pretty consistent for a couple of years. When I do start making changes, I typically go all out and change everything. I am committing to keeping each putter in the bag for a minimum of a month instead of just picking the one I want to roll that day. Baby steps for me and putters!

Last edited:
Changes typically happen for me if I win something or am trying to solve a problem.

I used to do it because I was always looking for the best clubs for my game. I also like shiny and new. There have probably been more negstives than positives when I look back. I've often struggled after getting new clubs while I try to adjust to the different feel you have with new gear. It seemed like just when I was getting settled in I would see something else and make the change. What ive noticed this year is that my game improved the less I changed. I'm really dialed in with my irons now and have notjing but confidence when standing over the ball. Tne same with my woods and hybrid.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Trout I was like you for a long time. I don't switch as often as many here. But I found that clubs can come and go, my swing is the same. A couple things that held me back were fear, fear that I had spent money of gear that may or may not been the right fit. Which until I came here I thought fittings were for the "good golfers".

Fear of throwing good money after bad and getting into a vicious cycle of chasing a game instead of grinding it with what I had in the bag.

But as I started to sable with equipment I became more knowledgable thank to THP, it also helps that I got it kicked off by the grandaddy 2 years ago. Complete bag swap and fitting thanks to that experience. Since then I do t have any fears of pulling equipment at anytime. Not to mention all this ha a opened my eyes to just how many great opportunities for equipment are out there. It's actually empowering knowing that there are so many quality options out there.

I like new things.
I like shiny objects
Golf equipment is fun

This really sums it up for me also, I have seen some very positive changes and then some that were just a waste of money. Luckily with EBAY out there I normally break even or maybe a small lose, that I write off as the pleasure of trying something new.

But I am vowing (New Year's resolution type thing) to let go of the ego nonsense and move towards more sensible clubs for my game. This has proven to be the hardest part for me. I still want to try the APEX MB or Srixon Z945 and what I really need is the Big Bertha's or Z545, maybe this year....

Opportunity is what drives me to change.

In all honesty, that has been THP events and (for me) the equipment I've been provided with for various events.

I can finally...and honestly say....that I'm 100% happy with the bag I have now and am not expecting changes over the next year.

Been awhile (I'm extremely fortunate) since I could say that.

A lot of it starts with curiosity and is also fun. I like experimenting and finding out what works and what works well. There have been a few times I regretted getting rid of a club in favor of another, but many times the changes I make are positive and accommodate how my game is at that point.

It's taken a while, but I'm content with many clubs in my bag right now and unless I see a dramatic improvement over the course over several different sessions, they probably won't be going any where.

Opportunity is what drives me to change.

In all honesty, that has been THP events and (for me) the equipment I've been provided with for various events.

I can finally...and honestly say....that I'm 100% happy with the bag I have now and am not expecting changes over the next year.

Been awhile (I'm extremely fortunate) since I could say that.

#TheGrandaddy has a way of doing that. Man that was fun.

I like new things.
I like shiny objects
Golf equipment is fun

i agree with this. I could probably play better but my "tinkering" is part of my enjoyment of the game.

I don't know why. LOL The only thing I can come up with is that there is something that I am just not happy with at the moment and feel there might be something better out there for me at the point in time. I have started gravitating towards equipment that is a little more "helpful" so to speak as I am not trying to be a hero anymore and only want to impress myself out there.

I will agree with JB, though, golf equipment IS fun and the tech just keeps getting better. Makes it very hard not to wonder if there isn't something better, constantly.

I like shiny.

I love the advances of golf clubs.

In the end, I know that no matter what I use, its still golf.

I like new things.
I like shiny objects
Golf equipment is fun

Pretty much this.

Even though I'm not very good, far from a scratch player, I still love golf. That's why I'm on a golf forum talking about it and that's why I end up buying shiny new clubs. Golf equipment is something I enjoy 'collecting', looking at and just in general having around.

Being new to golf this year I've made more than a few changes in my bag. My irons were first as I had a set that was given to me over 10 years ago. I recently added two new hybrids that I'm completely satisfied with, so those will be staying until I think they are holding me back. Driver is were I have struggled the most. Even after a handful of lessons, it's still the hardest club for me to hit consistently. I'm on my third driver in 6 months and have finally found one that feels comfortable so will be sticking with it until I feel it's holding me back.

I would love to try out the new Taylormade RSi irons but they are out of my price range at the moment and I'm still mastering my current ones so I don't see how new ones would benefit me.

I like new things. I like to try new stuff out. Technology and advancements these companies are making are outstanding. Do I expect any new shiny club to fix my swing? Not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even have a complete bag yet and I'm already pondering changes.

This is a sickness.

I enjoy tinkering with grips, lie angles, loft, etc and swapping out shafts on my woods. Plus I haven't had a three wood I loved since George W. Bush's first term so the search continues.

Also I figure it beats a heroin addiction.

Shiny new things... that's half the fun isn't it?

I switch to keep Callaway in Business:banana:

Hey guys I have a question for the constant ponderers or club switchers, what drives you to do it? and what do you think the repercussions or benefits are?

I have had the itch for a while to change some things in my bag and man it's hard to do, I'm a creature of habit in a serious way. I see the testers change gear for reviews pretty often and having that mental flexibility is staggering to me.
I hear you Trout Bum. I'm super comfortable with my entire bag and the only reason I have a "newer" set of irons is that my 710CBs (along with the rest of my bag) were stolen a little over 2 years ago. The thought of changing out clubs just for fun or having more than one set to switch at will is mind boggling to me.

It definitely IS fun to demo new equipment. I have found, when A/B-ing anything new against my current set, I usually don't see any significant difference in performance though. Plus I can't justify the expense of getting something new just because it's shiny. More power to you if you can do that though! :smile:
Now if I do find a club that can't be denied, that's another story ...

Shiny new things... that's half the fun isn't it?

^^^^This, and the fact that I firmly believe that the OEMs are constantly improving their products through technological advancements in design and materials.

I don't have kids.

Back