The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I think TCU would have been the much better pick.

If the Big XII had anything other than a bass-ackwards way of (not) determining their champion, it may have been a moot point ... but chances are the playoffs would have been entirely different and OSU would have been left out. Fact of the matter is, just because you go undefeated (and in a Power 5 conference), doesn't automatically make you worthy of the playoff.
How so? They didn't win their conference

I disagree. I think TCU would have been the much better pick.

If the Big XII had anything other than a bass-ackwards way of (not) determining their champion, it may have been a moot point ... but chances are the playoffs would have been entirely different and OSU would have been left out. Fact of the matter is, just because you go undefeated (and in a Power 5 conference), doesn't automatically make you worthy of the playoff.

So how does that make it automatic for the SEC winner to go? Because everybody knows that the general public said the SEC was their own national championship and were the best in the land. The general public then of course looked like fools as all those teams got whacked.

TCU wants in. WIn their conference. Simple as that.
Every one of these teams can get in if they are so good. Win your conferene and schedule tough out of conference games.

WHo cares what it was? Remember this is the team that quit, so its not shocking that it was 39.
The margin of victory is pretty useless because frankly Alabama got roasted by OSU just as bad as Oregon in my opinion and the scores make them seem tighter.

Teams are going to lose. The playoffs are to take the guess work out. THey were absolutely a top 4 team...Then again based on the predictions in this thread, FSU, Ohio St should neither been in, in favor of more SEC west dominant squads.
You are right the Alabama game wasn't as close as the margin said, but that doesnt change the fact that the fsu defense got humiliated, and the offense wasn't much better. I don't know why it's so hard to just say fsu wasn't a championship caliber team this year. Maybe next.

TCU shared their conference with the team that beat them. With that fact in mind, Baylor got more jobbed that TCU

So how does that make it automatic for the SEC winner to go? Because everybody knows that the general public said the SEC was their own national championship and were the best in the land. The general public then of course looked like fools as all those teams got whacked.

TCU wants in. WIn their conference. Simple as that.
Every one of these teams can get in if they are so good. Win your conferene and schedule tough out of conference games.
For arguments sake, if TCU had won their conference they most likely would have booted OSU from the playoff, not FSU. By all metrics, except wins and losses, FSU was the inferior team of the lot. It showed all season, and when Oregon rolled them ... no one was surprised. So ... my point (other than the one on top of my head) is that an undefeated team doesn't automatically deserve a bid. Not sure what's so horrendously horrible about that line of thinking. If the champs of four of the power 5 conference all have one loss but very strong metrics, and one of the teams is undefeated but has worse metrics ... should the undefeated team automatically make it just because they are undefeated?

You are right the Alabama game wasn't as close as the margin said, but that doesnt change the fact that the fsu defense got humiliated, and the offense wasn't much better. I don't know why it's so hard to just say fsu wasn't a championship caliber team this year. Maybe next.

Huh? Where did I say that? Or not say that? FWIW, I never thought they were. Im not a FSU fan, despite going there.
I said they belonged in the playoffs. WHich they absolutely did.

I know some have a hard time discussing things objectively in this thread, but I dont. I have no blinders on that think FSUs great, or good or anything of the sort and have stated so multiple times throughout. I get that does not happen for some schools, but I would say just about every FSU fan and Ohio St fan has seen it all in this thread this year.

For arguments sake, if TCU had won their conference they most likely would have booted OSU from the playoff, not FSU. By all metrics, except wins and losses, FSU was the inferior team of the lot. It showed all season, and when Oregon rolled them ... no one was surprised. So ... my point (other than the one on top of my head) is that an undefeated team doesn't automatically deserve a bid. Not sure what's so horrendously horrible about that line of thinking. If the champs of four of the power 5 conference all have one loss but very strong SOS's, and one of the teams is undefeated but has a crap SOS ... should the undefeated team automatically make it just because they are undefeated?

Never said so. I said FSU belonged in.
You said TCU did.
They did not win their conference. They absolutely did not belong in the top 4 without doing so.
Its very easy, win your conference, and play tough SOS (by name). Then a team can complain.
Dont win your conference, you have nothing to complain about.

College football is a hugely flawed sport because of how schedules are set. People have to live with the outcomes because of it.

I'm thinking my Vols shock the world in Atlanta next year and win the SEC with 2 losses. that will keep the SEC out of the playoff and make a bunch of people happy. :alien:

ok ok, maybe in 2016 :angel:

College football is a hugely flawed sport because of the voters.

Part of it.
How about the fact that teams set their own schedule?
Show me another sport that has that little gem and is considered on the up and up and a powerful field of events.
But fans would rather see their team go 71-0 against Bumfuq Tech JV team than have to deal with the idea that they lost a game or two.

I hope OSU beats Va Tech by 80 next year

Part of it.
How about the fact that teams set their own schedule?
Show me another sport that has that little gem and is considered on the up and up and a powerful field of events.
But fans would rather see their team go 71-0 against Bumfuq Tech JV team than have to deal with the idea that they lost a game or two.
True.

Honestly, I don't envision NCAA football being the same beast it is now, in a decade or so. Honestly, quit the charade, call the players state employees, pay them, give them benefits, and serve as the minor leagues the NFL wants but doesn't want to do themselves. Schools that can't afford it, get out of the business.

Huh? Where did I say that? Or not say that? FWIW, I never thought they were. Im not a FSU fan, despite going there.
I said they belonged in the playoffs. WHich they absolutely did.

I know some have a hard time discussing things objectively in this thread, but I dont. I have no blinders on that think FSUs great, or good or anything of the sort and have stated so multiple times throughout. I get that does not happen for some schools, but I would say just about every FSU fan and Ohio St fan has seen it all in this thread this year.
That's exactly what we were arguing about. Deuce said they proved they weren't any good, you said otherwise.

Either way, Ohio state proved they were the best team in the playoff in dominating fashion, it's just to bad TCU didn't get a chance. It was definitely an exciting first playoff though.

Div II has 2 and 3 loss teams make the playoffs. a 2 loss team made the semi finals. I know it is a pipe dream but if Div I can ever get to that point the Bumfuq Tech games should go away and we will see much better games.

That's exactly what we were arguing about. Deuce said they proved they weren't any good, you said otherwise.

Either way, Ohio state proved they were the best team in the playoff in dominating fashion, it's just to bad TCU didn't get a chance. It was definitely an exciting first playoff though.

TCU will have to learn from their mistakes and schedule a more challenging non conference schedule. If they want to play with the big boys, they will and I have no doubt they and Baylor will make the necessary changes.

giphy.gif

Well that made it easy.
Congrats again to my OSU brothers. I know its been a long haul and despite half the people here saying you should not have even been in the playoffs, I was glad to see my bet paid off. Enjoy the title for the year.

I still can't wrap my head around the tcu argument.

Like blu said if anyone had a gripe it would be Baylor .

The committee just went about it in a terrible way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Well that made it easy.
Congrats again to my OSU brothers. I know its been a long haul and despite half the people here saying you should not have even been in the playoffs, I was glad to see my bet paid off. Enjoy the title for the year.

Your Judge Judy obsession is unhealthy. HAHA

TCU will have to learn from their mistakes and schedule a more challenging non conference schedule. If they want to play with the big boys, they will and I have no doubt they and Baylor will make the necessary changes.
They at least are only through 2015 as far as scheduling, freaking OSU is out to like 2019 lol

2015 TCU Horned Frogs Football Schedule
DateOpponentTime/TVTickets
Thursday
Sept. 3
at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 12
stephen-f-austin1.gif
Stephen F. Austin Jacks
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 19
SMU Mustangs
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 26
at Texas Tech Red Raiders
Jones AT&T Stadium, Lubbock, TX
TBA---

Saturday
Sept. 3
south-dakota-st1.gif
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 10
---TBA------
Saturday
Sept. 17
---TBA------
Saturday
Sept. 24
at SMU Mustangs
Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas, TX
TBA---

They at least are only through 2015 as far as scheduling, freaking OSU is out to like 2019 lol

2015 TCU Horned Frogs Football Schedule
Thursday
Sept. 3
at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 12
stephen-f-austin1.gif
Stephen F. Austin Jacks
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 19
SMU Mustangs
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 26
at Texas Tech Red Raiders
Jones AT&T Stadium, Lubbock, TX
TBA---

Saturday
Sept. 3
south-dakota-st1.gif
South Dakota State Jackrabbits
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 10
---TBA------
Saturday
Sept. 17
---TBA------
Saturday
Sept. 24
at SMU Mustangs
TBA---

All I can say is oooof

TCU's non conference schedule has nothing to do with it. What screwed TCU was the lack of a Big XII Championship game. Baylor was not the better team, for reasons I already pointed out (primarily, their loss to West Virginia, their bowl loss not-withstanding).

Hopefully that gets corrected next year.

In fairness to the FSU Defense, when your offense turns the ball over 5 times you are going to be placed in some bad situations.

The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Well cardale coming back for sure.

Good stuff.

Edit: might have jumped the gun he said he hadn't decided but he's not ready for that type of level??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can say is oooof

Hey, its no Baylor (they need to snag someone decent in that open spot)

[h=1]2015 Baylor Bears Football Schedule[/h]
Date OpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Sept. 5
at SMU Mustangs
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 12
lamar1.gif
Lamar Cardinals
McLane Stadium, Waco, TX