What's it Going to Take?

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
it wasn't until the end of last summer that i consistently started scoring rounds in the upper 70's. it was a major milestone for me and my golf game and something that i have worked towards since really getting into golf about 6 years ago. once i finally broke 80 it seemed like i could/would shoot in the 70's every 4 out of 5 rounds. i feel as though my ball striking is better than it's ever been and i now have confidence in a driver that i've never had before.

i was reading a post about having lessons and JB mentioned that it wasn't until he had a lesson that he really started to score. i think that's a lot of my problem. i can hit fwys and i can hit greens but i just can't score. i don't have the budget for lessons right now but i am also ready to start moving my scores consistently into the mid-lower 70's. my last 5 rounds have been: 79,76,77,77,79. i'm pleased with that don't get me wrong but i'm capable of going lower.

i was reflecting on my round yesterday where i hit 11/14 fwys and 11 or 12 greens, yet i managed only 3 birdies. my first thoughts are that i need to work on my putting, which believe me, i have. so i guess my next thought would be that i'm not using the best putter for me. how important is a putter fitting? what would you do if you were limited in the amount of putters/brands you could demo? what can i be doing to help myself take my scores to the mid-low 70's?

Could it also be that despite hitting greens, you are not really hitting them in the scoring zone? And if you got 3 birdies, that is still fairly strong, so before you look at the scoring, look at the holes that did not fare well. Was it course management?

Could it also be that despite hitting greens, you are not really hitting them in the scoring zone? And if you got 3 birdies, that is still fairly strong, so before you look at the scoring, look at the holes that did not fare well. Was it course management?

for yesterday's round, yes it was. i absolutely butchered 2 of the par 5's b/c i was too aggressive. the funny thing is, i actually thought about the laying up to a number thread, haha. i was just hitting ball well yesterday. even in my attempts to go for it i just left myself in spots that you couldn't. it's never good when you double bogey 2 of the par 5's.

but i also know that i'm not the most confident with my current putter. i've worked on tons of speed drills that andy's recommended and i have no doubt that i'm leaving strokes on the green, which sucks.

i've only ever really had an anser style putter and i think i might want to experiment with others. i guess i need to demo, demo, demo, but that's tough due to availability around here.

for yesterday's round, yes it was. i absolutely butchered 2 of the par 5's b/c i was too aggressive. the funny thing is, i actually thought about the laying up to a number thread, haha. i was just hitting ball well yesterday. even in my attempts to go for it i just left myself in spots that you couldn't. it's never good when you double bogey 2 of the par 5's.

Its funny you mention that because I played to a number all weekend pretty much and had nothing worse than a par on any par 5s.

but i also know that i'm not the most confident with my current putter. i've worked on tons of speed drills that andy's recommended and i have no doubt that i'm leaving strokes on the green, which sucks.

i've only ever really had an anser style putter and i think i might want to experiment with others. i guess i need to demo, demo, demo, but that's tough due to availability around here.

I still go back to approach shots being the answer for me usually missing putts. I can hit a lot of greens in regulation, but if I am 25 feet on average, then it does not lead to too much scoring for me.

thanks JB. i'll make a vow to play to a number on all 5's next time i'm out. perhaps that's the biggest difference. my proximity to the hole is not something that i really look hard enough at either. if i can, i'll go at a pin but for the most part i aim for the middle of the green

thanks JB. i'll make a vow to play to a number on all 5's next time i'm out. perhaps that's the biggest difference. my proximity to the hole is not something that i really look hard enough at either. if i can, i'll go at a pin but for the most part i aim for the middle of the green

That was something that I really took for granted a lot up until this last year. I would always go pin hunting rather than try and find a good spot.

This is a great discussion. I shot a 79 back in December and have scored in the low 80's for the past few months but haven't broken 80 this year. TC, what did it take for you to consistently get in the high 70's and break the 80's barrier?

This is a great discussion. I shot a 79 back in December and have scored in the low 80's for the past few months but haven't broken 80 this year. TC, what did it take for you to consistently get in the high 70's and break the 80's barrier?

short game, 50 yards and in. i now think that if i've missed a gir that i'm ok. my wedges are my best friends on the golf course. i worked hard on hitting all types of shots. i'm not counfound to one club for greenside shots anymore and that's made the biggest difference.

short game, 50 yards and in. i now think that if i've missed a gir that i'm ok. my wedges are my best friends on the golf course. i worked hard on hitting all types of shots. i'm not counfound to one club for greenside shots anymore and that's made the biggest difference.

Maybe at the outing my wedges can talk with your wedges cause mine hate me. Maybe cause I keep wanting to wrap them around a tree. Hmmmmm could be!!!

From what I gather from the discussion is its all about fairways and greens of course. I was chatting with Andy that my weakness is I need to be more accurate in the 110 to 90 yd range. He said take a PW instead of a Gap and swing nice and easy. JB playing the par 5's to a number is a great strategy instead always trying to go for it. My issue is I go for broke and then duff the shot leaving me in bad position.

Also, I heard Haney last night telling Romano. If you want to break 80 there are a few things. No wasted shots, no penalty strokes, no three putts, no double chips.

Great stuff TC and JB.

JB is right about the scoring zone. Picture a large green, if you are looking at a 40' putt and trying to two putt, how is that going to work out? In that case your almost better to be off the green and chipping.

TC: Out of those 11 greens you hit, how many were 3 putts? How were your up and downs as well?

From what I gather from the discussion is its all about fairways and greens of course. I was chatting with Andy that my weakness is I need to be more accurate in the 110 to 90 yd range. He said take a PW instead of a Gap and swing nice and easy. JB playing the par 5's to a number is a great strategy instead always trying to go for it. My issue is I go for broke and then duff the shot leaving me in bad position.

Also, I heard Haney last night telling Romano. If you want to break 80 there are a few things. No wasted shots, no penalty strokes, no three putts, no double chips.

Great stuff TC and JB.

Because I am not long off the tee, many times I do not have a chance at a lot of birdies. its harder hitting 6 iron in than wedge. But I rarely get a penalty stroke even on our water covered FL courses. Playing to a number has really meant for me more birdies because I work hard on my wedge game and usually try to be within 8 feet with my wedges. It has changed my game from going for it.

I even laid up on a long par 4 this weekend to the 85 yard marker. Hit my wedge within 5 feet (missed the putt by the way).

Course management has changed the way I play golf and my scores have started to come down.

JB is right about the scoring zone. Picture a large green, if you are looking at a 40' putt and trying to two putt, how is that going to work out? In that case your almost better to be off the green and chipping.

TC: Out of those 11 greens you hit, how many were 3 putts? How were your up and downs as well?

3 3 putts dent. got up and down 4 times. the saddest part, all 3 3 putts were from inside 30 feet, ugh!

3 3 putts dent. got up and down 4 times. the saddest part, all 3 3 putts were from inside 30 feet, ugh!

That is a bit of an issue right there, an easy example if you had 2 putted all of those you would have saved 3 strokes right there, throw in the odd 30' one putt and you have 4 strokes saved. I'm sure you count your total number of putts at the end of the round. If you are putting mid-high 30's in a 70's round, there is a problem.

That is a bit of an issue right there, an easy example if you had 2 putted all of those you would have saved 3 strokes right there, throw in the odd 30' one putt and you have 4 strokes saved. I'm sure you count your total number of putts at the end of the round. If you are putting mid-high 30's in a 70's round, there is a problem.

What is that? I don't think I have had one of those this year! Putting is usually my downfall also. Any coincidence that my lowest scores are the same rounds when I make the most putts? Nope none at all. Over 2 rounds on the weekend I had 37 putts and 39 putts (YUCK)

I understand exactly where you are coming from in all of this TC. I shoot upper 70's, lower 80's consistently and I have a terrible short game. I try to work on it, but all of the practice I put in on the chipping greens never seems to translate. Unfortunately, I should have a ton of chances at birdie, as I am never more than an 8 iron out from the green on my approach shot at my home course, other than on one par 5 which needs a full 3 wood after my drive. I see no reason why I shouldn't be playing par / birdie golf, but I guess that's just the way this game is.

i know man. i only had 31 putts yesterday, which is ok. i think i need to be around 27-29 putts per round on avg to get close to where i want to be. throwing away four strokes on two par 5's is probably what killed my round yesterday.

i still have to ask the question: how important is finding the right putter? what would you recommend as far as demo'ing putters when they aren't really available to you? (these questions aren't directly aimed at dent)

i know man. i only had 31 putts yesterday, which is ok. i think i need to be around 27-29 putts per round on avg to get close to where i want to be. throwing away four strokes on two par 5's is probably what killed my round yesterday.

i still have to ask the question: how important is finding the right putter? what would you recommend as far as demo'ing putters when they aren't really available to you? (these questions aren't directly aimed at dent)

While I'm nowhere near the 70s, are you sure it's the putter? If it's taking you 3 putts from 30' occasionally, and you rarely sink a 30 footer, perhaps your green reading abilities need to be homed in on? Or do you definitely know that you are pushing or pulling those longer putts? Or missing the 4 footer?

As far as demoing, I tried about 30-40 putters before I settled on mine, and I wouldn't have guessed in a million years it would be the one that worked for me. My local shop has probably a selection of about 100 putters though, all different, from almost all of the major companies.

You know my feelings on putters. I would say that buying a putter you absolutely love and feel confidant over will cause you to hit putts you would normally miss. You should come down next weekend for a few rounds and we can go to the PGA Store.

TC, you had 31 putts with three three putts? Something is not adding up for me. Your goal of 27-29 putts in a round is tough. Those are good numbers on tour I would think. Last year I shot two handfuls of scores under 76. On those days I usually had 30-31 putts. I don't think I ever got under 30. I shoot a lot of scores from 78 to 81, and those days I usually have 34 to 37 putts. In general I putt like crap, but I hit a lot of greens.

One thing is for sure, to shoot 76 or better, you can rarely double bogey a hole, especially a par five. And you really can't three putt or take penalty strokes, unless you're also making a bunch of birdies. If you're hitting 11-12 greens you're very close. Keep hitting greens and making pars. Make a crapload of pars by hitting greens and eventually some birdies will fall. And when you don't hit greens you need to be able to get up and down more than half the time. That means when you miss a green you need to not miss it by much. Most good amateur players are not making more than two or three birdies, but they make a lot of pars. Birdies don't come easy for the man on the street, mainly because they don't putt well enough.

Kevin

You know my feelings on putters. I would say that buying a putter you absolutely love and feel confidant over will cause you to hit putts you would normally miss. You should come down next weekend for a few rounds and we can go to the PGA Store.

i definitely don't have as much confidence in my current flatstick as i need to be even a good putter. i have a pretty good ability in reading greens but just struggle with my speed way to much. i might have to come for a visit in order to hit up the pgass.

I agree with Esox. i dont think it is your putting. I think you want it to be your putting. I think it all comes down to course management. You put 2 7's on the scorecard. That is the difference between getting where you want to be and where you are.

TC, you had 31 putts with three three putts? Something is not adding up for me. Your goal of 27-29 putts in a round is tough. Those are good numbers on tour I would think. Last year I shot two handfuls of scores under 76. On those days I usually had 30-31 putts. I don't think I ever got under 30. I shoot a lot of scores from 78 to 81, and those days I usually have 34 to 37 putts. In general I putt like crap, but I hit a lot of greens.

One thing is for sure, to shoot 76 or better, you can rarely double bogey a hole, especially a par five. And you really can't three putt or take penalty strokes, unless you're also making a bunch of birdies. If you're hitting 11-12 greens you're very close. Keep hitting greens and making pars. Make a crapload of pars by hitting greens and eventually some birdies will fall. And when you don't hit greens you need to be able to get up and down more than half the time. That means when you miss a green you need to not miss it by much. Most good amateur players are not making more than two or three birdies, but they make a lot of pars. Birdies don't come easy for the man on the street, mainly because they don't putt well enough.

Kevin

well, 3 3 putts, 3 birdies (1 of which was putting from the fringe, so technically/statistically it was a 0 putt) for 2 putts, i one putted 4 other greens and 2 putted 8 of them, that's 18 holes w/31 putts.

i would agree with you completely about not butchering the par 5's. had i just par'd the two that i doubled i would have shot a 75. i need to stop trying to be so brave on the 5's, but it's hard if i'm within 225 or so, i feel like i should have a go at them, but it's just not helping my score. time to check the ego at the door i suppose.

edit: just read your post JB, and i think that's a lot of it too. i think i'm looking to blame something other than my bad decisions.

On the course, get in your mind that you want to make 18 pars. Hit the fairway, hit the green in regulation, and two putt. Let the birdies come naturally. The more confident you get by hitting greens, the closer you'll hit the ball to the pin. Don't wail away on approach shots, either. Hit your irons smoothly. If you can hit a wedge 140 or 150 yards, it doesn't mean you have to. Several years ago I started to lose some distance due to age and weight gain. I throttled back on approach shots and started hitting one more club, concentrating on controlling trajectory and spin. I rarely ever hit an iron shot hard anymore, and when it starts to come, it really comes. I never think about my swing, I just smoothly swing through the ball and there are some days I start feeling like every short iron I hit is going right at the target. I've scored as well as I did in my 20s during this period, and that was 20-29 years ago.

That being said, I've been struggling, and it was because I was fighting early season wind and mud, and was trying to hit the ball too hard and trying to manipulate it too much. My last two rounds I have been deadly with irons. But I can't putt.

Just smooth that thing in to the "scoring zone" on the green, and you'll drop a few shots off those 78s and 79s pretty easily. Another thing I do when I'm scoring well is pick a very specific target. This is incredibly helpful off the tee. I like to pick an elevated target. A specific branch, a chimney on a house, etc. It has made me much more accurate off the tee. That's a Rotella tip, and it works wonders.

Kevin

Back