The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

poor Rory, do we need to start a go-fund me account for him

I mean it's only more money than he's won on the PGA Tour in his entire career.

LOL at $25 million not being that much.

Depends on how you look at it, it's roughly 20% of his Nike contract. I believe his old deal had him giving 5% of winnings and 20% of sponsorship money to Horizon. Seems that now he's off the hook for the 5% of winnings and still pays on the sponsorship money from Nike.

Thats potentially a QUARTER of his entire Nike deal over the next 10 years. I dont care who you are, take away a quarter of your potential earnings and I'm sure its quite a big deal.

Jeebus. How much do you think Rory is worth?

Ha, I mean maybe it's a slight exaggeration, but after everything's over I think he's going to be just fine.

Thats potentially a QUARTER of his entire Nike deal over the next 10 years. I dont care who you are, take away a quarter of your potential earnings and I'm sure its quite a big deal.

It was clearly determined he owed them the money, so it's really not potential earnings if he owed his old company that much. Plus, if I'm still walking away with 75 million from that deal I'm sure I would get over it.

Wow. That is actually a ton of money Rory has to give up. Kyle just showed that it's pretty much a years salary gone.

I don't really feel bad for Rory though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's kinda what he gets for trying to get more money in the first place when he didn't really need it.

Wow. That is actually a ton of money Rory has to give up. Kyle just showed that it's pretty much a years salary gone.

I don't really feel bad for Rory though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's kinda what he gets for trying to get more money in the first place when he didn't really need it.

False. Pro golfers don't make very much of their money golfing. Look at Tiger's average winnings on tour, and then look at his annual income. Not even close. If you consider winning a tournament gets you just north of $1mill, and Tiger at his peak was pulling almost $100 million a year, he would have to win 100 tournaments to get that $$$...their golf winnings are chump change to their advertising/equipment contracts.

LOL. Ok, so if it's a full year or a 1/4 year or 1/4 of his Nike contract.

Giving up $25 million would suck. It's a ton of money no matter how you try to spin it.

Whether it was deserved I have no clue. If so, what's fair is fair.

The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

I think by salary he meant winnings plus endorsements. The winnings basically help with income tax at the way these bigger players get paid.

False. Pro golfers don't make very much of their money golfing. Look at Tiger's average winnings on tour, and then look at his annual income. Not even close. If you consider winning a tournament gets you just north of $1mill, and Tiger at his peak was pulling almost $100 million a year, he would have to win 100 tournaments to get that $$$...their golf winnings are chump change to their advertising/equipment contracts.
http://www.forbes.com/profile/rory-mcilroy/
McIlroy had a turbulent 2013 as he adjusted to playing with new clubs after signing his blockbuster deal with Nike, which is worth more than $10 million annually. Expectations were also elevated after he became the second youngest player with the world No. 1 ranking when he reached the perch in 2012. McIlroy was embroiled in a lawsuit with prior sponsor Oakley, who says it owned the first right of refusal to match the sunglasses portion of his Nike deal, but the parties settled the suit at the end of 2013. Terms were not released.
  • Earnings
  • $24.3 Million
  • As of June 2014 Follow (5)

• PGA
Age25 Source Of Wealth Golf Salary/Winnings $4.3 M Endorsements $20 M CitizenshipUnited Kingdom Marital StatusSingle

a HUGE LOL if there is anyone in here that actually feels sorry for him

I just feel bad he can't get a suntan. Other than that, he's sons me in every way.

a HUGE LOL if there is anyone in here that actually feels sorry for him
You got that right, he was so much of his future ahead of him, golfing or endorsing he has a ton of earning power left!

There are very few people in this world that $25mill is a small amount of money.

17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg

Rory has committed to playing at Bay Hill. It will be fun to see him at 3 out of the 4 Florida tournaments (Honda, Doral, Bay Hill) prior to the Masters.

Maybe Rory just didn't phrase it right, but I found it odd how he said it's hard to find new motivations (in response to a reporter asking him about being at #1 for a year)

Back