Internet Distances and Why THP is Great

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
When I'm considering new (used) clubs - which is often - I tend to research the h*ll out of them. I start at THP, check out the forum posts, and see if I can garner as much relevant-to-me info as possible. If you do it enough, and even if you've never played with most of the guys and gals on here, you start to get a sense of how people hit the ball. For example, if Canadan or Panda claim a club is unforgiving, you know that club is nearly unplayable for us mere mortals. Or if JMan offers his thoughts, you trust it because he's played with, and studied more clubs than you could in a lifetime.

Even better, I've found that almost all THPers are truthful in how they hit the ball - whether it be distance, accuracy, etc. Sure there are honeymoon periods and "this is the best club I've ever hit!" statements but those posts are not as prevalent as you would think. Most importantly, THPers, that I can tell, are not inflating their games because they're behind a keyboard. In other words, there are very few "internet golfers" on these forums.

Contrast with other golf sites (one ending in an "x" comes to mind) where the internet golfer thrives. For example, I was researching wedges this morning. I read several posts on a different site where several guys claimed they hit their 54* wedge 140-150 yards and their 58* wedge 115-120. Ohhhhh-kayyyy. Or the classic: "I carry my 3-wood off the deck about 260." Sure. Sure you do. And once I read posts like that, I can't believe anything you say about the club otherwise.

So thank you, THP members. These forums have been more than helpful. Further, it warms my cynical heart that people can actually be honest about their game and their experiences with the clubs they've tried.

- Dr. RosenRosen, I mean Dr. Rosenpenis. Dr. Rosen. Do you have that file?

That is why these THP outings are the great equalizer. Makes it hard to come on here and say one thing when others can see you play and do the other. A lot of truth is spoken here (reviews and feedback) which is great.

That is why these THP outings are the great equalizer. Makes it hard to come on here and say one thing when others can see you play and do the other. A lot of truth is spoken here (reviews and feedback) which is great.

Was the goal from day one. Bring people together for multiple reasons.
1. Hard not to want to at least try and attend the amazingness that happens.
2. Makes it hard to not want to tell the truth.
3. It makes it hard to not be a jerk to someone when you will want to play with them later.
#OutingApproved

Yep, I think this is the main thing. The only way to be an internet golfer here is to never go to a THP outing (official or unofficial) because you're going to get called out on your BS.

I agree with Dr.RosenRosen, after reading reviews/etc from those very (and a few others) people he mentions I know I can trust that my list of whatever just got shortened with some trustworthy facts. It sure makes life easier for a rookie like me to know where to turn for good reliable info.

Yep, I think this is the main thing. The only way to be an internet golfer here is to never go to a THP outing (official or unofficial) because you're going to get called out on your BS.

THP events aren't about calling people out on anything.

I know a couple guys who can hit a 58* intentionally and accurately 120 yards. It's an impossible yet awesome thing to watch. Adversely, I know a LOT of guys who can hit their 58* wedge about 150. Whether they were aiming for a 80 yard flag is irrelevant!

This isn't just a corner of the internet, it's a thriving community. THP rocks.

I know a couple guys who can hit a 58* intentionally and accurately 120 yards. It's an impossible yet awesome thing to watch. Adversely, I know a LOT of guys who can hit their 58* wedge about 150. Whether they were aiming for a 80 yard flag is irrelevant!

Especially on a par 3 course in the dark. :alien:

Thank goodness. If that happened to me, I would take my ball and go home!

I've been to a few official and unofficial THP events and I have NEVER heard anyone called out on BS. It just doesn't happen. Lots of respect for each other here at THP and I think that is one of the most positive things about this forum.

People will tell their kids the tale of Jman's 58* wedge game.

I initially found THP because of the reviews and like you, I research the hell out of something before I spend my hard earned dollars. Whats really fun about playing with THPers is not only do you realize that they are legit, honest Internet Golfers, but they are also really cool people.

Biggest thing I notice about THP in comparison to a lot of internet forums is how welcoming everyone is. It doesn't matter if you've been here for 6 years or 6 weeks, chances are you know some members here by their first name and feel as if you've been around longer than you have. Just because you haven't been to an event or post multiple times per day, doesn't mean you feel left out.

Everyone here has one very strong, common interest (or multiple if you check out the non-golf related threads) and it's the passion that units us all and brought all or at least most of us here to begin with.

Thank goodness. If that happened to me, I would take my ball and go home!

We had that happen exactly one time and that person was sent packing. That is not what THP is about.

THP was the first golf forum I clicked on a couple years ago when I wanted to read reviews about Cobra amp irons before I purchased them.... lucky for me.

I have never so much as looked for or looked at any other golf forum. No need to. And after being on THP for awhile I started to realize that most of the people on here with experience on other sites had sworn them all off for THP.

Last edited:
I know a couple guys who can hit a 58* intentionally and accurately 120 yards.

There's nothing worse than when you hit a wedge and you immediately know you hammered it way too far.

Well the way I see it is my game is what it is, every golfer has a bad day and you can usually tell if play a round with someone. I've struggled to improve on my game since the beginning and I have succeed to play at a level that I feel both good and proud for my age that I enjoy being there, good , bad or ugly. Well ugly I can't help.

The people here have been nothing short of awesome at every event I've been able to go to, is everyone for everybody? No, but it never matters and there's always a good story, a tale of good deeds, or an amazing shot that happens and the excitement is shared and transferred to all of us.

Whether a 2 handicap shooting 90 or a 20 handicap shooting a 79 the majority of folks here are honest and supportive.

I've been to a few official and unofficial THP events and I have NEVER heard anyone called out on BS. It just doesn't happen. Lots of respect for each other here at THP and I think that is one of the most positive things about this forum.
Actually, the first time we played I sort of did call you out when you said you were 4-0 playing heads up against Freddie. :D

No, it doesn't happen and that's why the site is different.

There's nothing worse than when you hit a wedge and you immediately know you hammered it way too far.

This happens to me way late in the shot. I'm still stuck on the increased number of times the ball is going the direction I wanted it too! Then my depth perception kicks in and I realize I am not, in fact, putting the next shot. Chutting, perhaps.

The guys behind Meandmygolf did a par 5 challenge with a lob wedge. They bladed their way down the course and I think one of them got a par.

Actually, the first time we played I sort of did call you out when you said you were 4-0 playing heads up against Freddie. :D

No, it doesn't happen and that's why the site is different.

The part I left out was that I made Freddie play left handed with a pirate patch over his right eye. :clapp:

Canadan called me a jerk at the Morgan Cup for not bringing him poutine and said it was my job since I was a rookie and he was a staffer.

I first found that site with the x at the end. I was like umm yeah not even close to what these guys are talking about. Carrying 300 yards and so on. So I went in search of a new forum and bam here I am. Like this site so much first time I have ever spent money on a forum.

Back