You think you struggle on the course?

a 60 on the par 5 #8...what?! How is that even possible? There must have been a hazard that she just couldn't get over.
Another thing to consider is that how many of those shots were whiffs. It could easily be three or four whiffs on any given shot as well.

I say this as friend of mine is coach at a small private school in the area and his team is often filled with players who have never even played before and are just takng up the game. In their first match last week, one of his A players won by shooting a 105, the guy he beat shot somewhere around 140 including whiffing on 5 attempts of one tee shot.

I noticed one of the schools was Misericordia U. After a round like that I'd be ready to rename it Miserycordia U.

That had to be brutal to watch and/or experience. Three other girls shot over 150, so it wasn't just the one girl struggling. A 19 on a 127-yard par 3 stands out. (not by the same girl who shot the 248)

I am having a hard time believing that is legit. If by some chance it is real I'll be logging off the forum shortly to take my daughter to her first golf lesson, as ladies' scholarships apparently require little more than a pulse.

Like some have already said, the DIII women's team for golf of smaller schools could be very hard to recruit. I looked up the SUNY school that was part of this tournament because I was very curious and I found that the Men's team is larger and has very respectable scores, even tournament wins and Division stand outs. The women's team only has four women and completely opposite as far as success is concerned. The school surprisingly has a PGA pro as their coach and a world class swing analysis lab and indoor facility.

I'm skeptical. How would she have had enough balls to complete her round?? Why wouldn't she withdraw with one score being thrown out?

I am having a hard time believing that is legit. If by some chance it is real I'll be logging off the forum shortly to take my daughter to her first golf lesson, as ladies' scholarships apparently require little more than a pulse.

as stated these were DIII schools and there aren't any scholarships.

How to shoot a 60 on a par 5:

1. Land in a pot bunker
2. Take a dozen or so swings trying to get out
3. Throw your bag into the bunker in disgust
4. Kick the bag a few times

She realizes that keeping score in golf is not like keeping score in tennis, right?

hmmm.. I tend to agree on the "wiff" theory. 6 or 7 per attempt; add in 6 or 8 putts per hole... maybe they didn't have clubs and were hitting with bendy-straws or something.

Another thing to consider is that how many of those shots were whiffs. It could easily be three or four whiffs on any given shot as well.

I say this as friend of mine is coach at a small private school in the area and his team is often filled with players who have never even played before and are just takng up the game. In their first match last week, one of his A players won by shooting a 105, the guy he beat shot somewhere around 140 including whiffing on 5 attempts of one tee shot.

Good point. Forgot about those. I did play golf with a friend once who played probably 1x/year. I got him to "sweep the grass" after one hole and after explaining to him that a whiff counted as a shot, he said I probably shaved 100 shots off of his score. haha.

wonder how many putts she had for the round

I think it'd be tough to get a 60 on a hole

How do you even keep track of 60 shots? I have a hard enough time telling if it was 7 or 8. That is a model of persistence though.

Get your daughters into golf. Apparently it's easy to get a scholarship.

and now its officially time for my girls to start golfing

That is a rough day for sure.

#unbroken

While I know these girls weren't on scholarships, ladies golf really is the easiest way to get a college scholarship according to an article I read a few years ago.

I can kind of believe it based on some junior and high school scores and players I have seen. I would not think a college team would put a player in a tournament that could not play, they ring D3 they may have just found someone that had played gold at one time to field a full team. Last year at the girls high school Regional tournament the we're some scores in the 140s. Keep in mind these girls had to qualify through their high school district. Which, needless to say were not hotbeds for quality golf. My daughter got stuck behind a group of them for a few holes. Watching them, the only thing that kept the scores that low was a 9 shot max per hole. I think in their district someone score a perfect 162.

Can even happen to good players. A girl my daughter has grown up playing with had one of those holes. She usually shoots in the high 70s or low 80s, and shot a 95 the second day of a tournament. Those scores happen occasionally. What was surprising was she shot a 95 with a 21 on the last hole.

Back