The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest issue I have now is aiming and trusting my alignment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the club friend. I'm gonna start playing rounds with alignment sticks at my feet if I have another round where I blow it way off line and step back and realize I was aimed there the entire time

I'll trade you guys some over-shortened backswing for some too-long backswing. We can blend it out. I actually miss being able to get where I used to, its not a flexibility thing, its almost an, I overdid it on focusing on shortening it thing as now I really don't get completely set at the top. But, I'm working on it.

Best practice thing I have done the past 3 weeks for me, using the AW. What do I mean? Its become a go to around the greens for me, if I don't HAVE to carry it to the green up and quick, then I'm using the AW and playing a little bumper that I am getting lethal with. Its been the best thing ever for breaking me of automatically grabbing my 58*, hell, its even made me start grabbing my 54* more.

I'll trade you guys some over-shortened backswing for some too-long backswing. We can blend it out. I actually miss being able to get where I used to, its not a flexibility thing, its almost an, I overdid it on focusing on shortening it thing as now I really don't get completely set at the top. But, I'm working on it.

Best practice thing I have done the past 3 weeks for me, using the AW. What do I mean? Its become a go to around the greens for me, if I don't HAVE to carry it to the green up and quick, then I'm using the AW and playing a little bumper that I am getting lethal with. Its been the best thing ever for breaking me of automatically grabbing my 58*, hell, its even made me start grabbing my 54* more.

I started using more/different wedges this year and it's paid off with the number of chip-ins for sure, not to mention how many have been close or very close.

It may sound 'mechanical' to the 'feel' players, but I took a day to practice where I paid attention to how far each wedge went with the same motion by pacing it off. Now I can just eyeball it.

Had a good 2-hour range session last night. Generally quite happy with the results. Tempo was good, ball flight was generally straight. Made some progress on being able to hit a draw, though it's still a struggle for me. After 40 years of swinging over the top with a held-off face, my brain just says "Oh hello no" at an attempt to swing out the right. But little by little, I'm making progress.

I started using more/different wedges this year and it's paid off with the number of chip-ins for sure, not to mention how many have been close or very close.

It may sound 'mechanical' to the 'feel' players, but I took a day to practice where I paid attention to how far each wedge went with the same motion by pacing it off. Now I can just eyeball it.

Clubbing up and playing back it the stance for the win!

Full swings at the range this morning were okay throughout the bag. Mostly straight, some solid compression, but a touch too prone to be hooky and blocky for my liking.

Putting and chipping practice was good. I had let my grip slip with putter and think I got that worked out.

But good gracious, the bunker session was atrocious. Lord knows I've spent my fair share of time on the beach and I like to think I'm pretty competent there. But today I was getting a weird bounce effect which was leading to blading balls and maybe hitting the ball with the hozzle. Definitely a WTH??? experience.

Full swings at the range this morning were okay throughout the bag. Mostly straight, some solid compression, but a touch too prone to be hooky and blocky for my liking.

Putting and chipping practice was good. I had let my grip slip with putter and think I got that worked out.

But good gracious, the bunker session was atrocious. Lord knows I've spent my fair share of time on the beach and I like to think I'm pretty competent there. But today I was getting a weird bounce effect which was leading to blading balls and maybe hitting the ball with the hozzle. Definitely a WTH??? experience.

I had a similar experience yesterday. Long clubs were absolutely awesome with a few crap shots here and there, but short irons weren't as good as I'd have liked and like you said...blocky. Annoying. But with the changes I've made I'm more prone to the block, which is OK with me. Hook = death in my world.

My bunker practice showed a little bit of the same, but that was actually an improvement for me haha. Getting out decently more times than not, so I was happy.

My bunker play was a bit off for a bit there and I realized I was opening the face way too much for the distances I was looking for.

Last round I rectified that and made 2/3 sand saves.

Hit the range twice today - small bucket on the way into work, and a large on the way home. I've always run into issues when I consciously try to set my wrists, so I normally don't - I usually end up with weak fades. But my last few rounds on the course, I noticed that when I add just a smidge of hinge about halfway back, I was getting good distance. So today I set out to just figure out where and when I and should add that hinge. The small bucket started terribly, lots of thin shots and fades, but by the end I was hitting OK and my divots were small shallow ones.

The large bucket went a lot better. I mostly just used 7i-9i to work on it, then added in some 4i and 3w off the deck. Driver was just bad, so I went back to my usual swing and things straightened out immediately. But irons were decent, I'd say by the end 2 of 3 were good and the bad ones were just a bit lower and shorter, but nothing to the left or right badly. Still needs a lot of work though before I'd trust it on the course.

You're really just going to have to focus solely on that. I will say that where I struggled was tempo. You've built a swing that begins and ends at certain points and now you're going to have to change that internal clock. In my case, my brain just said, "you're not done with your backswing yet".

I know you're not looking for things to cloud your mind, but here are some things that helped me that shouldn't cause you any harm.

-Stopping swing with hands chest high (they won't be chest high as you know). If that doesn't work. End it at hip high - or feel like you are. Again though, this will mean you need to work on timing and trust that you'll hit the ball the same distance. You will.
-Feeling like the shaft is pointing at the sky at the top of my backswing.
-Like you mentioned, a straighter right arm feeling going back.
-Early wrist set. I want my set done and out of the way by hip-high. Ideally, feeling that my arms are both straight. Hip high being beween rib cage and waist of your pants somwhere. It's really important that I don't add more wrist set at the top.

For all the crap I talk about my golf swing, this is one change I made succesfully that a couple instructors actually complimented me on. Stick with it, develop that tempo and just trust it.

Finally had time to come and reply to this post. I think that all of the things that you posted will help me, with the exception of the last one. I used to have an early wrist set in my swing, and I feel like setting the wrists would also make me bend the right elbow, which completely goes against trying to keep the right arm straight. Glad to know that someone is fighting the same issues as me, and has made positive changes on it.

Spent the morning working on my putting, getting the stroke to be consistent and getting away from the inside out stroke.

Worked from several distances and really focused on making a good stroke no matter the difference.

3417d31fe070e5df55ef7a489d9fc2f7.jpg

Had my usual range session this morning but it was a bit difficult to gauge everything as it was damp and very windy out there today blowing pretty much straight into your face. This was unusual as the wind is usually behind on the range so distances were down on what I would normally expect

Despite this I concentrated on making a good swing as I am still tweaking a few small things and when I got them right this morning I was seeing some very good shots, high, straight and they all would have found the fairway. Driver was hit and miss while I try to find the ideal setup but I still poked a few out to the 250 yard markers on the range when I got it right - just need to get that sorted but it is getting better each session

Tee time is booked for next weekend so looking forward to it and I might try to sneak in 9 one evening after work if Jen is out walking with the girls from her work as well

Spent some time at the range today with my good friend Canadan before I went on lock down with family stuff today.
Really working on the takeaway and not casting at the top both of which are going to take some time to work through but I know what work needs done.

Ended things with a little short game festivities. All in all a great time with a great friend as usual

Spent some time at the range today with my good friend Canadan before I went on lock down with family stuff today.
Really working on the takeaway and not casting at the top both of which are going to take some time to work through but I know what work needs done.

Ended things with a little short game festivities. All in all a great time with a great friend as usual
In person help from Dan. Much better than video!

776b43e1759f1618ae2946a41e394d58.jpg

Spent an hour in the backyard working on the short game. I used all 3 wedges to try different types of shots, plus bump and runs with different irons. My yard isn't the smoothest, so the results weren't always optimal :) But my aim is always too far left, so I was happy hitting them straighter after working on that for a bit.

It's always a pleasure my friend. Here's to many more opportunities in the near future.

Oh, and I worked on 155 yard towering 9 irons with Mike's 545s hahaha! They are fun.

It's always a pleasure my friend. Here's to many more opportunities in the near future.

Oh, and I worked on 155 yard towering 9 irons with Mike's 545s hahaha! They are fun.
I told laura u needed a full weekend of my time at some point...she didn't throw anything at me so maybe that's a yes

I told laura u needed a full weekend of my time at some point...she didn't throw anything at me so maybe that's a yes
Open invitation. Let's get after it.

Range balls are only marginally better though.

I'll see what the calender looks like after she returns and see what we can figure out...thanks again for today

Went to the range today. Had a lesson on Thursday and after two successful range sessions today wasn't as good. I hit some good, but way to many hooks.

Makes me want to move to Ohio.

(Ok, not really....) ;)

Despite the 55 degree temperatures and misty weather, my wife wanted to go to the range yesterday afternoon. She's had three lessons and her swing is looking a lot better! Far fewer whiffs, and her backswing is actually a backswing now. I worked on longer irons and fairway woods off the deck. Also hit about 60 pitch shots at a bucket from 10 to 30 yards away. All in all a good session. Irons were going high and mostly straight. I figured out something with the fairways and was elevating them quite easily in the end. Most of all, my wife and I had fun together.

Pretty pleased with where the iron, hybrid, and wedge swing is right now from just a week working on some new things. Distances are actually where I'd be fine with and aside from the occasional pull or thin when I don't commit, I'm pretty well on target.

Driver is not in a good place at the moment, though I blame that on forsaking the High Heat. I apologized to it and prompty started hitting it well again.

Greenside game is strong. Very happy with it.

This week will work on the same things I did last. Net tonight I think. No need to spend the money on balls to hit a bucket of 50 yard shots.

Oh, and divots. I took divots. Sometimes in front of the ball.

So I put a lot of work in this week on hitting my 4 iron reliably and it really paid off. It is going to be my 200 yard hit the fairway club.

The problem is that I was really inconsistent with my short irons and wedges which killed me on Saturday. Can I ever get everything to work at least halfway during the same round?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back