The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Come on Rory... one less opponent for Jordan now.

Come on Rory... one less opponent for Jordan now.

Yeah - I think this just greatly helped Spieth's chances and nabbing a win at St Andews. I hope Rory heals quickly and gets back in form soon.

What an idiot! I read this a while ago on Facebook and can't believe it. Who knows how long he's going to be out for. These types of injuries have a habit of dragging on for a long time. Ah well, clears the way for Spieth.

Love how people are calling him stupid for playing around at another sport?

What is he suppose to do, stay locked in the house?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ouch! If he wanted to impress the US women's soccer team, his golf was probably enough ... Hope he can play the Open, but those ankle injuries can be slow to heal. Bummer.

That's rough for Rory, full recovery from this will take time. And then I wonder about the nagging injury later in his career.

I understand these guys (meaning professional athletes in general) wanting to be normal people, but to me that is why these guys make so much money. They are not normal people. In my opinion, the money they make is for their performance in competition, but it is also for all of the inconveniences of fame. It's a real shame for Rory, but hopefully this alerts these guys to the need to be a little more careful in their down time.

I understand these guys (meaning professional athletes in general) wanting to be normal people, but to me that is why these guys make so much money. They are not normal people. In my opinion, the money they make is for their performance in competition, but it is also for all of the inconveniences of fame. It's a real shame for Rory, but hopefully this alerts these guys to the need to be a little more careful in their down time.
There are a lot stories of professional athletes getting hurt doing everyday simple things. Life happens I don't agree that these guys need to isolate themselves. Accidents happen.

That's rough for Rory, full recovery from this will take time. And then I wonder about the nagging injury later in his career.
Considering how much torque and weight he puts on that ankle when he swings - I hope he lets this fully heal and not let it linger all season.

The injury occurred while he was running during the kickabout and not from a tackle, kick or other type of soccer activity. This could have happened when he was out for a run during a training session. While he is a professional athlete it can't be expected that he do nothing but play golf. Freak accidents happen.

I understand what you are saying. I'd imagine that it is an interesting balance for professional athletes. On one hand, many play more than one sport and want to continue their hobbies; on the other they have to watch out for their livelihood.

I do do voice work for a living. With that being said, I'm a huge sports fan and I love cheering on the St. Louis Cardinals and Blues. I just have to be smart about it so as to not damage my voice and my living.

The injury occurred while he was running during the kickabout and not from a tackle, kick or other type of soccer activity. This could have happened when he was out for a run during a training session. While he is a professional athlete it can't be expected that he do nothing but play golf. Freak accidents happen.

It could even happen whilst walking through the rough of a golf course. Sometimes you don't quite look where you're going and you half step on something causing your ankle to twist. Nightmare scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an idiot! I read this a while ago on Facebook and can't believe it. Who knows how long he's going to be out for. These types of injuries have a habit of dragging on for a long time. Ah well, clears the way for Spieth.

How many professional athletes do you know that walk around in bubble wrap when they aren't training or playing? This could have happened to him anywhere. Solid overreaction.

You want to find an idiot? Go give that football player a shout who just blew his hand off with fireworks.

How many professional athletes do you know that walk around in bubble wrap when they aren't training or playing? This could have happened to him anywhere. Solid overreaction.

You want to find an idiot? Go give that football player a shout who just blew his hand off with fireworks.

No one comments when other athletes play golf.

Most don't ruin their ankles playing golf.

When other players get injured playing other sports they do get called idiots. The bucs kicker did it playing basketball a few years ago, I'll never forget Ron Gant in the 90s.

I wouldn't say anything if he had done it in October, but I don't think I would be playing in major season.

I think people who don't like Rory are just excited to have something to hang over him. He's a young, ridiculously successful golfer. What an idiot for enjoying a nice day outside? No, come on now. Common sense should prevail.

he's also got a net worth of reportedly around 65 million with a 200 million dollar Nike contract. Dude can quit tomorrow and laugh at anyone who is unimpressed with his extracurricular activities and have enough money to pay for the McIlroy generations until the world blows itself up.

There are a lot stories of professional athletes getting hurt doing everyday simple things. Life happens I don't agree that these guys need to isolate themselves. Accidents happen.

I agree here. My favorite example of this is when John Smoltz missed a start or was placed on the DL (can't remember which) because he burned himself ironing his shirt.....while wearing it.

I agree here. My favorite example of this is when John Smoltz missed a start or was placed on the DL (can't remember which) because he burned himself ironing his shirt.....while wearing it.
MLB is filled with odd ball injuries like that.

When other players get injured playing other sports they do get called idiots. The bucs kicker did it playing basketball a few years ago, I'll never forget Ron Gant in the 90s.

I wouldn't say anything if he had done it in October, but I don't think I would be playing in major season.

They don't, but the risk is there that an injury could happen while playing golf.

Lots of hockey players get limbered up for a game by kicking a soccer ball in the back of the arena. If one were to twist his ankle doing that, would you be all over him as well?

Come on.

Lots of hockey players get limbered up for a game by kicking a soccer ball in the back of the arena. If one were to twist his ankle doing that, would you be all over him as well?

Come on.

completely true.

What I heard... Bubba did it; with a Boss Hog-like booby trap. All so Phil could get lower odds on Spieth to win.

Come on.

We are talking about real sports here Canadan. :alien:
I kid I kid...But there is definitely two sides to it.

Contracts are written all over the sports world about outside sports causing injury. In this instance, he has no team to answer to, just himself so its a bit different. However if its two weeks before a major and I am defending champion and its being played on the course that I have always dreamed of winning it on, I am being a bit more cautious.

Back