Taylormade Burner SuperFast Experiment

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting article on the Burner Superfast driver from Taylormade that we just put up. Testing for this one took a while, but in the end was definitely worth it.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=9625

Last edited:
Great article. I imagine it's ultra rare to find a club which just works better for everyone. This thing must be quite special.

• Admin
Great article. I imagine it's ultra rare to find a club which just works better for everyone. This thing must be quite special.

In all of our testing, we have only had a select few unanimous tests. THP forum member biggsy was part of this testing and watching his ball speed and distance increase left us both looking for answers. He was up quite a bit over his previous driver and his swing speed rivals that of the tour pros.

I switched to this driver after the Spring outing and that was just from hitting it and comparing it to a driver I didn't think I would take out of my bag for another year.

The results on the launch monitor were very telling. I saw an increase in club head speed, but the biggest difference was in the ball speed. The photo JB posted wasn't even the most impressive number. A couple of the ball speeds were 190 and club head of 128-130. This was compared to 170 ball speed previously. The numbers blew me away. I could only chuckle and say wow. I didn't now I could generate those kind of numbers. Now I won't give my wife any grief when she can't see the ball off the club head.

JB and I have talked and can't figure out how a club in this day and age is so much "hotter" than other clubs out there. It almost doesn't seem fair or legal, but it is and it's the real deal. Every one should give this club a demo, it's a fantastic club.

Biggsy what are your thoughts on the shaft and its length now that its been a while. Are you keeping the shaft or thinking about a shaft upgrade or maybe going to a shorter shaft?

Biggsy what are your thoughts on the shaft and its length now that its been a while. Are you keeping the shaft or thinking about a shaft upgrade or maybe going to a shorter shaft?
I did not like the extra length on the stock shaft. I switched to a Project X 7.0 at a standard length and love it!

seems like yesterday, standing there on the range watching biggsy hit bombs, we'd just laugh and say "did you see that" over and over again. i have to agree with you biggsy, it amazes me just how much of a difference this one club can make. it's no coincidence that a ton of the TM staffers are putting this driver in the bag. really cool stuff here.

Biggsy, do you use the standard model or the TP model?

Biggsy, do you use the standard model or the TP model?
I use the standard. I tend to cut the ball, so the more close standard Superfast worked a lot better for me than the TP.

I did not like the extra length on the stock shaft. I switched to a Project X 7.0 at a standard length and love it!

Funny, I picked one up and did the same thing. But I went with a Project X 8.5..yep. lmao. I did a 5.5 and really like it too.

The set-up we hit at the Spring Outing Demo was not my favorite driver that day, but I really appreciate that TaylorMade released such a quality club at the lower $249 price point compared to the $299 minimum for most other manufacturers. For anyone looking for a deal on these, I just saw TGW.com has them for $225 right now (new).

A great read JB! VERY interesting!! I can't believe biggsy's numbers. Dude, I cannot wait until the outing to see you bomb a ball in real life. I haven't tested the Superfast yet, but it is definitely still on my list, especially now after reading this test!

I don't have a great swing, but when I demo'd the superfast I found that the added shaft length was making my timing errors in my swing even worse
the best driver I was hitting that day had a 45" shaft vs the 46.5" in the superfast

maybe a custom/shorter shaft in the superfast would solve that, but in the stock configuration it was not for me

I don't have a great swing, but when I demo'd the superfast I found that the added shaft length was making my timing errors in my swing even worse
the best driver I was hitting that day had a 45" shaft vs the 46.5" in the superfast

maybe a custom/shorter shaft in the superfast would solve that, but in the stock configuration it was not for me

Same here with both the Superfast and the DST- the low weight and long shafts just never felt 'right' to me. 45' shafted drivers don't go as far, but it is usally 80% in the fairway as opposed to less than 50% for the lighter/longer drivers.

45' shafted drivers don't go as far, but it is usally 80% in the fairway as opposed to less than 50% for the lighter/longer drivers.

I assume you mean for your game right? Because many of our testers thought that same thing going in and did not struggle with accuracy at all.

This is the exact reason we keep talking about fitting here at THP, everybody is truly different.

I assume you mean for your game right? Because many of our testers thought that same thing going in

For my game of course. Maybe I just needed more time to get into the groove with them, maybe its just a matter of learning to trust that lack of weight/feel will still work, or maybe my swing isn't good enough fot it. When I hit the DST right it was longer, no question. The Superfast I only tried during the golf show demo and I just didn't like the 'feel' of it (it didn't feel like anything). While the G15, the Bobby Jones WE, Machspeed and the L5V immedtialy felt right, and they are all shorter shafted and higher weighted than the Superfast.

What about the Adam's Speedline? Or Nike's Machspeed? those two also have similar advancements in tech (Aerodynamics). I heard them talking on CBS about these new lighter drivers, and I think it was Mccord who said that a lot of the players can't tell they're lighter (while swinging) so long as the swing weight stays the same.

Snap Hook,

I have the Speedline, 2009 model. The SF feels lighter to me. My GolfTec instructor got the 2009 Speedline and re shated it with a Myasaki and loves it.

It is all about getting fit.

What about the Adam's Speedline? Or Nike's Machspeed? those two also have similar advancements in tech (Aerodynamics). I heard them talking on CBS about these new lighter drivers, and I think it was Mccord who said that a lot of the players can't tell they're lighter (while swinging) so long as the swing weight stays the same.

hey jb are yall going to put a review of the 3 wood up to or just driver only? i was just curious on how everyone liked the 3 wood also. i just ordered one a couple days ago after hitting a friends at the range and loved it!

alright thanks! did you keep the stock matrix Xcon shaft in it at 43.5 inches or did you upgrade shafts and change the length of it?

It is standard

alright thanks! did you keep the stock matrix Xcon shaft in it at 43.5 inches or did you upgrade shafts and change the length of it?

It is standard

I really wanna try the Tour version

you think they might make a superfast hybrid? that would be pretty sweet!

Back