Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Update #1 here
Update #2 here
Update #3 here

Had a solid range session with the driver yesterday. Hit probably about 20 balls with it, and I'm very proud to say I didn't miss left once, except when I was really trying to hit a hook. I've made a couple tweaks to my setup and grip which seem to be giving me a straight shot to slight fade when hit well, slight draw sometimes if I really snap the hands (awesome) and a bigger fade on a miss. Hard to tell yet, but it seems more predictable than my old move where it was either "booming draw" or "nasty hook".

As to the shaft, it definitely seems to feel better when I really put a move on it - aka swing hard. The extra stiffness and stability really show their benefits on these swings. The shaft feels a little dead compared to the Velox when I don't swing with some authority.

Next time out (unfortunately not till Thursday probably, business trip the next few days), I may change the FlexLoft to a draw setting and see whether I can't limit that right miss and maybe encourage that little draw without reintroducing the hook.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Posted in the wrong thread, so here is my range session review. So today I got out on my home course for 18. Will post about it later tonight. Got to the course early and hit 30 balls at the range all with the baseline shaft at the end of my range session. Had the setting at neutral loft but was hitting it out right a lot so I went to the draw setting on the course. That definitely turned out to be the right choice. Was hitting the ball solidly at the range but losing it a little right. Changing the settings for the course really helped that out. Here is my impact tape from my 30 drives at the range. Had 2 high toward the heel and one low to the heel but the other 27 were all in the vicinity of the center of the face. This is pretty typical for me. I've definitely adjusted to the little extra length. I am usually around the center of the face with my drives, it's the path that's usually ugly. Anyway, here's my impact tape and I'll post about my round letter.
f6bc32feb91b91a18d4765c1daec03db.jpg

So got out on my home course today for 18. It was 90* and real windy. Had the driver set to 9*, draw setting and really swung the driver well all day. Felt like I was hitting the middle of the face and putting real good swings on the ball all round.

Hole 1: Hit a mid-high driver that went straight down the left side of the fairway. This hole was playing into a very strong wind and still found myself only slightly behind where I would typically be on a good drive. This was definitely a drive I was happy with.

Hole 2: Hit a mid-low ball flight bullet that went dead straight. Hit it pretty solidly as well. 3rd straight round I did this. This hole is a dogleg right and wound up going through the fairway. Still had a shot at the green but not where I want to be with my drive. However, I never complain about a drive that goes as a straight as an arrow, even if it does mean a missed fairway.

Hole 3: When I hit this drive I thought it would be my drive of the day. Hit a perfect drive that went straight with a mid ball flight. Wound up right in the middle of the fairway and even into a stiff wind was in an area that I sometimes don't get to with no wind. Real solid drive.

Hole 4: Hit my biggest drive I've ever had on this hole but it should come with an asterisk, haha. Hit a mid-high drive towards some trees over the dogleg. Just cleared the trees of the dogleg (about 230 carry). However, I could see when it landed it took a HUGE bounce forward and wound up as a 311 yard drive. I had a feeling what it hit but I wanted to check. Sure enough as I walked to where I thought my ball initially landed there's a flat rock in the ground that's about 3 feet long. No doubt that's what it hit. My ball also had a nice mark on it when I got to it in the fairway. I hit it decently but that rock made it look like a bomb.

Hole 8: Hit a nice little fade with a mid ball flight that found the right side of the fairway. Distance was in line with what I would expect with a well struck drive.

Hole 9: First bad drive of the day. Hit a high push fade. Had the wind at my back but was still short of where I would be on a typical drive. Luckily there is room on the right and had an unobstructed 2nd shot out of rough that isn't that thick.

Hole 10: Pulled my drive a little into the left rough. This was a mid-low ball flight that caught some trees or could have gone further left. Still was able to make a full swing with my 2nd but wasn't able to get to the green (it's a par 5 that I can usually reach). Definitely more swing than shaft related on this hole.

Hole 11: Got my swing back. Hit a great little fade down the right side of the fairway with a mid ball flight. Had the wind at my back and was down in an area that I rarely am in after my drive. Probably one of my longest drives ever on this hole.

Hole 12: Not a hole I typically take out driver but wanted to make a little push so I go aggressive. Hit a mid-high drive that was leaking right towards some woods. It's a blind tee shot and I knew it was either in the woods or it was perfect on the right side of the fairway. The woods are so close to the fairway on this hole but if you don't go in everything kicks left. As I walked to my ball sure enough there it was on the right side of the fairway. Probably another yard or 2 to the right and I would of been in the woods. Reminded me why I don't hit driver on this hole (can't reach it with any other club). Oh well, it worked out and was further than I usually am and in the short stuff.

Hole 14: Probably my worst drive of the day. High, push fade into the wind. Was way back from where I usually am and had to punch out due to the fact that it's a dogleg right and I had no opening to get through the dogleg. I know I can't go right on this hole and this was just a terrible swing that resulted in a double bogey.

Hole 15: Hit a great drive down the left side of the fairway. It was a mid ball flight that started down the left and didn't move off it's line. Probably one of, if not the longest drive I've ever hit on this hole. Definitely one of the best drives of my day.

Hole 16: Probably the best drive of the day for me. Hammered a mid-low bullet that I measured at 282 yards (had wind at my back but it's a flat hole). Where my ball stopped, the fairway is only 15-20 yards wide with bunkers on both sides. I split the fairway in half and was right in between the 2 bunkers. Again, one of, if not the best drive I've ever hit on this hole (reminder, I've been playing this course for 19 years).

Hole 17: Hit a mid-low bullet with a little fade but was still in the fairway in a spot that I usually am in with a good drive.

Overall: I hit 9/13 fairways and really feel like I'm hitting the ball solidly with my driver. I feel like I'm finding the center of the face and am getting really good distance. I'm starting to think that maybe a slight tweak to give me a little more height may be the way to go when I make my own shaft. I'll keep an eye on it but I really feel comfortable with this shaft. No issues with length although I may consider going slightly shorter. Liking the weight and stiffness of the shaft. Still don't feel where it's loading. Honestly, there really isn't much I'm thinking about changing from this baseline shaft. This is a real solid shaft as is and am liking the results. Hoping I can keep this up for San Diego! Will be back out on my home course again tomorrow and will report back. Ah, #teacherslife in the summer :glasses-cool:

Guess I need to get some impact tape, and take a photo.
I would venture to guess that there will be black all over the club face.
My swing left me a bit this weekend, I may have to practice with the new shaft (and my gamer for Savannah) instead of playing 18 on Tuesday.

Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Played a quick 9 with a buddy at my old course in Oxford that I know like the back of my hand. Had no warm up time and shot a solid 1 over 37.

Everything still holds true with the test shaft but I did have a solid 287 on a par 5 when I put a little something on it. Definitely think a little higher launch will do wonders.

I was super consistent throughout the round though. Medium-low draws or medium-low straight bullets all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great shooting chumphries. Seems like you are starting to dial it in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got the driver out today.
Put some impact tape in the face pre-round, warmed up, and hit the driver 30+ times. Impact tape photo.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438715393.739169.jpg

Went out and played. 5/8 fir with driver. One miss was awful, other two were in the rough, a yard or two off the fairway.

Came back, hit more drivers. This is 12 shots.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438715549.877881.jpg

My swing was tweaked yesterday. I got my fade back, able to draw/pull the ball, good dispersion in the range. Mid flight, no balloons. Especially considering the wind was prob 1 club right to left.

Solid feel and really liking the stiffness. Hope to get the custom shaft close to this one, maybe a touch lighter (but what do I know).

So got out today for 18 at my home course. I had one of the best drivings days of my life. Hit 10/12 fairways and was hammering the ball all day. A lot of times I find that on days I'm hitting a lot of fairways I'm not crushing the ball but I'm putting it in play. Not today, long and straight off the tee all day. My 2 misses were both blocks out to the right but both had unobstructed 2nd shots. Having played my home course for 19 years I know when I hit a good drive. I can say that 8 of my 12 drives today were in areas that I am rarely in. 2 drives particularly where in spots a good 10-20 yards ahead of any drive I've ever hit on the hole. Unfortunately the other 13 clubs in my bag didn't come to play but the driver was absolutely working. I was seeing mid ball flight drives that were going straight. Had one drive that had a little draw to it. I don't think I've ever hit a baby draw with a driver in my life. Honestly, I would have no problem going to San Diego and telling them to give me the exact same shaft specs. I do think there is still a little more distance I can get and that may be from changing the loading zone slightly or making the tip a little softer. But overall, I'm absolutely loving this combo right now.

Headed out out tomorrow after work for 9 holes. Hope my irons show up this time but really looking forward to another testing session.

Overall thoughts so far:

1. Launch is mid-high for me
2. Swing weight feels about perfect for me (I would like to see what a slighty lighter shaft produce)
3. Flex feels like a solid stiff flex and I dont seem to overpower it or not load it properly. I would like to keep the flex close to this as possible I believe
4. I need to learn more about tourque and flex points before the event so I can really refine this shaft to my needs. I feel like I wont have that far to get there as this baseline is definitely in the right neighborhood.

This has been a great read as a prep for a shaft testing opportunity of my own. Great stuff, gents.

No pressure ? All you participants will become the go to THPers for shaft related questions. My first question will be about torque. Flex, kick points, and length make sense to me, but not torque. So...

Why is torque so important when talking shafts?

No pressure All you participants will become the go to THPers for shaft related questions. My first question will be about torque. Flex, kick points, and length make sense to me, but not torque. So...

Couple of really good THP TV episodes on that.

Couple of really good THP TV episodes on that.
JB,

Is there a quick way to find them? Or just a forum search?

I'm mobile so can't find that one for you right now, but will shortly.

I'm supposed to working , but my phone keeps chiming with THP updates ?

You're the man JB. Thanks buddy.

JB and Morgan, I can't say enough good things about you two ? Thanks.

No pressure ? All you participants will become the go to THPers for shaft related questions. My first question will be about torque. Flex, kick points, and length make sense to me, but not torque. So...

JB and GG chimed in about the videos, but I'll chime in too and say that in my experience it really affects feel more than anything else. Low torque shafts tend to feel stiffer to me than high torque shafts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Played 18 today. Warm up w the shaft. I noticed a few things.
1) balls hit low on the club face flight very low, although overall distance is still really good.
2) this shaft feels so solid! I really like the feeling at contact .
3) I don't get that "twist in your hand" sensation on toe hits and heel hits.
4) the dispersion is really tight!!

Played 18 today. Warm up w the shaft. I noticed a few things.
1) balls hit low on the club face flight very low, although overall distance is still really good.
2) this shaft feels so solid! I really like the feeling at contact .
3) I don't get that "twist in your hand" sensation on toe hits and heel hits.
4) the dispersion is really tight!!

Agree on all 4, haha. Played 18 today and will post my observations when I get home.

18 today on a course I've never played before. Hit Driver on all 14 non-par3's. Hit the fairway on 12 of the 14! Have the shaft dialed in now.

Of the 14 drives -
10 were Mid height Draw - Perfect ball flight and all but one of these was in the fairway. One drew just a little more than I anticipated and finished 1 yard off the fairway in the left rough.
3 were Mid height fades - all were solidly struck and all, even though miss-hits, found the fairway. Fades for me are generally gear effect generated from a heel hit.
1 was a Mid height hook - The only poor swing on the day. Got way too fast and hooked this drive O.B.

Distance is about what I expect from the LZ that I had been playing, and everything else feels fine with this shaft. I haven't butt trimmed and probably will not, but I think maybe 1/2" off might help with the heel hits. Kind of up in the air though. Will be thinking this over during the next two weeks.

18 today on a course I've never played before. Hit Driver on all 14 non-par3's. Hit the fairway on 12 of the 14! Have the shaft dialed in now.

Of the 14 drives -
10 were Mid height Draw - Perfect ball flight and all but one of these was in the fairway. One drew just a little more than I anticipated and finished 1 yard off the fairway in the left rough.
3 were Mid height fades - all were solidly struck and all, even though miss-hits, found the fairway. Fades for me are generally gear effect generated from a heel hit.
1 was a Mid height hook - The only poor swing on the day. Got way too fast and hooked this drive O.B.

Distance is about what I expect from the LZ that I had been playing, and everything else feels fine with this shaft. I haven't butt trimmed and probably will not, but I think maybe 1/2" off might help with the heel hits. Kind of up in the air though. Will be thinking this over during the next two weeks.
Yeah, I won't mess with the length. My game isn't tuned in enough for that to be an issue for me.

Played 18 today at my home course. I'd say for the 2nd straight round my driver was really my only club that performed well. One of the guys I played with today commented on how well I hit my driver. I hit 8 out of 13 fairways and was getting very good distance. I'm seeing a mid-ball flight and dispersion is tight. I haven't lost a single ball with my driver since going to the baseline shaft. I still think I could maybe benefit from a touch more height and maybe a couple grams lighter but I'm really liking this baseline shaft. Not having any trouble finding the middle of the face however I have found with the extra length I do catch a little grass on maybe 1 drive a round. This could also be from me making an adjustment and lowering my tee height a few rounds ago. Over the next 2 weeks I'm just going to think about if I could benefit from a little more height which could be moving the loading zone and consider if I want to go slightly shorter. Getting out again tomorrow. Hope I can keep the driver rolling!

I played 9 holes today with only two holes requiring driver. I hit two drives on each. the first two were low draws one going 260 yards and the second going 270. The shaft felt like it held up well and both drives were in the left rough but still playable. the second par four required a cut and it was pretty easy getting the high fade. just go after the ball a bit harder and rotate the hips more and easy fade. Both drives went about 265 and left me good angles to approach the green. I'm feeling pretty confident with the shaft and i feel it really pairs well with the DBD. Not much else to report but I'll be playing nine more holes Friday. hope to have some more detailed feedback then.

So played 18 today at my home course. Feel the need to go hole by hole with this update as it was a frustrating day with the driver to say the least. Before the round I committed to using driver all all 14 non-par 3's.

Hole 1: Low pull towards the tee box of the next hole. Was pretty far down there but also pretty far left in some trees. Wound up doubling the hole.

Hole 2: Hit a perfect mid-high fade. Was the furthest drive I've ever hit in my life on this hole. Easy par.

Hole 3: Hit a great mid ball flight drive that went straight down the left side of the fairway. Was very long, as long as I've ever been on this hole. Wound up bogeying hole.

Hole 4: Hit maybe the best drive all year for me. An absolute mid-high bomb over the trees of the dogleg. Was the furthest drive I've ever hit on this hole. When I hit it I tried to act all cool by going to pick up my tee immediately but then thought, no I need to watch this one and picked my head back up to watch it the rest of the way, haha. Easy par on the #1 handicap hole.

Hole 6: Never hit a driver on this hole. But decided I was going to today. Hit a mid ball flight little push fade, ball hit hard and into the woods, lost ball. This hole is so tight and slopes into the woods on both sides. I knew right when I hit it I needed to get lucky but I didn't. The drive itself wasn't my worst, I hit it well and would of been in play on any other hole on the course. End result, triple bogey. Reminded me why I never hit driver on this hole.

Hole 8: Mid-low pull into the woods on the left. Again hit it well but it was a rocket that I knew was gone right when I hit it. Another lost ball, double bogey.

Hole 9: Mid-high push fade. Room over there, was only a little behind where I typically am in terms of distance. Ultimately made bogey here.

Hole 10: Finally got back on track. Hit a mid-low bullet that went dead straight down the right side of the fairway. Caught it a little low on the face but didn't really lost any yards. Another easy par after a good drive.

Hole 11: Mid-high push fade. Got some real good distance on my shot though and was able to have a good look in for my approach and wound up parring the hole.

Hole 12: This is the other hole on my home course that I rarely hit driver. Woods come out at a distance that my driver is the only club that can reach them. Any other club, no trouble comes into play. Well, blocked my driver out to the right with a mid-high fade. However, it hit a tree and came straight down staying in play. Lucky but had no shot at the green and had to punch out. Did make a bogey here which was probably about as good as I could of hoped for.

Hole 14: Hit a perfect mid-high bomb right down the middle. Ball had a little fade on it and was very long. One of the few holes I wound up bogeying though after a great drive.

Hole 15: Really hit this one hard and was probably the longest drive I've ever hit on this hole. Hit a mid flight baby fade down the right side of the fairway. Wound up parring the hole.

Hole 16: Was aiming towards the dogleg on the left but hit a push fade and wound up in the right rough. Since I was aiming left I was only about 2-3 yards off the fairway but drew a bad lie and wound up bogeying the hole.

Hole 17: Hit a terrible mid ball flight push fade. Caught some trees but wasn't enough to keep it from bouncing OB into a hazard. Lost ball #3 with my driver. Wound up doubling the hole.

Overall: Pretty frustrating day with the driver. Hit 6 out of 14 fairways. However, as you can see I had some BIG misses that led to some ugly holes. Shot an 85 but that really could of been so much better if it wasn't for some real ugly drives. On the 6 holes I hit the fairway and the 4 par 3's, I played those 10 holes in +3. I was really hitting my approach shots well even though my putter was even worse than my driver. However, on those 8 holes I missed the fairway I was +12. That included 3 doubles and 1 triple. Was only able to make par once after missing the fairway and it was really because I wasn't just missing, I was behind trees or OB when I missed. 3 lost balls for me on my home course is as much as I can ever remember losing in one round. I can definitely say that the driving was due to my swing and not the shaft but it was my first real disappointing day with the baseline shaft. I'll see if I can get my swing back next week when I get back out there. Will probably try to get on a monitor next week. I have a pretty good idea about on course distance, dispersion and trajectory but think it'd be good at this point in the process to get some numbers. Not sure where I'll go yet, will have to do some research this weekend.

Back