Feedback Journal Thread - The HandCrafted Experience w/ Project X

Nice work fellas. I can see everyone is putting their test shaft through its paces.

One request for either JB or one of you lucky participants:
Can someone post everyone's information in ONE SINGLE post? Preferable in post #1 of this thread. I think this will help everyone following along better. I need to know which THPer represents golfer ME so I can pay better attention. THANKS 
1. THP Screen Name
2. Driver Head (Model and loft)
3. Current Shaft (Model, Length, and Flex)
4. Swing Characteristics (Tempo, Swing Speed, and Avg. Carry)

Good suggestion and one we will definitely do with the Live Update thread for the event.

Played my first round at Mirimichi today in Memphis. Shot a nice three over 75 with 9/14 fairways hit and 2 birdies (one missed fairway was with a 3 wood). Overall, I really liked the demo shaft. I do feel like I'm losing about 10-15 yards over my old shafts, but I was very consistent. I think the feel is great and I just need to raise the launch up a bit with it during tweak time. I was consistently into the wind and downwind all round with short drives of 220 and long drives of 295-300. I was probably averaging about 250-260. Pleased so far, but have to raise the launch up a bit to get a little more distance.

What do you think is causing loss of distance? With the low-mid launch I would suspect you would get maybe some decent roll out.

Is is the lower launch related to help get the ball in air and what happens when you take a normal swing like you would with your everyday shaft

What do you think is causing loss of distance? With the low-mid launch I would suspect you would get maybe some decent roll out.

Is is the lower launch related to help get the ball in air and what happens when you take a normal swing like you would with your everyday shaft

It's just not the most efficient trajectory. I'm not getting as much of a draw with this shaft as my other one. Less draw and less carry means less distance.

I'm not changing my swing any for the test shaft. The only thing I do sometimes is try and help it up to get some distance and I'll tend to lose it right if I do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got out for 18 yesterday. Had a real chance to break my personal best until I finished bogey, bogey, double, double (can you say meltdown). Was +5 through 14, +6 on the last 4 holes. A HUGE reason why I was doing so well for the first 14 holes was my driver and a HUGE reason why I imploded on the last 4 was because of my driver. Guess you could say my driver was very hot/cold.

Hole 1: Hit a bomb down the right side of the fairway. Measured it at 275 yards (hole does play downhill a little). This had a perfect mid-ball flight with a very slight fade.

Hole 2: Dogleg right, hit and absolute bullet that went dead straight. Unfortunately it went too straight and wound up going through the fairway and in a part of the rough that I had never been before. It was a good 10-15 yards ahead of where I usually am when I don't fade it on this hole. Measured at 256 yards and still had a GW into the green with no obstruction. This had a mid-low trajectory.

Hole 3: Hit another perfect drive, mid ball flight down the left side. Measured it at 262 yards. This was right in the range of as far as I've ever been on this hole.

Hole 4: Feeling good about my driver and pulled the heck out of one into the fairway running parallel. This was a low, duck hook but not in a terrible place to be as going left does make this hole shorter but this was my one bad swing on the front with the driver.

Hole 8: Hit a nice straight drive that I would say was mid-high. Caught a little grass behind the ball but hit it in the center and wound up on the right side of the fairway. Measured it at 232 yards but a lot of this had to do with hitting a little behind the ball. Still in the short stuff with a short iron into the green.

Hole 9: Dead into the wind I hit a perfect mid flight drive that went as straight as an arrow. Forgot to measure the distance on this one but was pretty far out there even with the wind in my face.

Hole 10: Another great drive down the right side with a mid ball flight. This is a flat hole that was playing into the wind. Measured it at 269 yards. I got all of this one and was definitely among the best drives of the day.

Hole 11: Put my best swing of the day on the ball. For whatever reason this swing just felt perfect and I ripped one down the left side of the fairway. This was playing with the wind at my back and downhill and I measured it at 281 yards. Ball had a mid-high ball flight.

Hole 14: Probably my best hit of the day. Bombed one with a mid-high ball flight down the right side. This was playing downhill and with the wind at my back and I measured it at 303 yards.

Hole 15: This was when things came unraveled. Don't know what happened. Actually hit a nice mid flight drive that I hit really well. Unfortunately it started down the right side and had a slight fade. This hole is absolutely punishing if you go down the right side. Anything down the right side kicks hard right into the trees. Ball actually landed on the fairway about 5 yards from the rough but having played this hole 100's of times I knew I was in trouble. Ball bounced right like it hit a trampoline and was in the trees. Any other hole this is in the fairway but I know the penalty for going right and I paid the price. Had to punch out. I'd still stay this was a solid strike though. At this point I stopped measuring and tried to grind out the rest of my round to break 80.

Hole 16: Ugh, push-slice. Just terrible and wound up in the trees. Just a pathetic, weak, high slice.

Hole 17: Another pitiful push-slice. Short, high and into the trees leaving me no shot into the green.

Overall: Shot an 81 which was my best score of the year but I really should of broke 80 (would of only been the 2nd time in my life). I was happy with my driver, especially early on. Was 7/9 in hitting fairways until missing the last 3 when my swing went down the drain. So total; 7/12 fairways. Had some real good distance and am finding that I am hitting the center of the face more. It is a longer shaft and took a little adjusting but I'm really liking the ball flight and distance I'm getting. Still haven't focused too much on feel but till try to do that more with some range sessions. Will be getting out next week for possibly 4-5 rounds of 18. Will have plenty of updates for you guys next week.

It's just not the most efficient trajectory. I'm not getting as much of a draw with this shaft as my other one. Less draw and less carry means less distance.

I'm not changing my swing any for the test shaft. The only thing I do sometimes is try and help it upto get some distance and I'll tend to lose it right if I do that.

ok I think I'm following. The part about trying to help the ball in the air is what I was considering a swing change and maybe misunderstood if you were doing this on every hole

Very interesting reading the thoughts so far, this will be really cool to see the end results.

Some good feedback in here so far guys. If I could offer one piece of advice, don't dwell on trying to use technical lingo, thats something I guarantee you end up being educated on and will learn more about, instead focus simply on conveying what you are seeing in your words. By doing that, you paint a clearer picture for yourself and kind of get the brain out of the way to just see the performance and what you want or hope to change.

Shafts are hard to review and talk on, one of the absolute most difficult things out there, so just shoot from the hip and really embrace the whole picture.

Keep it up, it kills me I'm missing this, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the read.

Some good feedback in here so far guys. If I could offer one piece of advice, don't dwell on trying to use technical lingo, thats something I guarantee you end up being educated on and will learn more about, instead focus simply on conveying what you are seeing in your words. By doing that, you paint a clearer picture for yourself and kind of get the brain out of the way to just see the performance and what you want or hope to change.

Shafts are hard to review and talk on, one of the absolute most difficult things out there, so just shoot from the hip and really embrace the whole picture.

Keep it up, it kills me I'm missing this, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the read.

DB gave some similar advice and I've just been trying to keep it simple. Looking at trajectory, dispersion and distance and comparing it to what I'm accustomed to. Playing my home course a lot since I know where I typically am and comparing from there. I'm trying not to confuse myself too much with torque and loading zone.

With an engineering background it's kinda hard for me not to get technical, but I understand where you're coming from.

So far, the best way to describe everything is low and slow but really consistent. I love the feel of the shaft. The ball doesn't come off like a rocket, but I think a slightly higher trajectory would just be perfect. I think the next time I'm out on the course I'm going to raise the loft on my driver a degree and see what I get. I don't really think I need the increased spin, but we'll see.

Nice work fellas. I can see everyone is putting their test shaft through its paces.

Can someone post everyone's information in ONE SINGLE post? Preferable in post #1 of this thread. I think this will help everyone following along better. I need to know which THPer represents golfer ME so I can pay better attention. THANKS 
1. THP Screen Name

Here's some info on me:
2. Callaway XR Driver head 10.5*. Playing at Neutral/Standard settings.
3. Project X LZ in 5.5 flex. Stock length.
4. Smooth tempo. Swing speed in the 88-92mph area. Avg Carry is 225-230ish.

Great questions!

I'll go

915 head 10.5 playing neutral setting

Usually play a stiff flex around 60 grams

Driver swing speed 102+

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here's some info on me:
2. Callaway XR Driver head 10.5*. Playing at Neutral/Standard settings.
3. Project X LZ in 5.5 flex. Stock length.
4. Smooth tempo. Swing speed in the 88-92mph area. Avg Carry is 225-230ish.

Great questions!

Good idea Minh, I'll play too:

2) Nike Vapor Pro (set 11.5 neutral)
3) Typically something mid/mid high launch around 60g. Was using Matrix Velox Sp in here before
4) Moderate tempo. SS around 100mph, average carry on a good swing is probably 240-250.

And to Jman's point, if I had to describe this shaft very "unscientifically", it'd be mid launch, stable, and probably a touch shorter carry but a touch more roll.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm liking this thread more and more every time I come in here. Very thankful for you guys putting all the good/bad/ugly out for us to read and follow along with.

Callaway 815 Alpha DBD 9 degrees but actually measures at 10 degrees
Aldila Rogue 60 110 MSI X flex 45 inches
Average swing speed 107-110 mph
Quicker tempo

I took the tester shaft out for 18 today. The course is interesting as it only requires the driver on two holes on the front nine. My first drive was on a downhill 491 yard par four. For whatever reason I just connected. The shaft loaded and unloaded at the correct moment and contact was the best I can remember in a long time. Perfect trajectory and a slight draw. When I got to the ball I was 165 yards from the green. Easily my best drive of the day. The feel was incredible. I seem to have the shaft almost figured out. The remaining drives varied from 250-290 yards and all but one were fades with nice trajectories. I'm still prone to a slice if not careful but I only hit one that landed in the next fairway. All stayed within play. The one draw on the back nine was off the toe and stayed low but the distance was still acceptable and it remained on the left side of the fairway. I wish I could be more specific but I left my scorecard with my notes on the cart.

My impressions in terms of feel remain consistent. It has a very smooth feel and it does seem as though there's some kick at the bottom. My trajectory with the shaft has improved and I'm very pleased with the launch angle. I've definitely come around and am hitting it well. I imagine my personal shaft won't be too far off from the tester.

Playing Callaway XR Pro at 9*.

Old shaft was Alilda Rogue Silver, Stiff, 69g (low launch/spin)

SS is around 98 MPH, typical shot is a medium to medium-low draw.

1. THP Screen Name

Here's some of my info...

2. Callaway Big Bertha 815. It is a 9* head and I play it at the 9* loft setting and go back and forth between the neutral and draw setting.
3. Current shaft is the Project X LZ shaft that is stock for the XR drivers. It is stiff flex and 45.5"
4. My swing; I have a shorter backswing but get pretty aggressive with my transition and downswing. Swing speed hovers around 100-103 mph, give or take a couple. I wish I could tell you more about my distances but I honestly don't know them for my driver. I haven't had a chance to hit on a legit monitor (golfsmith ones are always juiced up). I'd say on a flat hole on the course if I hit it well I'm around 250-260 yards out. Don't know exactly how much of that is carry and how much is roll.

Update #6 - To read previous updates click here

Ok, forget everything I said about shaft length causing heel hits. Found my issue. In my previous update on yesterday's round I talked about how I started hitting the shaft better on the back nine. I had a lightbulb moment on the #11th tee box and realized that I'd been gripping the club way to tightly. Loosened my grip for the rest of my drives yesterday and had better results. Tonight I did the same with the lighter grip and this time used impact tape. These are the 6 drives from tonight:

20150801_203219_zpsjfvrfjbp.jpg

All 6 drives had the same trajectory - perfect mid height with a little draw. Solid impact and good distance for me.
The hole in the above picture is the #9th. I aim for the fairway bunker on the right hoping for a draw back into the fairway (water all along the left side). Today's drive didn't draw as much as I wanted and I landed in the trap on the carry. GPS measure to the landing mark in the sand was 233 yards and 238 total distance. would have been 245ish if I'd found the fairway for sure.

Will be playing 18 tomorrow so we'll see if this fix continues.

I'll go

915 head 10.5 playing neutral setting

Usually play a stiff flex around 60 grams

Driver swing speed 102+

Which head, D2 or D3?

Which head, D2 or D3?
D2 head sorry. Should have added that.

Got out for a quick nine holes tonight. I hit 4 of 7 fairways and my misses were all playable.

Hole 1: no warm up so stepped on the tee and smoothed a perfect high fade in the left side of the fairway. Mid to high trajectory on this one and felt solid.

Hole 4: Hit it dead straight... Left. Solid strike that I just pulled left. Was about 10 yards off the fairway in the rough far enough behind a tree to get over it.

Hole 5: hit it high on the face and suffered distance loss. Headwind ball only carried about 215. It was a par 5 so no biggie and laid up. Was about 2 yards from the fairway.

Hole 6: Hit it solid on this one. High fade about 5 yards right of the fairway. Another high ball. Need to confirm with computer numbers but I think I am getting a little to much spin.

Hole 7: worst drive if the night. Hit it low in the face and got a worm burner. Rolled out to about 200 total in the middle of the fairway. No shaft would have helped this one.

Hole 9: best drive of the night. Slightly high in the face but great carry. Long par 4 of 434 here and had 170 to the back location flag. Again high slight fade middle of the fairway this time.

Really loving how stable the shaft feels. The prevailing trajectory for me is leaning towards high with this test shaft but it just feels so smooth to swing. I say high but I honestly am liking the flight. I don't think I am ballooning the ball and am seeing good carry on well struck shots. Loving this testing and the experience. Going to get out for 9 this week.

Got the shaft out again today for practice session, hit about 100 drivers.
I'm still really enjoying the mid to mid-high ball flight, still drawing the ball more than I usually do, and really didn't lose very many balls right. The shaft feels really solid. Center face contact us rewarded nicely.
Distance seemed like my usual distance w a few outliers both long and short.

Quick note from PX gentlemen

If the shaft is playing long for you, please feel free to trim the shaft from the butt end to match the current shaft length you would like. Everyone measures length differently.

With an engineering background it's kinda hard for me not to get technical, but I understand where you're coming from.

So far, the best way to describe everything is low and slow but really consistent. I love the feel of the shaft. The ball doesn't come off like a rocket, but I think a slightly higher trajectory would just be perfect. I think the next time I'm out on the course I'm going to raise the loft on my driver a degree and see what I get. I don't really think I need the increased spin, but we'll see.

Low and slow is a very interesting concept when referencing a shaft.... I've certainly heard that idea around a driver head but never a shaft.

Maybe you could expand on that? How did the increased loft work out for you?

Low and slow is a very interesting concept when referencing a shaft.... I've certainly heard that idea around a driver head but never a shaft.

Maybe you could expand on that? How did the increased loft work out for you?

I haven't had a chance yet to raise the loft and see what difference it makes.

I think to explain my low and slow thought is to relate it to baseball. With a driver, I'd love to see a medium to medium high draw that starts out just right of center field and draws back towards center with a nice piercing ball flight. The feeling I get the demo shaft is like hitting a nice, lazy ball that ends up flying all the way to the wall, just right of the center field marker for a double.

I don't get a "launched that" feeling with the demo shaft, but I do get a very solid, consistent "that'll be just fine" feeling. I'm really consistent with the shaft, and even my fairway misses aren't that bad. I never really have the "crushed it" feeling after a shot, but nor do I ever really have a "let me put my waders on an go on a jungle hunt" feeling either. Just very solid overall.

Went out the range today. Hit my final 30 shots all with the driver/baseline shaft combo. Changed the settings on my driver from the draw setting to the neutral setting. I felt like lately an issue with my driver was it was the only club I had a 2 way miss with. Changing the lie angle on the BB 815 really does have an impact. I was hitting the ball real well at the range. Didn't see any go left, just a lot of straight ones and some baby fades. Did have a couple push fades but nothing huge. I was getting some real good distance and loved the trajectory which was mid to mid/high. Total distance on good shots was in the 260 yard range with range balls. I had impact tape on the face and was finding the center a lot, unfortunately I wasn't thinking and threw it away on my way off the range. I have definitely adjusted to the little extra length on this shaft and have no issues at the moment. Will be curious to see how the change in settings works on the course. I do feel like I'll be able to swing a little more freely adjusting the settings and having more confidence that I can eliminate the left miss. Playing tomorrow and will probably get out 4-5 times this week. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Update #7 - To read previous update click here

Great day driving the ball with the test shaft. Hit Driver on 12 of 14 non-par 3's. Hit the fairway on all 12.

8 of the drives were perfect mid height with a tight draw, just like I prefer.
1 drive was Low height but straight and still decent distance - mis-hit low on the face here.
1 drive was low height draw and decent distance - another mis-hit low.
1 drive was a Low height fade. A heel hit here but got lucky. Ball faded right of fairway and off a hillside and rolled back in the fairway. Good distance.
1 drive was a mid height hook. Bad swing here, got way too quick on this one. Another lucky bounce though had the ball come off a hillside left and back into the fairway.

Last edited:
Back