Tiger Woods Switches Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this in the British Open thread earlier, but I know that many may want to talk about it. Tiger Woods has made the switch to the Method Putter, ditching his Scotty Cameron after over a decade of use.

Golfer Gal had the opportunity to get a tour of the Oven last month and shoot a video on the Nike Method putter.

wow! i must admit that i'm a little shocked. tiger and his putter were so synonomous with each other. that speaks volumes for the method, it'll be interesting to track their sales. do you have that capability?

I have a feeling if he does well sales will go through the roof, as with pretty much anything Tiger uses and does well with. I know Scotty will be watching this weekend with a little extra interest.

I am in shock too TC I knew he had this putter as a backup but I never thought he would ever put it in play.

it certainly says 2 things: the method is the real deal and that tigger's putting woes were for real. this is huge for nike and the method line imo. the amount of closeup shots of tiger's putter that are about to occur is huge!

Last edited:
Not that I needed another excuse to watch this but I for one will be extremely interested on how this works out. As we all know you never wanna blame yourself for your on the course woes, it's always gotta be the equipments fault! Sometimes all it takes is an equipment change to "fake" yourself into getting that confidence back, and we all know thats the name of the game when it comes to putting. Still he has used his Scotty for his entire professional career so its gotta be strange.

"I've always been tempted to change my putter on slower greens and I've always struggled when greens are really slow," Woods said. "I've always felt more comfortable when the greens are quick. I've always experimented with other putters throughout the years but I've never put one in play until now." - Tiger Woods

From his media interview on why he switched.

that is crazy! You know Nike is thrilled. I hope this shuts people up who would never consider every other putter to be inferior to the Cameron. I do use one, so no offense to anybody that does, but there are many very awesome putters out there.

that is crazy! You know Nike is thrilled. I hope this shuts people up who would never consider every other putter to be inferior to the Cameron. I do use one, so no offense to anybody that does, but there are many very awesome putters out there.

kinda funny that you pretty much did the exact opposite of tiger.

Big coup for Nike. Is this a knee jerk reaction by Tiger to try and jumpstart his game? I hate to ask the question but would he really have changed if he was winning or at least playing well?

I coulda swore he used the Method another time before... Either way should be interesting. I wonder if he tried any other putters other than the Method. He really should look into the Wilson Staff 8881 hahahaha. I kid but really I wonder what else he looked at. Just when I thought I was over caring about this guy.

wow thats huge. i get that he is saying that it's just for the slower greens however if he putts well and uses the method to do so i cant see him making a change especially if he finishes in the top 2 or 3

When JB mentioned yesterday that he was using it during a practice round, I had a hunch that he would put it in the bag this week. It will be interesting to see how he does with it.

IF he is able to win, there would be 3 Major wins out of the last 6 played.

I also agree with SethO. In my golfing circle and around the clubs up here, Scotty Camerons are considered THE putter, everything else is subpar.

This is huge news, I didn't think TW would ever part with his putter. This is an outstanding ad campaign all in itself, "I've used my same trusty putter for every single win in my career, but I've switched to something better." - Tiger Woods. Yep, that has a ring to it.

This is huge news, I didn't think TW would ever part with his putter. This is an outstanding ad campaign all in itself, "I've used my same trusty putter for every single win in my career, but I've switched to something better." - Tiger Woods. Yep, that has a ring to it.

Sounds like the Srixon Ball commercial...hehe

I coulda swore he used the Method another time before... Either way should be interesting. I wonder if he tried any other putters other than the Method. He really should look into the Wilson Staff 8881 hahahaha. I kid but really I wonder what else he looked at. Just when I thought I was over caring about this guy.

He has been seen practicing with the Method but he never put it in play for a tournament. Nike must be quite anxious. If he putts well I think the sales will be through the roof. I'm pulling for him.

Just wait for when he throws a hybrid in the bag!!!

He has said in the past he thinks hybrids are very easy to hit, his only issue is that he can't keep the ball low with the hybrids he has tried. Hard to hit that stinger shot with them for him I guess.

I guess the new Equipment Pondering thread was just a little too late for Tiger to explain this to us and get our thoughts. Feel free to stop in Tiger! Agree that this is HUGE for Nike IF he does well and you see him out there on the last day rolling the Method. Which version did he put in play, the one? I really never thought Id see Tiger switch putters, says a lot about his putting lately. Remember all those misses at the US Open?

Just wait for when he throws a hybrid in the bag!!!

He has said in the past he thinks hybrids are very easy to hit, his only issue is that he can't keep the ball low with the hybrids he has tried. Hard to hit that stinger shot with them for him I guess.

When you can hit a 6-iron 230 yards from a bunker over water to a tight pin for an eagle and make it look easy you don't need a hybrid. :)

Big news indeed. I bet Nike was doing backflips.

Does anyone think this makes Tiger look desperate? Or maybe that he is thinking maybe a change of equipment could be good for him? This year he has already used 3 different types of driver shafts, now a new ball and putter... I don't remember reading/seeing/hearing about him tinkering so much in the past

I think the change is good. I hope it works for him, I want him to WIN

Good point but Im actually glad to see him make the switch. Even if it doesnt stick. Makes him more human lol. New ball???
Does anyone think this makes Tiger look desperate? Or maybe that he is thinking maybe a change of equipment could be good for him? This year he has already used 3 different types of driver shafts, now a new ball and putter... I don't remember reading/seeing/hearing about him tinkering so much in the past

I think the change is good. I hope it works for him, I want him to WIN

Says he is only using it this week because the greens are so slow and the ball comes off faster with the method vs the scotty. The scotty will be back in play after this week and faster greens where he is more comfortable putting.

Says he is only using it this week because the greens are so slow and the ball comes off faster with the method vs the scotty. The scotty will be back in play after this week and faster greens where he is more comfortable putting.

I wonder if winning will change that

Back