Does The Birdie Fest At The PGA Championship Bother You

I feel like the PGA Championship sets up courses so that it's just as easy to make birdie as it is to run up a big number. So nah, it's kinda part of the tournament for me.

I'm meh on the PGA anyway. Its a step below the other three majors for sure. I know I'm well in the minority but The Players is just as compelling for me personally.

I'm meh on the PGA anyway. Its a step below the other three majors for sure. I know I'm well in the minority but The Players is just as compelling for me personally.

Im with you as well. And I am becoming meh on the British too, just because each year it is more and more apparent that it is a total flip of the coin for weather to decide the winner.

Im with you as well. And I am becoming meh on the British too, just because each year it is more and more apparent that it is a total flip of the coin for weather to decide the winner.

1. Masters
2. Players
3. PGA Championship

Then the other 2 messes.

Its bad when the weather can take out half the field on day 1 which happened a few years ago at the British. There has to come a point where its fair to the field to stop play, but in the stiff upper lip tradition of the Brits, they must continue play.

Funny part is that no one complains IMO when the winning score at the Masters is double digits under par like it has been many times since 2000. Spieth set the scoring record there this year and I don't think people were saying it wasn't a good thing.

Also on the tangent this thread has taken: weather is part of the game. The impact the weather has on the Open Championship is much more tolerable than the stupid man-made influences the USGA puts in to protect its beloved par at the US Open.

The PGA Championship doesn't have the pizzazz of the other 3 majors, but in the last 15 years, there have been as least as many suspenseful finishes in the PGA Championship, if not more, than the other majors.

Also on the tangent this thread has taken: weather is part of the game. The impact the weather has on the Open Championship is much more tolerable than the stupid man-made influences the USGA puts in to protect its beloved par at the US Open.

To you. Others dont care for it as much.

Funny part is that no one complains IMO when the winning score at the Masters is double digits under par like it has been many times since 2000. Spieth set the scoring record there this year and I don't think people were saying it wasn't a good thing.

The PGA Championship doesn't have the pizzazz of the other 3 majors, but in the last 15 years, there have been as least as many suspenseful finishes in the PGA Championship, if not more, than the other majors.

What the USGA does impacts the field equally however.

Don't mind low scores ... but you should have more than PW for a second shot on a par 5 ...

I don't care what the scores are, as long as it's close, and there's a challenging final hole that can determine it all. Tomorrow is setting up beautifully

To you. Others dont care for it as much.

What the USGA does impacts the field equally however.

Not everyone has to agree on it. Open Championship isn't the only tournament where the draw matters, though the effects are magnified over there. People were making the argument that the early Thursday/late Friday players in this tournament had it easier than the other side of the draw because of the winds on Thursday afternoon.

Part of my argument is that I'm not a fan of USGA setups. I thought that Mike Davis was doing some good things early in his tenure, but the last 2-3 years has changed my mind.

And as far as weather, let me clarify. Weather effects every single tournament, major or non-major. Each side of the draw in every tournament is subject to different weather. And I understand that and have no problem with it. What I'm specifically speaking about is the Open Championships instance that they play on regardless of the weather. Carry on, soldier on, hrumpf, hrumpf, hrumpf. Doesn't matter that the wind is blowing 40 mph for only a 1 or 2 hour period and hits only a portion of the field. Why not just halt play when it gets that intense? Its Britain, the weather will change soon and it stays daylight forever there during summer.

I adore the Open. For me the weather is part of the mystique of the Open Championship, and links golf in general. But to each his own.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I adore the Open. For me the weather is part of the mystique of the Open Championship, and links golf in general. But to each his own.

Same boat, at times it can become a pain like this year, but watching these guys fight the elements on classic courses is wonderful to me. I enjoy it more than fairways cut down to 15 yards wide.

Nope the only tournament I like to see really protect par is the U.S. Open although that was a joke this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same boat, at times it can become a pain like this year, but watching these guys fight the elements on classic courses is wonderful to me. I enjoy it more than fairways cut down to 15 yards wide.
Agree 100%. It's just so pure to me. I know it's cliche, but that's the way it feels. Time tested courses that have been around for over 100 years in most cases.

Anyways, back on topic, I don't mind seeing guys go low on a tough but fair course. And I very much like seeing putts roll smoothly.

Agree 10000%.

I'm in the same boat. Think the part of the unknown is what makes it so amazing.

Nope, if the weather changes for the worse it will become the bogey fest. I just enjoy seeing them play whatever the conditions.

I agree and was thinking the same thing.

Well it continued again today. And I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Seeing Jason and Jordan on their streaks on the back nine was just riveting. Michelle came in a at one point and said you're getting pretty excited in here. Ha.

I told her it was with good cause.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't mind it. I understand some people not liking it, but I just enjoy seeing good golf, anytime.

The only thing that gets me on a birdie fest golf course is the afternoon guys playing in completely different conditions. But that's golf on the first two days. The best over come it by hitting the accelerator when they need to.
If it's the Open I like it brutal, but not unplayable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I loved it. The average score over the entire tournament for the field was 72.77, so to say it was a birdie fest is a bit disingenuous IMO. It wasn't Humana. The conditions were pretty benign too so that helped the field some. The best players in the world played their best and were rewarded handsomely. Day's four rounds were phenomenal and he was a deserving champion.

doesn't bother me, but to me there's nothing sets the PGA championship apart from several other events. I think it's a bit of a throwaway major that is trying to gain a foothold. the masters has the tradition and allure of Augusta National; the U.S. Open has its crazy measures to protect par; the Open Championship has the different setting (to us as Americans) and crazy weather and very different playing style; and the PGA has what? I often the Players and the Memorial to be more compelling than the PGA.

What's goofy, the PGA is an older championship than the Masters.

What's goofy, the PGA is an older championship than the Masters.

True, but for some reason the whole "rich in tradition" angle plays for all the other majors but doesn't translate to the pga for me. I really can't explain why.

it was a fun watch, but kinda boring yesterday was not the tournament's fault. day just surgically picked it apart and didn't open the door for anybody. a few more putts fall for Jordan and a few less putts catch lips and fall in for jason and maybe I'm more enthralled. but again, not the tournament's fault. several recent masters have been boring on Sunday as well.

Back