Callaway XR Driver Review Thread

I hit this today during the demo day and really liked, but forgot to get my settings from the rep and I have no clue what they were set at. I don't know if I could get it set up like he had it or not, but it sure has been tempted.

I hit this today during the demo day and really liked, but forgot to get my settings from the rep and I have no clue what they were set at. I don't know if I could get it set up like he had it or not, but it sure has been tempted.
90% it was a 10.5 and 5.5 LZ. Other than that, I'm sure between the throng here in midGA we can work it out.
It was definitely nice to see you hitting driver that well.

I am loving my XR now. Can't believe how easy his club is to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who has hit the new GBB and XR, how do they compare? Looking for the best fit for slow swing speed guy. Last two drivers have been Cleveland CG Black and G30 SF TEC.

For anyone who has hit the new GBB and XR, how do they compare? Looking for the best fit for slow swing speed guy. Last two drivers have been Cleveland CG Black and G30 SF TEC.
I just hit the GBB today and I gamed the xr for quite a while. I'd say the launch is similar, xr being touch higher. Both are very forgiving but the APW on the GBB just works really well. And I found the xr to be a bit fade biased

I just hit the GBB today and I gamed the xr for quite a while. I'd say the launch is similar, xr being touch higher. Both are very forgiving but the APW on the GBB just works really well. And I found the xr to be a bit fade biased
You forgot GBB sounds 1,000,000 times better.

I am loving my XR now. Can't believe how easy his club is to hit.

I agree. I'm several months into mine now, and do not see any reason to change anytime soon. My XR is by far the best Callaway driver I have ever owned and I've owned almost all of them since the first one.

I found inconsistency with the XR ... but everyone is different. I think the feel with the GBB is more direct than the XR, which is a benefit. Still a soft face, but the XR seems squishy to me.

For a slower speed guy, I think the GBB with the Bassara shaft is worth a look - I swung the Bassara and thought it was a smooth feeling offering and will offer a lower speed guy the spin needed to maintain carry.

Depending on "slow speed" and your angle of attack, you will need to decide on loft. My SS ranges from 92-99, and I have no problem using a 9 degree and get plenty of air due to my setup and positive angle of attack.

So you will need to hit the simulator.

As to the choice between the two, drivers are strange creatures -- I suggest you compare the two against one another.

I've had such good results over the past 2 weeks with my XR/UST Elements Chrome 6F4T at a D5 swing weight that I thought I'd throw my UST Elements Helium 5F4 shaft back in the head and increased its swing weight from D0 to D5. I saw decent results Friday night with it, but went to play it Saturday and really struggled with it. It seemed like I was launching balloon balls most of the time and even hooked one to an adjacent fairway - which is an absolute first time ever for me. It was super high as well. Like the worst slice you could imagine but flipped to a hook. I think it's just too light for my irratic tempo. So it's back to the 6F4T for now for me.

The tungsten tabs that ordered arrived on friday so I could finally replace the lead tape i was using. I used three tabs initially, and that was a good set up, but after losing one of the tabs somewhere around #3 on Saturday, I played the rest of the weekend with 2 and that really felt like a comfortable swing weight for me. I was having swing trouble so I wasnt very good off of the tee, but I did hit some some pretty good drives along the way. It is forgiving enough to be consistently longer than any other driver I've gamed, but the nutted ones don't necessarily go noticably farther than some past drivers. This is definitely a solid club at the right swing weight

I really need an excuse to get the GBB but I was murdering the XR again today. After a bit of a tweak to my grip I had at least 3 drives today in the 280+ range with 2 beyond the 300 yard mark. This driver is the balls.

I found the XR to be a disappointment. Really inconsistent and it felt pretty harsh even with a good strike. Sold it down the road. Original BB seems much better.

Still gaming my XR. Solid hits are still long. Off center hits are as well. Love the pop sound off the face of this club. Need to remember that smooth swings are the way to go with this guy. Otherwise, I'm 2 fairways over standing sideways trying to play my ball out of a Bush while it's hanging 3 ft in the air ?

Made a change with my XR at the range today. I took out the PX LZ Handcrafted and out put in an Oban Devotion 6 and set it to Standard loft/Draw and started pounding the ball with much more consistency. Feels like the Oban has a smoother flex profile than the LZ does which suits me better. I found the sweet spot much more consistently and my launch was much, much better than it has been. Swing was still crap today so those sweet spots hits are more of a silver lining ha

Still stinging this club since switching shafts. It is very reliable, controllable, and forgiving. Sweet spot hits fly a mile. Hit a couple over 300 yards today in Michigan, with one tracked at 321 on a flat hole. A real difference maker I think is the tungsten tab I placed at the outside of the toe side of the sweet spot. I'm seeing a two yard draw or fade on the vast majority of my decent or better swings. My confidence in this club is sky high right now

you and me both. Ive hit my first drive over 300 with this driver and have hit a few since...
Amazing, and Im in play more often than not.

Im not used to playing driver to a wedge, but I like it

you and me both. Ive hit my first drive over 300 with this driver and have hit a few since...
Amazing, and Im in play more often than not.

Im not used to playing driver to a wedge, but I like it

Same here. Though, I had to increase the swing weight to find consistency with it.

Same here. Though, I had to increase the swing weight to find consistency with it.

Are you playing it at 46", or shorter?

Shorter and with a heavier than stock shaft. Right now it's at 45.5" and has a UST Elements Chrome 6F4T shaft in it (~65 grams).

I have 12" of lead tape wrapped around the adapter right now, but plan to have it trimmed to 44.5" and have the swing weight increased by hosel weight and/or hot melt. I've hit my SLDR 293 before with a 44.5" shaft in the 80 gram range so I don't think I'll lose much distance overall by having it cut down another inch. And if I lose some distance but increase my FIRs and consistency, I'm okay with that.

Has anyone hit the XR and the Cleveland CG Black with cKua shaft? How do they compare and contrast? It sounds like the XR is a lightweight driver as well.

I have not hit the CG Black, but the XR head is very lightweight. The stock shaft is very light as well - I think it's 56 grams.

I have not hit the CG Black, but the XR head is very lightweight. The stock shaft is very light as well - I think it's 56 grams.
The head is definitely light. I saw much better results once I added weight to the sole. I only had to bring it up one swing weight point, but it made a huge difference

The head is definitely light. I saw much better results once I added weight to the sole. I only had to bring it up one swing weight point, but it made a huge difference

I wish it was only 1 SW point for me. With hot melt and lead tape i finally got the head to 200g

I wish it was only 1 SW point for me. With hot melt and lead tape i finally got the head to 200g

I started at three points, but since I initially did a poor job attaching them, I found that I didn't have much difference in results between three and one as they fell off. The last one standing was the weight off of the toe side of the sweet spot, which added enough bias to correct my fade and the rightedness of the Oban Devotion 6 I have in it. Once that one weight fell off, it was a different club that I couldn't control. So reattached another weight properly and I've been in a groove ever since. Nothing scientic about the process though haha

Back