Callaway Great Big Bertha Week

I might have missed it, but will you have to go to a Callaway Fitting Center to get the benefit of complete shaft offerings and full fitting? Will they be training the stores to do so?

Thanks to all for the feedback on the article. Frankly I was pretty surprised by the gains in the fitting. One thing I had been noticing before was I wasn't getting a lot of rollout with my driver. I wouldn't say it was ballooning, but it would come down and probably rollout about 5 yards max. That was probably because spin was close to 2900 rpm. With the new setting the ball flight visual to my eye is definitely lower, which I'm not used to, but when I get to my ball, it is up much farther than I'm expecting. I think I'm getting about 15 yards of roll right now depending on the situation.

The other thing that was surprising was the jump in Smash Factor. A jump from 94% efficiency to 97% efficiency is big. R.Moto face delivering big ball speed gains!

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions about my fitting. If you want to read more, here is a link to the original article. AJ updated it with all of the launch monitor data. http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/17/how-i-left-no-yard-behind-w-gbb-a-custom-fitting-story/

Enjoy #GBBWeek!

This was a good read. Swing speed wise I'm right there with you and always struggled to correlate my ball speed with the distance it produces. See how you adjusted loft for launch and a slightly heavier shaft makes me want to tinker and find that right combo for me.

Thanks to all for the feedback on the article. Frankly I was pretty surprised by the gains in the fitting. One thing I had been noticing before was I wasn't getting a lot of rollout with my driver. I wouldn't say it was ballooning, but it would come down and probably rollout about 5 yards max. That was probably because spin was close to 2900 rpm. With the new setting the ball flight visual to my eye is definitely lower, which I'm not used to, but when I get to my ball, it is up much farther than I'm expecting. I think I'm getting about 15 yards of roll right now depending on the situation.

The other thing that was surprising was the jump in Smash Factor. A jump from 94% efficiency to 97% efficiency is big. R.Moto face delivering big ball speed gains!

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any questions about my fitting. If you want to read more, here is a link to the original article. AJ updated it with all of the launch monitor data. http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/17/how-i-left-no-yard-behind-w-gbb-a-custom-fitting-story/

Enjoy #GBBWeek!

bery good article. My swing speed is in the same range as you and was seeing similar carry distance numbers, I have the gbb with rogue coming. I don't have the numbers at the rep didn't have his trackman up but based on ball flight and where the ball was landing on the range there was an increase in distance from what I have seen with other drivers the last couple years

I might have missed it, but will you have to go to a Callaway Fitting Center to get the benefit of complete shaft offerings and full fitting? Will they be training the stores to do so?

This is the only way that I would buy a new driver these days. If I could get the same results that I do with my current driver but with the new tech that the big gal has, I would be very interested in picking one up.

Enjoy #GBBWeek!

Oh great, DNevs getting more distance, just what I want to hear! Great article man, way to kick off what promises to be a very fun week!

The are really pushing getting fit in all the articles so far. I really like that.

Wonder what his V Series would have done at 8 degrees, draw, with the Fuji 665.

Loving everything callaway is doing this week, but this is a bit misleading

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/17/rd-whitepaper-the-short-versions/

Granted, it says they assume 14* Launch and 2,400 spend. However, those launch conditions will simply not be achievable if a player has a certain angle of attack.

and a perfect smash factor of 1.50 bascially a perfectly struck shot. But how else can they compare it? If you hit this driver exactly like that one it will go further. seems logical to me.

Great article. Very informative. Really really really makes me want to get fit into some clubs that's for sure

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

and a perfect smash factor of 1.50 bascially a perfectly struck shot. But how else can they compare it? If you hit this driver exactly like that one it will go further. seems logical to me.

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can achieve a 1.50 smash factor with a number of AoAs. AoA will effect spin and launch angle more than smash factor.

I am really intrigued with the more I learn about this driver. Definitely going to have to give it a try. I know I could benefit from a lot of the tech in this if I can find the right combo for me.

I've got some reading to do this evening.

We are rolling out the fitting protocol all throughout the country. All National Accounts will be receiving fitting components, training, etc. So Callaway fitting locations at GolfSmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore as well as green grass accounts should be able to fit you to the new Great Big Bertha with a large selection of the no-upcharge shafts.

Loving everything callaway is doing this week, but this is a bit misleading

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/17/rd-whitepaper-the-short-versions/

Granted, it says they assume 14* Launch and 2,400 spend. However, those launch conditions will simply not be achievable if a player has a certain angle of attack.

Agree with you that different player launch conditions vary widely and some players would have a hard time getting to 2400rpm with their current swing. However, at some point, we needed to pick certain achievable launch conditions. R&D picked those conditions as "achievable", i.e. we didn't pick 17* launch with 1700 spin and 180 ball speed. A 1.5 smash factor is indeed achievable if you hit it solid in the center of the face.

Great article and a fun read. I have to be honest that when I first hit the GBB I was less than impressed.

Part of it was the shaft that was in it and the other being the head. After seeing my buddy just put up some great numbers and James forcing (kidding) to go try it...I went back today.

I found a 9° head and put it with the Rogue 60X. Adjusted to about halfway between draw and neutral. Oh my...what a difference! I was seeing more draw than what I like but was amazed at the distance and lack of spin. The average from several hits was within 4 or 5 yards of center line.

I agree so much in getting fit into the right shaft, head, and weight placement. Such a mind change happened when I found the last combo.

One simply can't grab something off the shelf in a flex they are used to...so many options you all make available to the golfer. If I hadn't gone back and tinkered with a different combo and setting...I wouldn't have picked it back up again and may have overlooked something wonderful.

Keep up the great work!

Well well well Doug....

Callaway Great Big Bertha Week

Cally is live on periscope right now

That was pretty cool to watch. This periscope thing is sweet.

Just watched the periscope. My goodness that guy can hit the ball. 120+ swing speed 310 carry. OMG! The GBB looks awesome. Need to get fit stat!

I absolutely love the #GBBWeek coverage so far. Some really neat info in there.

Would really be interested to see fitting data from some regular hackers however (like mid 90's swing speed, some swing flaws), to see what sort of improvement is there for a player like that.

Hopefully the fitting ddec goes through will give a lot of insight.... (in no way saying that ddec has a low swing speed or swing flaws, just that it will be neat to see it happen with a THP'er)

Just watched Joel Klatt (Fox Sports college football analyst) get fit for the GBB on Periscope. He can mash a golf ball, 120 mph club head speed! Very cool to hear him talk about how he's coming from a 4 year old driver, and what he gained on shots hit on the center of the face as well as mishits. Interesting for him that his usual miss is a little heel-side on the face and he has an out-to-in swing, so the APW put into a draw setting helped him make that miss less penal.

We are rolling out the fitting protocol all throughout the country. All National Accounts will be receiving fitting components, training, etc. So Callaway fitting locations at GolfSmith, Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore as well as green grass accounts should be able to fit you to the new Great Big Bertha with a large selection of the no-upcharge shafts.

Now that's what I'm talking about ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway live is on now

Hahahah bag tackles!

Back