Windows 10 anyone?

So I work in the tech industry and here are my thoughts on 10. Our organization has been running 10 in our test bed since the first developer preview came out. From what we have seen everything you may have ready about privacy concerns on Windows 10 is true. You will have to do some leg work to ensure that you are not broadcasting your info out to Microsoft.

Here is just some of the info that Microsoft is collecting: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/everything-need-know-windows-10s-privacy-issues/

System/Server/Network admins DO NOT UPGRADE unless you plan on having an RDP session to your domain controller all day. Last night Microsoft FINALLY released RSAT tools for Windows 10 but you are unable to work with DHCP. Here is the link to the tools if you so dare! haha: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

Also, if you are using the home version you will not be able to turn off Windows updates. Microsoft added this to EULA allowing them to automatically patch your system without your intervention. Enterprise versions will be allowed to configure this setting to allow for management of updates.

Ken, my download speed in 60 Meg and it took almost an hour, I am guessing it will take an hour and a half for you.

Hmmm. My download speed is about 40Mbps. This should have been quick. I'm going to pull the plug.

Dawg and v.man, just a heads up on download speeds. Latency is your main concern when trying to download something. Network latency is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another. If you have high latency your download speeds will always be slower no matter what service you have (ie 60Mbps, 40Mbps). Run a speed test (www.speedtest.net) from home and look at the Ping section of the speed test. This is latency in milliseconds. The higher the number the longer it will take to download a file. This is a screen shot of our office and we are always around 15-20ms (this is a business class service with service level agreements). Home services do not have service level agreements and can vary a great deal.

Screenshot%202015-08-21%2010.32.21_zpsjywftogk.png

This is just my two cents on 10. :)

Everyone seems to have had a longer download time than what I experience. I wonder if it's because I keep everything on a external drive or the cloud so I guess maybe that's why mine took less time. I have nothing on this computer really.

I have been running it for a few weeks now with no issues at all, in fact my computer seems to be running faster with Windows 10

Last edited:
How is anything running Vista running well. It is the worst. Windows 10 probably uses less resources than Vista so you should be able to use the same machines.

I have an HP desktop that I have had since 2007 and have never had a problem with it. I keep hoping it will die so that I can get a new computer.

Thanks for all of the info hickerad, I used the first link to add a little privacy to my computer and also if I understood correctly I ran a speed test and Ping at 12 ms so that is fairly fast I think.

Thanks for all of the info hickerad, I used the first link to add a little privacy to my computer and also if I understood correctly I ran a speed test and Ping at 12 ms so that is fairly fast I think.

No problem! I just wanted to make sure everyone was in the loop on the privacy thing. Microsoft puts all of that information in the EULA which none of us ever read. 12ms for home broadband is really good. You will see higher values depending on the time of day and provider (Time Warner, AT&T, etc). I only provided the first link but I would take a little bit of time a do a few Google searches on Windows 10 privacy. There are tons of articles out there about it. We are finding new things everyday so stay in the loop.

On my daughter's satellite I didn't wait for the W10 notification. I just went to the MS site and started the process. Only issue I had was she doesn't use it enough so I had several MS updates that I had to do first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Went to site and dl'd it. Works. Hope I don't regret upgrading.

I have been running it for a few weeks now with no issues at all, in fact my computer seems to be running faster with Windows 10
Same here.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Running into my first roadblock with Windows 10. My in-laws PC has an unsupported nvidia card, so a little bit of Google-fu later and I'm attempting to upgrade it for them. I may be in for a long afternoon.

I have no issues on my win 7 toshiba lap top so im hesitant to upgrade to win 10. I have seen lots of problems arising.

Running into my first roadblock with Windows 10. My in-laws PC has an unsupported nvidia card, so a little bit of Google-fu later and I'm attempting to upgrade it for them. I may be in for a long afternoon.

The PC updated pretty easily in the long run. You can now download Windows 10 directly without using their app, so I upgraded that route then immediately installed the Win 8.1 video card driver which worked fine. Their PC is now booting & running a lot faster than before.

Now if I can just keep my mother in law from installing a million and one ad serving browser toolbars...

Ditto here and we ever got our sound back on our laptop. We loss it a good ways back when a windows update was downloaded on the HP we have. I tried down loading new drivers and everything to no avail. The new OS fixed it.

Ditto here and we ever got our sound back on our laptop. We loss it a good ways back when a windows update was downloaded on the HP we have. I tried down loading new drivers and everything to no avail. The new OS fixed it.

I noticed a lot of things being fixed when I updated to 10 as well - my volume soft keys didn't work all the time before, now they're perfect. Likewise with my USB ports, they wouldn't always recognize a device when first being plugged in, now it's instant.

After upgrading my iTunes failed to recognize my iPod. Known issue, ran through all of the fixes and then it was recommended I do a clean install. I didn't mind as I backed up everything I need on a new hard drive. Did the clean install and it failed every time - either I got a bad install file or something.. I'm going back to Win 7.

Now if I can just keep my mother in law from installing a million and one ad serving browser toolbars...
My folks are like this ... every couple of months I need to go in and spend some time retooling their desktop. I've considered taking away admin rights from them, but it's not my computer (it's just all my time spent fixing the dang thing). Oh well ...

Just hit my first roadblock. The label printers and program I use are having a problem with the update Windows 10 did yesterday. Apparently my computer did one of those involuntary updates where it just restarts on its own, and now the programs won't work. I called their customer service and they said they are getting flooded with the same call. Their developers are working on it, but in the meantime if I want to print a label or postage I need to use my old computer that still has windows 8 on it. For one the Lenovo saves the day.

Just hit my first roadblock. The label printers and program I use are having a problem with the update Windows 10 did yesterday. Apparently my computer did one of those involuntary updates where it just restarts on its own, and now the programs won't work. I called their customer service and they said they are getting flooded with the same call. Their developers are working on it, but in the meantime if I want to print a label or postage I need to use my old computer that still has windows 8 on it. For one the Lenovo saves the day.

I've noticed quite a few driver issues with 10

I'm the kind of person who waits a year until upgrading. It's my way of avoiding bugs, hotfixes, security issues, etc. Lazy mans way. :)

I'm still waiting for all of you to have the problems that will eventually be fixed.

I'll probably load it up when Win 10.1.1 comes out. Thanks everyone!

I'm still waiting for all of you to have the problems that will eventually be fixed.

I'll probably load it up when Win 10.1.1 comes out. Thanks everyone!

This is me to. Just wait till it gets fixed and then upgrade.

My only issue has been the fact that my Logitech headset has no win10 64-bit drivers.

Evidently the win10 drivers they do have are no good. Wiped with full CCleaner and reinstalled my OLD drivers. All is well.

Last edited:
I knew this was a mistake, but let Windows go ahead and do its update while I went to do some errands. Got back and it apparently did it's thing and shut itself off. Now, when I boot it up it goes to welcome page and asks for my password. When I enter it and hit next, it just sits there. Finally, I click next again and it starts all over ending up on the same welcome page. It's done this 4 times now. Guess I'll Google for help on my tablet.

I still can't get the drivers for my label writers to print labels and stamps. I hope they fix this problem soon, it's very annoying and extremely inconvenient.

Back