Grandura Shafts Review Thread

Low launch and spin shafts like the Matrix Black Tie or Graphite Design AD BB

Feel as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel as well?

I am not much of a feel guy. The 510 has been great. There is always a worry of swinging a telephone pole or having a low/low shaft feel like rebar but that is certainly not the case with this shaft. Just really smooth and stable.

530 ts 65g
Dean was nice enough to let me take a few swipes with this combo today, and by few, I mean 3, so I'll keep my thoughts short and sweet.

1. It feels HEAVY.
2. It feels STIFF.
3. It looks INCREDIBLE matched to his Covert 2.0 head.

With my first swing, I pummeled a ball down the right side of the hole (ball didn't draw back like I am used to). With the second swing, knowing how heavy and stiff it felt with the first swing, I got too aggressive and put a terrible swing on it. The third swing was a tee shot on a hole that gives me fits (dogleg right--ha). I aimed right at the trees on the corner of the dogleg and demolished a ball right through them (didn't touch even a leaf) and LONG.

The ball launches on the low side for me, but I think Dean mentioned his driver was set at 8° (I play mine at 9°).

Overall thought on it? I just kept wanting to hit it.

I just did the fitting with my numbers from yesterday (at Golfsmith) which were awful and it put me in the 530 S, most of my issues are swing not shaft related but I was seeing really high launch (18 deg) and spin (4,300) with the KK shaft distance was low as expected 200 carry, no roll hardly with clubhead speed around 92mph. I am working on the swing but definitely need a low spin / launch shaft to help the problems.

Anyone with experience with the PX LZ60 S could you compare the Gandura to it. I hit the PX decently when I release it, but still pretty high and not much roll. Thanks

instead of editing my post from earlier today, I'll just add on to make this a little more visible.

sorry if this is repetitive, but some quick stats about me: ss 98-102, avg drive 245, trajectory is mid piercing with lowish carry. I am reviewing the 590 at 71g TS flex.

the course I played today puts a premium on driving. many tight but long holes, and elevation changes. tough course. I confirmed all drives with gps. I played 27 holes, back then front then back again. 6 holes into the day it started pouring and didn't let up for an hour and a half, so the course was wet, affecting roll. wind also became an issue later in the day.

I hit 36% of my fairways on 18, and 43% on 9. my average was 244, with the longest at 280 and shortest (not missed) at 215.

I continue to be amazed at the dispersion of this shaft. no, I didn't hit an amazing number of fairways. but my misses were just off the fairway.

I also continue to insist that this shaft gives you what you put into it. if you're controlled but aggressive with your transition, it responds very well. but make a poor swing and this isn't going to bail you out. it wants your best stuff. and to be fair, I will say again I think that's more about stiffness than anything else.

I hit 2 of 21 drives that I would call higher trajectory; everything else was mid maybe barely mid high. I would love to pair this with a lower spinning head to see what it did, as some of my drives into the wind were spinny and got eaten up even in a mild wind.

I have a lot of confidence with this shaft. the tinkerer in me would want to try a 68g 590 in s flex, but this setup is as good as anything I've ever played, maybe the best I've ever played.

shot shaping is do-able, though fade is a little easier than draw. I've never played a shaft that was so easy to hit dead straight.

a 273y drive and a 280y drive on a wet day for someone who barely crests 100mph in SS is so exciting.

wonderful product here. I have another round scheduled for Thursday, and should be able to get feedback from some other thp'ers.

I spent some additional time with the Grandura 530x (65g) shaft this weekend and I come away with both mixed thoughts, and a mixed understanding of how the shaft is performing.

There is a definitively lower launch than I generally expect to see. That much is quite clear, with launch under 10 degrees on a fairly regular basis. With that in mind, despite the low launch rates, I am seeing spin spikes of more than 1,000rpm higher with the Grandura, which really does not help my personal game as I tend to lean towards the lower spin offerings -- And surprises me based on the head I am using to test (816 DBD). This is not something new to me, as I have seen similar numbers and feedback like this in the black tie from Matrix -- Which leads me to believe that the 530 will have a very strong audience.

I believe the 530x will be best suited for golfers seeking a very stable profile in the mid to low/mid spin range depending on swing delivery, and something that will keep launch down at the same time. In the X profile, I think it would also be geared to golfers that either have a powerful transition, or swing more than 110mph. I find it to be limited in feedback with a swing that has been registered right around 110mph.

As far as personal experience goes (although I know this is more about the shaft itself), I'd probably lean towards the 510 in TS as a follow up interest. I would prefer to get some feedback out of the shaft I game, and it seems like the lower spin profile of the 510 would improve on my current spin rates with the 530. I am just finding the X profile to be a bit more stout than I prefer.

Ok after a long rainy cold weekend I finally got to hit some more balls with the 550s today. This thing is a launcher for me and I think I figured out why. After reviewing their site
b681884f2e1b95255c5c889d5941c22c.jpg

They mention this being for someone who prefers a lower lofted driver and still wants good launch. Well I'm using a 12* driver lol so of course that explains the mega launch. I struggle with aoa from time to time tho so rather than this ballooning on me, it's turning out to be a fantastic flight. I could definitely see someone go lower loft and still get some nice launch numbers. The nice thing for me currently is this shaft isn't spinning too high for me. Im seeing not only good launch but good roll. I'll admit the fws are pretty firm right now as we haven't seen much rain (besides this weekend) but regardless of that this is still performing. Its providing some great distances and actually quite a few now have been towards yardages I don't normally see. I know it's not about fit but damn I can't help but notice this is a much better fit than what I was playing. I'll admit I wasn't fit into that 757, I simply won it haha.

The more I play it, the more I like the looks. They are subtle / stealthy and after seeing some awesome results from it, it's like pulling a top secret weapon out of my bag haha. I don't see a ton of wear on any shaft I play because I'm pretty careful with them so I can't comment on the durability. So far it's just brand new looking.

Overall I'm just impressed, straight up. I really have no desire to play a different shaft right now in my driver, this is fantastic. Im comfortable with it and really have a good feel for it. I was anticipating something great from Grandura and I can say honestly, the 550 is it.

I spent some additional time with the Grandura 530x (65g) shaft this weekend and I come away with both mixed thoughts, and a mixed understanding of how the shaft is performing.

There is a definitively lower launch than I generally expect to see. That much is quite clear, with launch under 10 degrees on a fairly regular basis. With that in mind, despite the low launch rates, I am seeing spin spikes of more than 1,000rpm higher with the Grandura, which really does not help my personal game as I tend to lean towards the lower spin offerings -- And surprises me based on the head I am using to test (816 DBD). This is not something new to me, as I have seen similar numbers and feedback like this in the black tie from Matrix -- Which leads me to believe that the 530 will have a very strong audience.

I believe the 530x will be best suited for golfers seeking a very stable profile in the mid to low/mid spin range depending on swing delivery, and something that will keep launch down at the same time. In the X profile, I think it would also be geared to golfers that either have a powerful transition, or swing more than 110mph. I find it to be limited in feedback with a swing that has been registered right around 110mph.

As far as personal experience goes (although I know this is more about the shaft itself), I'd probably lean towards the 510 in TS as a follow up interest. I would prefer to get some feedback out of the shaft I game, and it seems like the lower spin profile of the 510 would improve on my current spin rates with the 530. I am just finding the X profile to be a bit more stout than I prefer.

I'm really glad you posted this. Thank you for writing this up. I went through the Grandura shaft fitting twice and it spit out a 530 X flex shaft both times. Your concerns on the 530 X flex shaft are my exact same concerns and had the exact same thoughts on the online fitting tool spitting that shaft out. Solid info right here! Thank you!!

Just caught up on the thread and went to their site and did their online fitting which recommended the 530X but could see trying the TS flex too. Based on the feedback it sounds like they might be worth a spin.

Has anyone witness any distance loss thus far, like something significant?

I took some cuts with JB's in Savannah and saw no loss of distance. I am going to buy one on the 5th of October when they go on sale.
Just caught up on the thread and went to their site and did their online fitting which recommended the 530X but could see trying the TS flex too. Based on the feedback it sounds like they might be worth a spin.

Got 550X as the recommended shaft - low lofted driver mid-launch. Might be worth a shot.

No distance loss and tighter dispersion is what I'm seeing. I'll have mine in California with a GBB head for you to try. I think it plays stiffer that you think and the 530 S I have is right in your wheel house

No distance loss for me. It has been about the same but I did see some gains during my last round.

No distance loss and tighter dispersion is what I'm seeing. I'll have mine in California with a GBB head for you to try. I think it plays stiffer that you think and the 530 S I have is right in your wheel house

Sounds good. I've always stuck with the S shaft over the XS, for the most part, because it gives me just a little more "whip" on the ball but is stable enough not to lose it off the tee. Will be interested to see then.

No distance loss for me. It has been about the same but I did see some gains during my last round.
Yes sir exactly what im seeing. Quite a few that are longer which is awesome.

on my best strikes, it's probably the longest shaft i've ever played. on my worse strikes, it's not worse than any other. on middling strikes, it's not the best, it's certainly not the worst, but it has some of the best dispersion.

i have to say, i'm VERY surprised to see how many people it's putting into ts and x flex. i'm telling you, put your ego aside when you're going through the fitting and give low end of your average distance. this shaft plays true to flex, perhaps even a bit on the stiff side. my understanding is that canadan can pop the ball pretty good, and he said he'd consider dropping back a flex from x to ts. me personally, i have to really put the best into a swing to get the most out of the ts, so for the days i don't have it i'd rather have stiff.

i love the shaft. i'm a tinkerer so i'm always interested in trying new things. but compared to what i've gamed so far this year, i'd put it in the top 3, probably vying for 1 or 2. this year i've tried: kusala white 56 s, red tie 6q3 s, graphite design ys six nano reloaded s, graphite design tour ad mj-6x and 6s, accra cs1 60 m4, oban kiyoshi gold 65 04, aldila tour blue 65 s, and grandura 590 71 ts. my top 3 would be grandura, mj-6s and tour blue, with the kiyoshi gold barely edged out by the tour blue.

I just did the online fitting tool and it put me in a 530 TS, surprised me a bit. My swing speed is usually around 97 to 99 with an occasional 100 mixed in on a warm day. I would suspect that stiff would be fine I really expected it to come out 590 stiff.

I just did the online fitting tool and it put me in a 530 TS, surprised me a bit. My swing speed is usually around 97 to 99 with an occasional 100 mixed in on a warm day. I would suspect that stiff would be fine I really expected it to come out 590 stiff.
Thats the exact shaft I received. Our SS is similar too

I was also fit into the TS - the 590 for me. I put in my (Ballpark) numbers from the swings I took on the Flightscope in Savannah.

I was also fit into the TS - the 590 for me. I put in my (Ballpark) numbers from the swings I took on the Flightscope in Savannah.
FWIW, at 105+ with the stiff 590 it's had zero issues holding up to my swing.

I saw your posts about it, looks like its working for you. I may need to give it a try once they are available, depending on retail price of course.

I'd honestly go the S route. I'm one to prefer a bit softer feel and I'm looking at about 10mph slower than you are. Slower transition when I'm swinging well, and I've played a light R in my driver without running into spin issues.

I was just surprised that TS was the suggestion.

I'm about the same as you Jman. 106-108 avg. I was surprised that the fitting tool spit out a 530 in X. Definitely would go TS at most based on what I'm reading so far.

On another note the online fitting tool is pretty awesome. Compared to other options that are out there for different shafts. Grandura definitely stood out to me.

Same way with me (550) feels great at 104-105mph range. Definitely can feel it kick but it's a very nice feeling imo

You guys are really making me excited for the 550 in S. I want.

Back