The Home Renovation Thread

We have talked about updating our guest bathroom. It's really just replacing the vanity, mirror and light fixture. Can you really just plug and play a new vanity? The one in there now is a standard size, so in theory couldn't we just take the old one out and put a new one in?

We have talked about updating our guest bathroom. It's really just replacing the vanity, mirror and light fixture. Can you really just plug and play a new vanity? The one in there now is a standard size, so in theory couldn't we just take the old one out and put a new one in?

You could yes. In theory

Haha, I like how you ended that with, in theory. Knowing that in reality it would be a giant disaster if we tried to do it ourselves.

He's a HI veteran though, and knows to always hedge his bets to account for the unexpected.

Haha, I like how you ended that with, in theory. Knowing that in reality it would be a giant disaster if we tried to do it the key is to make sure you're aware of how the plumbing is configured under the countertop. If it's centered then of course you want the same configuration. Last thing you want is to buy a vanity and find out the plumbing is coming up in the drawer space, or what ever. If you take pictures and go looking it should make it easier. Obviously a new vanity would likely require a new top.. And if your using the same faucet then you need to make sure the top is drilled to accommodate that fixture. A bunch of if and or is all it is.

Haha, I like how you ended that with, in theory. Knowing that in reality it would be a giant disaster if we tried to do it the key is to make sure you're aware of how the plumbing is configured under the countertop. If it's centered then of course you want the same configuration. Last thing you want is to buy a vanity and find out the plumbing is coming up in the drawer space, or what ever. If you take pictures and go looking it should make it easier. Obviously a new vanity would likely require a new top.. And if your using the same faucet then you need to make sure the top is drilled to accommodate that fixture. A bunch of if and or is all it is.

We would replace the vanity, top and fixtures, right now everything is a lovely coral color straight from 2001 when the house was built.

If you aren't moving any fixtures or replacing any drywall it should be about 2-3 thousand per bathroom. Tile can get expensive, and removing the old tile is a right PITA.

GG, If you look on craigslist local there used to be a guy who had a whole bunch of vanities for sale very cheap, some of which were places like Pottery Barn and Restoration hardware at more than half off. Many included tops. I"m not sure if he's still around or not but its worth a look.

The Home Renovation Thread

As a general contractor when we quote out bathrooms for standard sizes which is 5' x 8' or 5' x 7'. Those usually start around 10,000. It all depends on electrical and plumbing layouts. That effects pricing. Finishes also affects pricing like mentioned above. The Type of tile and type of plumbing fixtures etc. In regards to plug and play vanity, in theory, if the plumbing drain location would stay the same and the size of the vanity is the same, in theory, Everything should be all right.

I have plenty of estimates for these kinds of work so if anybody's interested shoot me a message and I'll be more than happy to send you a PDF of our estimate. Mind you this is for work here in South Florida which can vary in pricing in your area.

Currently working on this bathroom and it's 5 x 5.

be3a97b1e6a6ef483e75cafe1527e1df.jpg
7fa4bcac8847bd65be1e3874b4a7a06a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would replace the vanity, top and fixtures, right now everything is a lovely coral color straight from 2001 when the house was built.

Fixtures usually are pretty close to plug and play, so long as you don't have some really weird new light that has like 5 wires to hook up to it for certain features. That's pretty rare though.

If you need a recommendation or two for a remodel person, I kinda know a guy or four.

All these quotes are great! I'm looking at updating both my upstairs bathrooms, likely a DIY job with the help of a friend who is a GC. Both my baths are quite small, but both likely have to be torn down to the studs. Hoping to get both of them done over the winter.

Thanks for all of the input everyone

All these quotes are great! I'm looking at updating both my upstairs bathrooms, likely a DIY job with the help of a friend who is a GC. Both my baths are quite small, but both likely have to be torn down to the studs. Hoping to get both of them done over the winter.

Quotes are good for a ballpark but keep in mind that costs will vary depending upon what region of the country you're in.

Quotes are good for a ballpark but keep in mind that costs will vary depending upon what region of the country you're in.

I took the $70/sq ft estimate and added a bit to it since CT seems to be super expensive for just about EVERYTHING.

Here in South Florida home remodel rates currently are roughly $80-$120 sq/ft. New Additions and New construction start somewhere around $150-$200 Sq/ft

Here in South Florida home remodel rates currently are roughly $80-$120 sq/ft. New Additions and New construction start somewhere around $150-$200 Sq/ft

I can appreciate those numbers, but I'm quite certain 441 Is Looking at a more cosmetic face lift and not taking the bathrooms Down to the bones as in the picture you posted earlier. Of course everything is subject to so many variables. That throwing numbers at something like that is like being in the same zip code as the ballpark. Instead in the ballpark with pricing.

I can appreciate those numbers, but I'm quite certain 441 Is Looking at a more cosmetic face lift and not taking the bathrooms Down to the bones as in the picture you posted earlier. Of course everything is subject to so many variables. That throwing numbers at something like that is like being in the same zip code as the ballpark. Instead in the ballpark with pricing.

With that said, my estimates earlier were also down to the bones. Nothing but studs and concrete after I gutted it.

033c9a2c349fe430f96e20aa5872af6e.jpg

Ready for tile install

7a930ecc605e38d9f2c941ff0f416913.jpg

Getting TILE started

Love our subway tile, looking great!

Really want to figure out the expansion of the screen/patio in our backyard. It seems the major cost is the concrete to go below the pavers and for a pretty "small" job costing over $5k seems like we are stuck not being able to do it right now. The screen part is inexpensive, but frankly without doing the "floor" its impossible. Really need to make friends with a local contractor.

Why concrete below the pavers? Packed limestone will offer more drainage and will settle more evenly.

Back