TOAOST21

Reaction score
Handicap
Well after two rounds with the Pro at my Club, and two lessons before each of those. The unthinkable happened, i was playing a round with the brother and all the sudden i realized the heads on my R9 irons were coming off, now granted its over 100 here for like three weeks now but this has never happened before. So i have to send them all back and get them replaced or repaired. I'm guessing whichever is easiest for them but still it sucks soooooo bad, oh well i guess im playing my r7 tp's for a couple of weeks.

That sucks dude. hopefully the turnaround is quick! I hit the r7 tps yesterday, LOVED THEM
Well after two rounds with the Pro at my Club, and two lessons before each of those. The unthinkable happened, i was playing a round with the brother and all the sudden i realized the heads on my R9 irons were coming off, now granted its over 100 here for like three weeks now but this has never happened before. So i have to send them all back and get them replaced or repaired. I'm guessing whichever is easiest for them but still it sucks soooooo bad, oh well i guess im playing my r7 tp's for a couple of weeks.

thanks man i almost cried when i noticed all six of my irons that were in the bag were doing it, hell i almost lost my 7 iron head it hit the fairway...my ball did not

my 4 and 5 iron heads snapped off while i was playing a few weeks ago. I ended up shipping back the entire set to have them re-shafted. Hope this isn't a continuing problem...

I would be asking for a new set at my door, and a return shipping label included in the box.

hate to say this but setho had this same problem I believe. I had some epoxy (glue) issues on the label and one came off and I had a quick turn around. little over A week shipped there and returned. Taylormade has great service they will take care of that but I'm sad that this is happening I'm almost thinking I just need to get my clubs that I have now reshAfted since I'm switching to steel instead of just buying them new so I won't have this issue. Sucks man!

the worst part is they are special order clubs like the TM guys came to the club and we had them build them with the KBS tour shafts so i dont know whats gonna happen

Damn that really sucks. Hope the clubs are sorted our and returned real quick.

the worst part is they are special order clubs like the TM guys came to the club and we had them build them with the KBS tour shafts so i dont know whats gonna happen

Terrible that these issues are still happening. Terrible. What started with one batch of bad epoxy has clearly run over. The ironic thing is that I have had 4-5 R9 sets in my possession and never had this happen. But there is no excuse for this at all.

With that said, they do have UNBELIEVABLE customer service and even being special order will cause no problems in a quick turnaround.

Hope it all works out for you, TOAOST.

So the whole head was coming off? Not just the badge? That really sucks.

Ok got my first update, they are making me a whole new set because something about the shafts being compromised so I should get them soon, and the best part is they are putting the same golf pride grips on for me so i dont have to spend that money again

i have heard from the guy on the phone that this is not their first problem with the epoxy, however they have large blanket contracts with the company that makes it so it takes a failure rate of X% to be able to change it, and he also said that they aren't the only company that uses this epoxy not sure how true that is or if he is just trying to make me less angry about this

Last edited:
Luckily you're getting them fixed :) I was at the range the other day, and some guy's Nike driver head goes flying off the shaft. The pro-shop guy had to announce to stop hitting while the poor guy had to run out to the middle of the range to retrieve his driver head.

Does the heat affect them? Do they just eventually loosen with time and from being constantly used? :confused2:

That really sucks toast espicially from such a reputable company. I am glad to hear that they are fixing it for you, one of the reasons they are a reputable company.

Man all these reports of R9 problems makes me doubt my purchase a little!

dont doubt it i love the way they play and i havent played a better feeling iron imo, with that being said im sure living in Ga/Al had something to do with it however i don't leave them in the car or out in the heat im really kinda anal about where i leave them and the carts where i play have these like roof things so your clubs stay in the shade and dry, and i do play everyday or close to it so that may have something to do with it but i cant see it being a huge thing

I can't see heat being a factor in weakening a properly manufactured steel shaft.. no way. Not disagreeing with you, since yours were defective, but even 200F shouldn't affect any quality steel.

I agree with the feel of the irons, I love them!

Sucks man. TM has had a ton of problems with these irons and this is why I got rid of mine. TM does have excellent customer service however. I really hope they get these problems sorted out soon.

I woulda just epoxied em back up but i work on clubs sometimes. Don't see how the shafts could be affected though unless they broke in the hosel rather than the epoxy lettin go.

Wow, all these problems with the R9's. It's amazing such a great company as TaylorMade created an "Edsel" of an iron. I've never heard of so many issues with any of their other clubs. At least they are standing up and taking care of everyone. Kudos to them for that.

I have a question for you all. Do I keep the irons I have and just pull the shafts and replace them with kbs 90 or DG shafts so I don't have to worry about this since all the problems are with the epoxy from taylormade or just sell them, then buy new? I'm thinking of going with the pull them/install method by golfsmith just to be safe..

edit: I thought I had them sold but another guy backed out on me again.. So just seeing what to do.

Last edited:
Anyone get the skinny on the shafts, i'm not sure how they can be compromised i thought steel shafts could be pulled tons of times.

I have a question for you all. Do I keep the irons I have and just pull the shafts and replace them with kbs 90 or DG shafts so I don't have to worry about this since all the problems are with the epoxy from taylormade or just sell them, then buy new? I'm thinking of going with the pull them/install method by golfsmith just to be safe..

edit: I thought I had them sold but another guy backed out on me again.. So just seeing what to do.

If you like them, keep them unless all the problems just weigh to heavy on your mind like they did mine. They are great irons if you take out the issues. If you get the shafts in there from a 3rd party, I imagine you will be set like Jello.

Oh man, that's bad news, but I'm glad TM is being so responsive. ESPECIALLY since I just received my R9s Tuesday. It's been too hot and/or stormy here to even take them to the range yet. When I unpacked them I twisted on the heads a little, but I've got a question/observation or two, I guess...

I'd like to know more about their "shafts compromised" statement. Is it the shaft, the epoxy, or the assembly that is the fault?

Assembly - I have seen lower-end clubs that have just the barest amount of epoxy on the very end of the shaft -- nowhere near the amount there should be. Way back when, I built several sets of irons using components and techniques detailed by Ralph Maltby at Golfworks, and the epoxy should goosh out of the hosel a bit when you shaft the club. Also, the chrome on the end of the shaft needs to be sandpapered off before applying the epoxy so it will grip.

Epoxy - Incorrect mixing of the two elements can cause failure, as can using the wrong type of epoxy for the job.

Shafts - What's up with this? Are shafts breaking?

I'd *really* like to hear something definitive out of TaylorMade on this problem. Makes me leery of my own purchase, too. And those are some of the sweetest irons I've ever hit. I know they stand behind their product, but the problem shouldn't be there in the first place.

Last edited:
i think it was a crack in one of the shafts that forced that one apart and the epoxy failed other than that i def say keep the irons i havent had any other problems with them, as for that pull the stock shafts and put KBS tour black nickel shafts in them

Back