How good do you THINK you can shoot?

derelict

In the trees
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
I think about this all the time... I play golf to enjoy myself.. try not to be too intense. But almost every round, I leave thinking... man, I left at least 10 or __ insert your number here strokes that round... errant tee shots, mis-chips... pulled putts... sissy putts...

I think that if I could spend more time on the course and at the range to hone in my God given talent, I could be shooting so much better...

So I wonder, how many of you truly believe you should be shooting XX when you are shooting YY?

I think at my level, I could break 100, but gotta get rid of them snowmen..

I should be shooting mid-low 70's occasionally. Lack of birdies and doubles keep me away from that.

I'm consistenly in the low 80's high 70's these days. If not for one or two bad holes a round I could easily be in the mid 70's range. I still have the occassional brain fart and rush through shots at times. But I have lowered my handicap almost 4 strokes this season over last and most of it has come from putting in double time on the short game and putting.

I had an awesome lesson this evening. Something I really needed. Such simple fixes too. Anyway I ask what he thought I should be shooting based on what he saw. He said 70's. I said WTF? Lol I've never been anywhere near that low. Guess he wants me to come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on a self imposed ban from playing golf until I go back and start taking lessons again, which should be start after labor day. Too many wasted shots as a hacker. I think everyone has the ability to shoot in the 70s or at least the low 80s. Seeing people shoot these scores, they make it look so effortless whereas the rest of us make the game look so hard hacking it up on the course. I don't want to be doing that next year.

I think I've got the game to shoot right around even par. There aren't any holes at my course that I cannot make par or birdie on so it's just a matter of eliminating mistakes and putting it all together on the course. I've been sitting at -1 thru 4 and then a minor disaster struck. I've been shooting high 70s lately and really feel that my game is close to getting to a steady 5 hdcp soon.

Are you saying how many strokes are left out there because of poorly played shots?

I average 3 3putts per round. And I normally shoot 74-79, so I dont really know.

I know I can break par. But my short game needs to be sharper than what it is, and so does my putting.

I think I could be a mid to low 80s golfer with the occasional sub 80 round if I had more time to put effort into it. When I've gotten to play weekly, I've shot a couple of mid-80s so its not too much of a stretch. Given how much (or little in this case) I put into it though, I'm lucky to get the high 80s low 90s scores I've been shooting this year.

I don't do myself favors though by playing different courses about every time I tee it up either.

Should be at par. Lack of focus at times is what gets me.

I truely believe I could shoot under par with a little work. The last two rounds I've had I've shot 70(1 under) and I bogied the last three holes coming in on the last round. My distance is good, my wedge play is solid, but just like everyone, I throw a 3-6 shots a round away. It's dumb mistakes and a few 3 putts that cost me. My short game is above average but I still leave shots out there and just waste shots with the putter. I'm having a putting/chipping green put in my backyard this month, so I'll have some extra time to work on it!

i break par every now and then and i shoot sub 80 frequently although recently my game has been disagreeing with me, if i got more time on the range and course working not just playing maybe one day i will break into the 60's, maybe

Have a putting green...and it helps in that it gets you out putting...just like a lawn gets you out chipping and pitching or a field gets you out swinging....but there is some sort of switch that is hard to account for when the time comes to bring it on the course. I can say the same as all of you...I could shave 2-3 strokes here...2-3 more there and then....I'm shooting par! Buy why don't I? Time, skill, coaching, a job, kids, a wife...IDK...all I know is that one day as a 10 1/2 hadicapper...I will be single digets...why? IDK

I know I should and could be shooting in the 70's. Putting and stupid mistakes are keeping me away. I'd like to blame it on new irons but I know it's my lack of confidence.

Usually shoot low to mid 80s, but a couple summers ago when I was playing 2-3 times a week I was shooting low to mid 70s. The feel for the short game and putting gets to me. I spend zero time practicing and only get to play once every week at most now, so I am no where as good around the greens as I could be and probably should be. 3 putts and chip shots that still leave you with long putts will kill you. Gotta be able to scramble.

I think I will eventually be able to get under 80 often. My ball striking is improving a good deal and once I stop leaving so many numbers out there due to short game and putting errors I should be there. Better than that might be tough in my case.

I have the shots and ability to be in the 70's, unfortunately I lack the consistency.

When playing.....(got a bulged disc right now, trying to strengthen the back before I go back to playing every week) anywho, I shoot in the mid 70 to around 82, with the occasional low 70. A round that I wish I could of gotten off the tee better was on Fathers Day. I shot a one over 72 with 6 birdies and 1 eagle. My putting that day was lights out, basically calling all my putts. Another what if day though. The head pro I was playing with was like, "dude, hit your 3 wood off the tee and you shoot mid 60s." Oh well!

I've shot an 85 before, so I think I can shoot half bogey golf if it all works out. So an 81 on a par 72 for me. I just want to break 90 again though, actually! Or break 100 most of the time, how about that?

I think I could shoot in the low to mid 70s if I devoted enough time to practice. The hard part is finding the time to practice at least 30 minutes every day.

I should be able to make mid-80's- so 10-12 shots less. I don't have the distance off the tee for much better than that.

You have to believe it! Let me share my story from this week to explain what happened to me.

I saw a congrats announcement on my coach's Facebook wall to a woman who recently played in a FL/GA match. She is from middle GA and appears to be in her 50's like me. She also has a FB page so I looked her up. Then I decided to look up her handicap. It was a 1.3! Now that intrigued me.

So I chatted with my coach about how I wanted to be as good as her. He told me that I COULD be better than her because I am stronger and I listen better. Psychological BOOST. He is just using that psychology to make me a better player but hey it worked. I went out and shot my best score ever (77) yesterday.

I believed on every shot and every putt yesterday. I was so focused. When I messed up, I just said that's ok. You have game to fix this mistake.

The power of positive thinking along with determination and LESSONS will make such a difference. Remove those doubts and fears and believe in yourself guys!

I have no doubt KellyBo can reach her goals. She is a very determined Lady and has some serious skills to hone. If she makes up her mine to become a 1 or 2 handicapper, then she will do it. She hits the long ball, has good iron skills, and her putting when on is hotter than a two dollar pistol. She has a highly skilled golf coach who has faith in her and with Kelly's positive belief in herself, I have no doubt she will reach her goal.

My goal is to average 74 - 75 on a regular basis. I have one more physical problem to eliminate ( knee surgery) before I can reach that plateau. I have shot several rounds in the low to high seventy's over the past years. I know I can do it however it will take dedication to reach my personal goal. I have committed to practicing my short game four days a week. I believe that is where my scores will come from. My wedge game is coming around to better than average. My largest obstacle was the effort it took to overcome the huge swing change I needed to modify. It's truly amazing how a person can achieve a goal when they put their whole heart in the effort. I will be working with my swing coach as required until my goal is obtained.... Good luck to all golfers in this forum with your individual goals. If you believe it, work hard at it, you can achieve it. Don't let anyone ever tell you different. You can achieve whatever you dream with hard work, and earnest desire....

Last edited:
If I improved my tees shots and short game (distance to the cup), I think I could get in the mid 80's pretty easily.

All I need to do is improve on my drives, iron play, fairway woods, wedges and putters and I think I will be able to get in the low 100's....thats my goal!

Back