What is the scariest thing you witnessed or happened on the golf course?

Pringles

waywardpoints
Reaction score
Handicap
So the most embarrassing thing on the golf course thread got me thinking about what is the scariest thing that you have seen or has happened to you on the course. We all know how great this game is there are so many great memories but sometimes crazy stuff happens. There are three heart stopping moments I can recall.

1) I remember hitting a drive a fairway over and had to go over a teebox to get back into my fairway. I got a little over confident and thinned a ball right over another groups cart and it scared the heck out of me.

2) The second was on fathers day 2 years ago up in Wisconsin. We played a course where #1 tee box was right next to #10 tee box but #10 was about 20 yards to the left and 20 yards ahead. My uncle snapped hooked a drive over a group of ladies teeing off and once again my heart dropped.

3) The last time was when I was working at my home course and got a phone call saying a guy passed out on the green. I had to get the ambulance out to the 2nd hole and the paramedics worked on him for 20 minutes and finally got a pulse. So scary sitting with his friend assuring him that things will be OK.

I don't mean for this to be depressing but this definitely brought up some memories that I hope no one experiences but is a part of golf.

On a lighter note, my buddy got hit in the stomach by Bubba Watson's tee ball at the Ryder Cup a couple years ago haha

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

To be honest the most embarrassing thing to happen to me was also the scariest, when I got hit I don't remember getting hit, just waking up a minute or so later with my hand on my face, pulled it off to only see blood and couldn't see out of my left eye so I thought I lost it or broke an orbital bone or something, luckily it was just because I had blood from the cut in my eye covering my eyeball. Very lucky that I had glasses on the protect the blow, and none of the shattered glass got in my eye. But i learned my lesson....never tell a UF girl to "roll tide" and expect to get away with it... she might "accidentally swing"

Line drive shank hitting me in my temple.

A buddy and I were playing in Wisconsin at Black Wolf Run with two guys we were paired up with, the one guy was wearing tan shorts and about 3 holes in he must have "sharted" because the evidence was there for all to see. It was scary because I blacked out for about 6 holes as I can't remember a good bit of the round, I do remember having a really hard time suppressing my laughter.

You hit it or did a buddy?

Another group on the course....long time ago when I was in the Marine Corps (on base track). Luckily I wore glasses at the time so they took the brunt of the impact.

A two foot right to left putt for birdie.

Almost stepping on a copperhead. Then tried to walk around it and almost stepped on its buddy.

Also on the range my son was behind me off the hitting area we were taking turns hitting from (it was a busy day). My son was playing around with his golf club and stuck it in the path of mine. My 8 iron shaft was bent and it literally decapitated his 7 iron head from its shaft. The 7i head bounced of the mat and hit me in the shin leaving a nice bruise. But I was really afraid for a split second that my son was going to be seriously injured. He got a stern talk and was grounded for a few days. Hopefully he will be much more aware/safe on the course and range.

A buddy and I were playing in Wisconsin at Black Wolf Run with two guys we were paired up with, the one guy was wearing tan shorts and about 3 holes in he must have "sharted" because the evidence was there for all to see. It was scary because I blacked out for about 6 holes as I can't remember a good bit of the round, I do remember having a really hard time suppressing my laughter.
This is phenomenal... I literally laughed out loud reading it.

Another group on the course....long time ago when I was in the Marine Corps (on base track). Luckily I wore glasses at the time so they took the brunt of the impact.
Sunglasses: more than just for looks.

Cobras. Not the golf brand but the reptile. And no animal bite serum.

I wasn't there when it happened, but I had been planning to get in 9 at Penmar that day.... I guess it doesn't count since it wasn't me, but I bet whomever was playing that hole probably had a mess in his pants.

635611788560703141-IMG-20150305-155654.jpg

I have to agree with dwchockey13 my most embarrassing moment was also the scariest. Hit a shot trying to go over a tree and hit the tree, the ball came back at us and went into the cart my buddy was in, if he wasn't paying attention and had jumped out he would have been hit in his head. I am thankful that he wasn't and thinking about it still scares the crap out of me.

There was a hedge row (about 5 feet) between the course/driving range, and the parking lot at my old home course.
Regulars knew to take it reaaally slow coming through the hedges to look for crossing cars/trucks.
A non-regular came strolling through the cut in the hedges right in front of some poor girl that was in town for a school.
She flat smashed him with her CTZ and he went up on the hood. I saw it coming at the very last second and couldn't even utter a sound in warning. It was pretty slow speed, but he was shook up and she was freaking devastated; she felt horrible (although I maintain it was his fault).
Scary as heck though. I think he made out with a twisted ankle and a skinned elbow or something.
The hedges are at about 3 feet now.

There was a hedge row (about 5 feet) between the course/driving range, and the parking lot at my old home course.
Regulars knew to take it reaaally slow coming through the hedges to look for crossing cars/trucks.
A non-regular came strolling through the cut in the hedges right in front of some poor girl that was in town for a school.
She flat smashed him with her CTZ and he went up on the hood. I saw it coming at the very last second and couldn't even utter a sound in warning. It was pretty slow speed, but he was shook up and she was freaking devastated; she felt horrible (although I maintain it was his fault).
Scary as heck though. I think he made out with a twisted ankle and a skinned elbow or something.
The hedges are at about 3 feet now.
Wow that's crazy

Scariest for me was playing on a local par 3 course when I was home for the summer in college. The sky was getting kind of dark around the time we were making the turn, but the clouds didn't really have the look of a thunderstorm (it's usually really obvious here) and they hadn't blown the horn. So we all just figured some rain was moving in and we didn't mind playing in the rain, so we went off the back. Somewhere around #12 or #13, lightning started popping all over the place. And we're not talking lightning that is miles off in the distance and tells you that it's about time to shut it down. We're talking multiple strikes within 200 yards or so within about 30 seconds. We dropped our clubs on the spot and sprinted--along with everyone else out on the course--back to the clubhouse, which fortunately wasn't too far away since it was just a par 3 course and all.

I found a dead guy in his car in the parking lot after a scramble tournament that he had played in. Motor was running.

I forgot to mention about the guy who passed out and I had to get the ambulance out to him...the two some playing with the guy who had a heart attack and his friend came in 4 hours later and said "Hey man we just finished out round...can we get a rain check? That whole situation really messed up our concentration"

I rolled a golf cart off a side hill......was going pretty fast and I dropped a ball and let go of the wheel to try and grab it and the wheels snapped to one side and the cart rolled violently....I was the only one in the cart at the time (thank goodness) clubs went flying and I could barely walk for a day or so.

I was working on the course when a fight broke out on the course. Police was called, one guy was arrested and two were banned for life. I also got a call that a cart had driven off a bridge. Both guys were scared but unhurt. They were banned as well. Lots of calls of hitting into others etc. Golf is an honorable game often played by less than honorable people.

I found a dead guy in his car in the parking lot after a scramble tournament that he had played in. Motor was running.
How awful - for both of you. Not to make any light of it, but as a golfer, I'm at least glad it didn't happen before he played.

Last edited:
Two come to mind.
1) Playing with my wife and another couple we golfed with all the time in San Antonio. I swung too hard off the tee on a par five and pull skulled a liner directly at the girls who were climbing up to their tee box up on a knoll about 50 yards ahead and (what should've been far enough) left. Their backs were to us and altho we both screamed at em, they would've had zero time to find and react to the ball anyway. Thankfully it slammed into the trash receptacle next to their ball wash just before it got to them. Literally, (it was one of those diamond mesh steel cans and the ball punched through one side and ended up inside the can).
2) Alamogordo NM. I'm sure I screamed like a little girl as anyone familiar with whip scorpions (vinegaroons) will surely understand. Scary ugly arachnids that actually hunt and eat scorpions. About mid round I dug my wind breaker out of my bag and as I slid my arm into the sleeve one was hiding in there. Bit me pretty good, wrist swelled up right away and it hurt to bejeesus, but fortunately they aren't poisonous - that's about the only thing they aren't. But the worst of it (besides scaring the crap outta me) was they spray this awful sticky vinegar smelling stuff when threatened. I never could get the smell out of that windbreaker and took forever just to get the smell off my wrist.

Saw a guy in the group behind us on a par 5 hit his 3 wood and the ball ricocheted off a small tree 5ft in front of him and hit him in the cheek bone. Knocked unconscious, missed his eye by an inch, came to and was carted to the parking lot where he started throwing up after seeing the blood on his face and passed out again before the rescue came to take him to the hospital. Luckily there was no permanent damage, but he always punches out from behind trees now.

Without question, the scariest thing I've ever seen on the golf course was in a pond off the 18th hole at my first official THP event, the Atlanta Tour Van Stop.

Back