How Does State Sport Love Work?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Would love to hear thoughts on this because it's always kind of baffled me.

In Ohio, we've got Browns/Bengals and Reds/Indians.... And while it's always interesting when fans of either one get together there's a bit of ribbing, it's usually no big deal (plus they both usually agree about 'eff the Steelers' or something like that). Yet when it comes to Ohio State, people get downright livid at times if they meet someone who 1 - Doesn't care about the school, or 2 - Doesn't like the school's various sports programs.

Two questions here, I guess;

1 - What makes the college obsession so much more passionate than the professional sporting teams?
2 - Is this similar in other States?

I honest to god don't understand it, which is why I'm asking. I am starting to realize that my own personal rivalries (see: Miami vs OSU in hockey) are better left quiet as it really irks people when i talk about not caring for OSU.

The state of Alabama has no professional Sports teams.

Because of that, all eyes are focused on Auburn and Alabama for sports.

Easy peasy.

Easy peasy.

This is it for Oklahoma as well, its change a bit with the Thunder, but the Sooners still rule the roost in the state.

Out here people are far more interested in Utah and BYU than the Jazz or Real Salt Lake. I avoid any Utah/BYU talk because both sides have the most unreasonable people I've ever dealt with.

Sorry Dan, I don't get it either

College sports are a lot of "who cares" around here - we don't have a state school with a big program. So, it's a big flipped here. You're likely to see someone amazed that you're not a Red Sox or Pats fan.

This is all, of course, assuming you're born and raised here. If you came from somewhere else, why would the local team be "your" team?

In Ohio, we've got Browns/Bengals and Reds/Indians.... And while it's always interesting when fans of either one get together there's a bit of ribbing, it's usually no big deal (plus they both usually agree about 'eff the Steelers' or something like that). Yet when it comes to Ohio State, people get downright livid at times if they meet someone who 1 - Doesn't care about the school, or 2 - Doesn't like the school's various sports programs.

1 - What makes the college obsession so much more passionate than the professional sporting teams?

I honest to god don't understand it, which is why I'm asking. I am starting to realize that my own personal rivalries (see: Miami vs OSU in hockey) are better left quiet as it really irks people when i talk about not caring for OSU.

Here is the easy way to figure it out.

Take all logic and rationale. Now throw them in a pit fire. Now take that pit fire and stomp on a gas can to shoot gasoline straight into it hard. Now add to that a woman PMS'ing, a baby crying and a political argument. Now take some alcohol and crack cocaine. This gives you college sports.

A place where people pay ridiculous money to go, to then pay more money to support a game made up of teenagers all because reminiscing about those days is better than the current.

Im not knocking it. Frankly I dont care. But I will just never understand the infatuation that this country has for college athletics.

I'll cheer for any Texas college team if they are having success in their respective sport but I have no passion for it.

Other than that, been a Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember since I've lived within a few miles of where they've always played. Family influence impacts it also.

Take all logic and rationale. Now throw them in a pit fire. Now take that pit fire and stomp on a gas can to shoot gasoline straight into it hard. Now add to that a woman PMS'ing, a baby crying and a political argument. Now take some alcohol and crack cocaine. This gives you college sports.

A place where people pay ridiculous money to go, to then pay more money to support a game made up of teenagers all because reminiscing about those days is better than the current.

Im not knocking it. Frankly I dont care. But I will just never understand the infatuation that this country has for college athletics.

Yeah that about covers it!

I think it's because the college aspect in general has some bigger connection to the school than it does for professional sports. There are some people who root for a school for not much reason, but I'd think a good majority either went to the school, grew up with/around the school, or had family go to the school. It brings in school/state/city pride along with sports.

JB hit it I believe. Colleges are much more personal to many than a pro team they may have no personal connection to.

Exceptions might be teams like The Yankees, Dodgers (going back. To Brooklyn days) Redskins where rooting passions have been passed down for generations.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CT is kind of weird for sports teams, you get New York vs Boston in just about everything, and even though they aren't around anymore I would guess the Whalers are still one of the most popular teams in the state. For college its mostly Uconn basketball, basketball capital of the world mind you, but yeah CT is just weird when it comes to sports teams I guess that's why I chose to stay away from the local teams and just randomly choose my favorites

It definitely depends on what part of the country you are from. As Ohio State has had a ton of success over the years, they have a huge passionate fan base. The North East on the other hand is much more into Professional sports than college.

I have found living in the Bay area most people only really follow when a team is doing really well. Take the Warriors, 2 years ago I was getting free tickets offered to me regularly, now people would slit my throat for them. Same thing happened with the 49ers and Giants. There are hardcore fans that follow each team with passion, but I don't seem to hear all that much casual talk unless they are winning.

In Arizona, people just love whomever is doing best that year. This is the epitome of bandwagon states.

This 10,000%! I couldn't agree more!

College sports are a lot of "who cares" around here - we don't have a state school with a big program. So, it's a big flipped here. You're likely to see someone amazed that you're not a Red Sox or Pats fan.

This is all, of course, assuming you're born and raised here. If you came from somewhere else, why would the local team be "your" team?
Idk to much about that, football? yes... but I've been to some BC/BU hockey games as well as the beanpot... those are some insane rivalry games, and the schools just HATE each other... but maybe that's specifically Boston, and not Mass as a whole

I think it's because the college aspect in general has some bigger connection to the school than it does for professional sports. There are some people who root for a school for not much reason, but I'd think a good majority either went to the school, grew up with/around the school, or had family go to the school. It brings in school/state/city pride along with sports.

So, let's use an Ohio example here.

Your parents are both from Ohio, one from Cleveland (went to OSU for school) and one from Cincinnati (went to UC for school). You attended UC and currently live in Cincinnati, yet have somehow become a DIEhard OSU fan.

Why, in this case, would OSU supersede UC? Is it because OSU is more competitive? This is where I really don't get it... Or why the guys at Miami would stay in during Saturday to watch OSU rather than go to watch Big Ben destroy the MAC. It's very, very confusing to me.

CT is kind of weird for sports teams, you get New York vs Boston in just about everything, and even though they aren't around anymore I would guess the Whalers are still one of the most popular teams in the state. For college its mostly Uconn basketball, basketball capital of the world mind you, but yeah CT is just weird when it comes to sports teams I guess that's why I chose to stay away from the local teams and just randomly choose my favorites
Ah the Heartford Whalers, I loved those Jerseys, and still have a hat from them when we took a family trip up to CT and caught a game

I think college sports foster a sense of "my team" because you paid to go there and maybe from a family perspective that's what you were told to route for. Success plays a big role, bc if the school sucks or is mediocre at best you won't hear all the chest beating/thumping.

Easy peasy.

Same as Kentucky. A lot of our "Sunday NFL" bars are filled with fans of lots of different teams for different reasons, the majority being Bengals fans.

Colleges...I pretty much root for all Texas teams except when they play University of Texas and then I root for the Longhorns

Pro - I have been a die hard Cowboys fan all of my life....even when they are ******(like now).

Growing up near Dallas, I have always been a Rangers, Mavericks and Stars fan.....I support all Texas Teams...Texans, Astros, Rockets and Spurs....unless they are playing one of the above Dallas area teams.

I would absolutely love to see a Cowboys/Texans Superbowl.....probably will never happen...but I can hope.

Your parents are both from Ohio, one from Cleveland (went to OSU for school) and one from Cincinnati (went to UC for school). You attended UC and currently live in Cincinnati, yet have somehow become a DIEhard OSU fan.

Why, in this case, would OSU supersede UC? Is it because OSU is more competitive? This is where I really don't get it... Or why the guys at Miami would stay in during Saturday to watch OSU rather than go to watch Big Ben destroy the MAC. It's very, very confusing to me.

The Cincy one I can't tell ya. Because cinci is competitive and in a big conference. The only thing I can say about going to Miami but still watching OSU, is a lot of the people that went to Miami weren't associated with Miami until they were 18 and decided to go there. Most likely at that point had grown up watching OSU sports. It was the same way for OU. Most of the campus was from Columbus or at least Ohio. OU games aren't shown on TV, so you grow up an OSU fan and then pretty much just happen to go to OU. I chose it to "go away" for school, but still be semi close to home and remain in state. I didn't want my parents being able to just stop by haha, and I liked the atmosphere better at OU. But going there didn't all of a sudden supersede the fact that I had been on OSU sports fan my entire life leading up to that.

It helps big time that except for the random game every couple years, that schools like Miami or OU don't really play OSU or compete against each other. And to be fair, I root for both. It's not like I didn't root for OU because I was an OSU fan. it did become weird when OU and OSU played each other though.

Dan,
I am quoting myself here, because you are trying to use logic and reasoning.
There is no place for that in college athletics. :D

In Montana, we don't have any professional sports teams, but we have a bitter in-state rivalry between the two major colleges. The colleges are both FCS, but they hate each other. This will show my personal bias in that rivalry--which I really don't care too much about because I went to an out-of-state school that I support irrationally (but futilely)--but the rivalry heated up when the University of Montana won won several national championships from the mid-1990s to the early 2000s and gained a large number of bandwagon fans, and a huge influx of donations. That led to them building one of the better stadiums in FCS, leading to more fan support, leading to a superiority complex that hasn't necessarily been justified over the last decade or so. Really, both teams should admit that they've been owned by Eastern Washington for the most part lately.

Dan,
I am quoting myself here, because you are trying to use logic and reasoning.
There is no place for that in college athletics. :D

haha, I think there is loads of truth in what you said, and I laughed a lot at it -- But I am trying to decide whether I need to start being apologetic for thinking strange traditions, 50 year old songs, and annoying chants are all reaaaaaaaaaaally stupid.

college sports are a lot like family. history. tradition. rivalry. passion. baseless fervor. pro sports can certainly spark passion, but nothing like college. and the interesting thing about college sports is that you can be incredibly passionate about a school that you didn't even attend, sometimes more rabid than those who have the degree.

i for one love college football. i think pro football is incredibly boring, though the ratings confirm that i am in the minority. i don't get into any other sports, so i can't speak to those.

Back