THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Todays thoughts...

Lets talk about our sponsor True Temper. I know a lot of you did the shaft fit on their website awhile back and we all know having the right shafts in you driver can make the world of difference but I think most people often neglect their irons and just take whatever the stock offering in most cases. You use your irons more than your driver, and you have more of them, why is this?

Do you have any True Temper products in your equipment now? If so, were you fit for them or were they just what came in them?

The only True Temper product I currently have in play is S300's in my wedges because thats just what they came with and they actually don't match my regular iron shafts. The DG Spinner intrigues me as I have never tried a true wedge shaft.

I have 1 true temper shaft in my 60° vokey sm5. It was the shaft that came with the club when I bought it.

This is a great topic jdtox! A lot of people think that the standard shafts are the only option at times, but being fit for the right type of shaft makes all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2 of their shafts now. I was fit into s300 shafts in both of my wedges.

I have the stock Dynamic Gold's in my wedges and those are the only TT products in my bag currently. I have never been fit for shafts in my Driver and Fairway woods other than for the appropriate flex of the stock sticks. My irons had a few KBS offerings available when I got those with no TT options available. I would love to try out what their Shaftfit has put me into!

One thing about THP events that hopefully you all get to experience is range time. Usually THPers have every spot on the range filled and all the bags are full of awesome gear and awesome custom headcovers and all the goodies that get us golf lunatics goin. It's a fun setting. Usually guys are just hitting balls to loosen up or try someone else's clubs or even getting time on Flight Scope if its present. It really is a fun relaxed setting and a great opportunity to meet those you haven't met yet
Havent made an official THP event yet, but I can second this just from the unofficial ones I have been to. Range time is some of the most fun you can have, just talking with fellow THPers and hitting any club you can imagine.

Todays thoughts...

Lets talk about our sponsor True Temper. I know a lot of you did the shaft fit on their website awhile back and we all know having the right shafts in you driver can make the world of difference but I think most people often neglect their irons and just take whatever the stock offering in most cases. You use your irons more than your driver, and you have more of them, why is this?

Do you have any True Temper products in your equipment now? If so, were you fit for them or were they just what came in them?

The only True Temper product I currently have in play is S300's in my wedges because thats just what they came with and they actually don't match my regular iron shafts. The DG Spinner intrigues me as I have never tried a true wedge shaft.

Currently I am not using true temper shafts in any clubs, but I am using Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum in my 5H, 6H, 7i-GW and those are owned by true temper so if we count those 7 out of 14 clubs have them. I was not fit for them, I had a choice between a few different shafts and what they were classified as (spin, launch) seemed to be more of what I needed so I went with them and have been quite happy with them! I have had in the past wedges that had the DG spinner and I really enjoyed them.

One thing about THP events that hopefully you all get to experience is range time. Usually THPers have every spot on the range filled and all the bags are full of awesome gear and awesome custom headcovers and all the goodies that get us golf lunatics goin. It's a fun setting. Usually guys are just hitting balls to loosen up or try someone else's clubs or even getting time on Flight Scope if its present. It really is a fun relaxed setting and a great opportunity to meet those you haven't met yet

The range is one of the best parts of a THP event. Don't get me wrong the event itself is awesome in it's own right. But the range before hand is something special. Friends that haven't seen each other in a while shooting the breeze. While meeting new friends and hitting gear. It's just great.

Todays thoughts...

Had TT in my older irons because that is what came with them, honestly haven't given a ton of thoughts to irons but I would love to get a tour and find some good ones. The wedge shafts interest me a ton, would love a low launching wedge shaft since I have major issues hitting low wedges. Want to try out the XP's as well.

I have TT s300 in all my irons and wedges. Usually I get fit into x100 but those don't agree with me. The s400 is a good product as well. I am not a big fan of the spinner wedge shafts. I prefer to play the same shafts in all my wedges and irons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have TT in my wedge shafts, 1 stock and 1 bad a$$ black tour issue one. I was not fit for them, but have been fit for a few TT items.

I have TT s300 in all my irons and wedges. Usually I get fit into x100 but those don't agree with me. The s400 is a good product as well. I am not a big fan of the spinner wedge shafts. I prefer to play the same shafts in all my wedges and irons.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you do any hardstepping at all?

Do you do any hardstepping at all?
No hard or soft stepping, to be honest I didn't know what that was until about 3 or 4 months ago.

For along time I played rifle flighted 6.5 in my long irons and 7.0 in my short irons and wedges. These were the original rifles before TT bought them.

I currently have the s300's in my wedges and have a DG spinner in my backup 56* wedge

Got another 100ball session in tonight after 50last night and lesson tomorrow morning. I'll be in great shape come event time

As I sit here at work this morning staring out my office window looking at a snow covered TPC Michigan, I can't help but daydream about #THPRegionalRivalry It's seriously, its all I can think about!

So my question is... if selected to represent your state in this event, what ball will your strategy for be teeing up on the first hole? Will you try and hit a bomb to try and set the tone of the round, or will you scale back slightly and slow things down to ensure hitting the fairway safely?

I have had the opportunity to play the course a few times always from longer tees than where we will be playing from for this event. Since the fairway runs out and I would like a fairway lie for my second shot I would be hitting a smooth 2 hybrid off the tee. The aim would be left side of the fairway and about 250yds total distance.

As I sit here at work this morning staring out my office window looking at a snow covered TPC Michigan, I can't help but daydream about #THPRegionalRivalry It's seriously, its all I can think about!

So my question is... if selected to represent your state in this event, what ball will your strategy for be teeing up on the first hole? Will you try and hit a bomb to try and set the tone of the round, or will you scale back slightly and slow things down to ensure hitting the fairway safely?

#1 fairway is pretty generous so I'll give it a rip and see what happens

To follow up, if I do execute the tee ball like I want to, then I am going for the green with a 3w with a big old draw.

I have found when I try and do the "smart" thing it usually ends up worse than if I just hit driver. So I'm hitting driver. I think its a par 5 anyways isn't it?

This is not really a 5 month out question in my opinion. It's a day of or day before type of question depending on how you've been hitting the ball and the format. If the opponent is in the weeds or trees, you sure are as hell better hit it in the fairway.

That being said I'll answer the question based on previous stroke play tournament experience on #1 tee. Unless it's super tight (it's not) I'll more than likely have driver in my hands. Confidence is king ...so is experience.

Nice smooth first swing down the middle. Never want to start off your round with a bad 1st tee ball and scrambling right from the start. Would definitely still hit driver though and take my normal swing.

This is not really a 5 month out question in my opinion. It's a day of or day before type of question depending on how you've been hitting the ball and the format. If the opponent is in the weeds or trees, you sure are as hell better hit it in the fairway.

Agree there are many variables to this question; the state of your game, opponents drive, confidence level, heck.. even weather, however I am just trying to generate some excitement and get the thread back on the front page!

Driver unless there is a chance that I can run thru the fairway. In which case I will club down to keep the ball in the fairway. On the flyovers it looks like there is chance, but having not played the course can't say for sure.

Big rip with 3wd I want a fairway lie and I'm not going for the green in two any way so its position off the tee not yardage

I'm taking a swing with driver. Big face, hard to miss it.

Driver on #1 at Boulder every time. No point not to.

Back