Tom Wishon Golf - Sterling Irons Single Length Set

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Bryson DeChambeau brought the idea of playing single length irons in to the spotlight last year as he became the 5th player to win both the NCAA Championship and the US Amateur in the same year. Looks like the folks over at Tom Wishon Golf have produced a new set for consumers if they want to give it a shot.

From Tom Wishon Golf

Wishon Golf has used its design and engineering experience to create the most technologically sound interpretation of the identical feel concept of single length set design with the Sterling Single Length irons. The benefit of single length construction is better shot consistency achieved through each club in the set being the same length, same shaft weight, same total weight, same swingweight, same balance point to offer the same exact swing feel for each club. But with that in previous single length sets has come a loss of low loft iron distance, too much distance in the high loft irons/wedges and a compressed distance gap between clubs. Sterling offers the best in single length design by matching high COR face technology to deliver the right distance in the low loft clubs, with a shorter 8-iron length for the single length to ensure proper distance in the high loft clubs. Sterling single length is a fascinating departure from traditional incremental length sets to potentially offer improved shot consistency for all golfer types.

Sterling-Irons-set.jpg

• Staff
I won't lie, I'm pretty intrigued by them. Not sure what I would see out of them in terms of performance vs what is in my bag now.

Its an interesting concept for sure. If they have managed to figure out how to make it work so that clubs actually go different distances, it may catch on who knows. I myself, not a fan.

Very intriguing. An experiment with this would be cool to see how they perform. Sounds like some time on the range/course woukd be needed to dial in distances

Its an interesting concept for sure. If they have managed to figure out how to make it work so that clubs actually go different distances, it may catch on who knows. I myself, not a fan.

I have tested sets like this on 3 different occasions and have always struggled with gapping.
Hoping that changes, because I understand the intrigue, but I think when going for the masses (which is not the case here), it would fail.

I have tested sets like this on 3 different occasions and have always struggled with gapping.
Hoping that changes, because I understand the intrigue, but I think when going for the masses (which is not the case here), it would fail.

I would have assumed that for sure. Maybe something that could work for the senior market or people with lower back issues? Not sure, but I would imagine they would have to figure out something in each head that would change to make it work distance wise. Or maybe same length but different shafts throughout the set to change distances and flights?

I would have assumed that for sure. Maybe something that could work for the senior market or people with lower back issues? Not sure, but I would imagine they would have to figure out something in each head that would change to make it work distance wise. Or maybe same length but different shafts throughout the set to change distances and flights?

Technically loft is the reasoning here. And with different lofts the ball goes different distances assuming every iron is designed and weighted the same.
The problem I ran into, is I am not a robot and when I get steep, I saw irons going virtually the same distance. Something I dont see with different lengths.

I won't lie, I'm pretty intrigued by them. Not sure what I would see out of them in terms of performance vs what is in my bag now.

Same here. No idea how well this works but I would be lying to say I don't want to try.

If I could get results out of a set of clubs that were all the length of my 8 iron, I'd be in love

If I could get results out of a set of clubs that were all the length of my 8 iron, I'd be in love

Me too, I have always pondered trying out something like this. The gap issue with coming steep (JB) is an issue I could not deal with.

interesting to see hwo it would stand up to "normal" irons performance wise

I'm not sure this would work, at least for me. At what length do they make the set at? I think, being a short guy, that setting up with a PW that's the length of my hybrid would feel EXTREMELY awkward, to say the least.

Technically loft is the reasoning here. And with different lofts the ball goes different distances assuming every iron is designed and weighted the same.
The problem I ran into, is I am not a robot and when I get steep, I saw irons going virtually the same distance. Something I dont see with different lengths.

Why do you think that is? De-loft is de-loft regardless, correct?

Why do you think that is? De-loft is de-loft regardless, correct?

My guess would be speed, launch, and spin. Deloft too much, your launch will be lower. If you don't have enough speed to increase spin (and launch for that matter) then you're just going to hit low bullets.

As someone that struggles with long irons I would love to try something like this.

It worked for Bryson DeChambeau. But doesn't he have a funky swing / grip?

I would be much more intrigued if his clubs didnt look like a box set design from 1997. I am sorry, looks matter and Wishons clubs are just so pedestrian.

I've always wondered if it would help in ball striking consistency.

Similar things can happen with a traditional set. Getting too steep adding or delofting a club. And with the shorter length this should happen less frequently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

can't say I am really that intrigued by these. Cool concept but don't see these catching on.

Similar things can happen with a traditional set. Getting too steep adding or delofting a club. And with the shorter length this should happen less frequently.

Perhaps, but that was not my experience.
Keep in mind with longer length clubs, you will still see an increase in swing speed generally speaking.

I view it as this.
Take 4 irons.
A 5 iron and PW that are the same length.
A 5 iron and PW that are different length

If you are manipulating the loft to be closer on the same length clubs, you will have an issue with gapping, where as the different length clubs, should in theory still go different distances.

Im not saying that is what is going to happen to people, or even happened to me, but yes, the longer clubs will increase the speed of the club, which has a translation to the distance achieved.

This is a miss for me I guess. I don't really have any desire to try them. I like the fact that my wedges are shorter in length than my long irons.

Perhaps, but that was not my experience.
Keep in mind with longer length clubs, you will still see an increase in swing speed generally speaking.

I view it as this.
Take 4 irons.
A 5 iron and PW that are the same length.
A 5 iron and PW that are different length

If you are manipulating the loft to be closer on the same length clubs, you will have an issue with gapping, where as the different length clubs, should in theory still go different distances.

Im not saying that is what is going to happen to people, or even happened to me, but yes, the longer clubs will increase the speed of the club, which has a translation to the distance achieved.
From the video he stated his lofts are 5° instead of traditional 4°. I figured that he made the long irons stronger and the short irons larger gaps at 5°

I am very intrigued by these. No idea why I would see out of them but would love to try them

Super intrigued by this. Can't believe I've never thought about all of my irons being the same length.

Back