The first Par 4 Albatross in LPGA history

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Ha Na Jang aced the par-4 8th in the third round of the LPGA season opener in the Bahamas. According to the LPGA's Twitter account, Na used a 3-wood from 218 yards out to make the first ace on a par 4 in the tour's history. Unfortunately, Jang made her albatross before the TV cameras were rolling, but she recreated her reaction after signing for a 5-under 68.
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...gc-a-ha-na-jang-aces-par-4-8th-bahamas-013016

Just saw this on FB. Cool for her but a 218y par 4? C'mon man (woman).

Yeah, it could've at least been on a driver hole.

My son asked me the yardage on that one, when I told him 218 he said, "What the %^$#, in high school I never had a par 4 that short!" But still not a bad shot.

Yardage shouldn't take away from this accomplishment. Congrats to her on a great shot.

Fantastic shot, congratulations, but a little lame on the distance of a so called par 4!

I wonder if a hole in one is considered less impressive if it's a PW instead of a 6 iron?

I wonder if a hole in one is considered less impressive if it's a PW instead of a 6 iron?

No...but that's an "expected" range on a par 3 anything from 90 - 210.

I just honestly don't recall seeing par 4's less than 280 or so. When the VAST majority of players can hit the green (or have the distance to) on a hole from the tee....it shouldn't be a par 4.

No...but that's an "expected" range on a par 3 anything from 90 - 210.

I just honestly don't recall seeing par 4's less than 280 or so. When the VAST majority of players can hit the green (or have the distance to) on a hole from the tee....it shouldn't be a par 4.

Im not disagreeing completely, but to me it goes back to difficulty of all holes.
Let me use this scenario.
An amateur plays a par 72 that is short in nature and with virtually no trouble and shoots even par. A different player the next day shoots even par on the hardest course in the area. Does the easier course not equal even par? Sure slop ratings and handicap wise it is different, but its still shooting even par.

Or this scenario.
Lets say you come to a par 4 and its 231 to the pin all over water, but you can go left and there is a fairway to hit to a clean area and then have a short wedge in. The hole says 231, but the truth is, for almost all golfers, it will play longer.

See what I mean?
Im not saying its the same as holing out on a 415 yard hole, but I dont want to diminish what was done either. Its pretty incredible.

FWIW, I love holes like this that offer some risk reward, but I dont think their lengthening involved adding enough risk.

I am sure all of you have looked at the hole. Know the risk/reward, wind, and other factors involved. Too many intelligent people here to base their opinions solely on yardage right?

JB: yes, I get the differentiation and understand where you are coming from. I just think a 218 yard par 4 is cheesy....when someone can ace a par 4 using a 3w or hybrid it just holds less accomplishment for me.

I am sure all of you have looked at the hole. Know the risk/reward, wind, and other factors involved. Too many intelligent people here to base their opinions solely on yardage right?

Nope, I haven't. Saw a short clip on Facebook that showed water right / short right of green.

To me this is still a very tough par 3. Regardless of risk reward and other factors - the VAST majority of golfers shouldn't have the length to drive a par 4 green and that's what they've done here. It's not an island where it's do or die.

Have to say Jason Gore's Albatross at Torrey Pines on #18 way more spectacular and difficult though.

Regardless of the distance, she made an awesome shot.

Congrats on setting a record!

It's an amazing accomplishment, (heck I wish I had a HOI at ALL) but seeing that the SHORTEST Average Driving Distance on the LPGA in 2015 was 225.11 by Lisa McClosky. Ha Na Jang averages almost 255 off the tee. You'd have to think even the shortest driver on Tour, would probably still be hitting a 3 wood into this green at 218 years. At that yardage, if should have been a long Par 3, IMO.

Yardage shouldn't take away from this accomplishment. Congrats to her on a great shot.

I agree. She didn't make the hole a par 4, the tour did. Well done!

It's a heck of accomplishment and happy for her.

Great for her. For those who disagree with the par for that yardage, we have to remember that these are female golfers. Par 4 guidelines for women start at 211 yards.

Awesome good for her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

First off, congrats on the hole in one. An awesome feat on any hole.

Side note, kinda silly calling this a part 4.

Kudos to her. Very impressive imo
Hope the few that disagree that it shouldn't count because of the distance, if you'd have done it would you tell the record keeper not to count it because it wasn't long enough.
Come on, non of us would.

Tazz

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

Impressive regardless of yardage

Yeah, it was ONLY 218 yards. How many people on the forum have ever drained a 218 yard shot? Certainly not me. Congrats to her on the great accomplishment!

Yes, during the coverage today they discussed it and said they moved the tees up to 218.

The fact it was 218 for the ladies shouldn't take anything away, even if they can all get there with a 3 wood. On the PGA Tour you see drive-able par 4's weekly (or almost weekly) and sometimes you see guys hitting 3 woods or 5 woods into them with even the shortest hitters being able to drive the greens with driver. Kudos to her on a great shot. I sure would like to get one of these.

Regardless of distance, still a great accomplishment.

Back