Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I've had a love/hate relationship with this thread lol. But yesterday I finally broke down. The Apex CF16 have been tempting me for quite some time. I think it was the moment we made eye to cupface contact :).

Anyway i wanted to make sure it wasn't an emotional purchase; I went in with an open mind and hit some of the new offerings alongside this one and it was clear the Apex CF16 were the ones for me. Launch was tame, spin was great and distance/forgiveness was stellar. What was interesting though was what i got fit into shaft wise.
I've been playing C-Tapers 120S for the last 1.5 years. Pretty much when i started golfing. I won't spend too much on those details here but I was fit into True Temper DG TI S400s Hard-stepped once. Something about the way the extra weight felt and the way the shaft kicked actually increased my SS and yardage and reduced spin/launch a minimal amount but it was still a reduction. I know that's odd considering how the CTapers are built, but my hands just felt looser like I can just whip through impact relaxed.

Amazing how important fittings are even when you something has worked for you in the past. I plan on sharing more about the experience on another thread.

Moral of this story...I'll be joining the Apex CF team :).

Welcome aboard...

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a love/hate relationship with this thread lol. But yesterday I finally broke down. The Apex CF16 have been tempting me for quite some time. I think it was the moment we made eye to cupface contact :).

Anyway i wanted to make sure it wasn't an emotional purchase; I went in with an open mind and hit some of the new offerings alongside this one and it was clear the Apex CF16 were the ones for me. Launch was tame, spin was great and distance/forgiveness was stellar. What was interesting though was what i got fit into shaft wise.
I've been playing C-Tapers 120S for the last 1.5 years. Pretty much when i started golfing. I won't spend too much on those details here but I was fit into True Temper DG TI S400s Hard-stepped once. Something about the way the extra weight felt and the way the shaft kicked actually increased my SS and yardage and reduced spin/launch a minimal amount but it was still a reduction. I know that's odd considering how the CTapers are built, but my hands just felt looser like I can just whip through impact relaxed.

Amazing how important fittings are even when you something has worked for you in the past. I plan on sharing more about the experience on another thread.

Moral of this story...I'll be joining the Apex CF team :).

Good to hear! I will definitely try these out soon - with a reputable fitter. Are you going to start your own thread on your fitting experience or add it to an existing thread?

So I have purposely not been following this thread too closely, but my curiosity is getting the better of me lately, so if this has been discussed in the first 100 pages, please point me in the right direction.
First, for Jman, or anyone else who has played both, how do these compare to the ping Ie1? Specifically wondering about forgiveness, but also ball flight and spin?
Second, anyone playing the S wedge, and if so please share your thoughts. Thanks.
Hey Alan,

I really enjoyed the iE1, a lot. Based on the numbers though I'm seeing a higher launch here with a bit lower spin which has really maximized my distances. Beyond that, toe side both irons are pretty close, low though I don't think ive seen another set this good (maybe the Cobra F6).

Edge to these imo, but the iE1 are a damn solid iron too.

Hey Alan,

I really enjoyed the iE1, a lot. Based on the numbers though I'm seeing a higher launch here with a bit lower spin which has really maximized my distances. Beyond that, toe side both irons are pretty close, low though I don't think ive seen another set this good (maybe the Cobra F6).

Edge to these imo, but the iE1 are a damn solid iron too.

I agree with you here and have both sets. The CF16 low on the face is absurdly more forgiving and it is downright fascinating.

We have a tracking number... My set arrives Tuesday...

5-AW
Dynamic Gold SL S300
+1/4
2 up
1 strong

Can't wait...

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When did you order your set?

When did you order your set?

Late in the afternoon on 2/2... As you can see they had to be custom built...

Dax

Good to hear! I will definitely try these out soon - with a reputable fitter. Are you going to start your own thread on your fitting experience or add it to an existing thread?

It'll be a new thread tomorrow :).

Late in the afternoon on 2/2... As you can see they had to be custom built...

Dax

Wow, I didn't realize it took that long before they shipped. I had mine custom ordered as well. Guess I shouldn't expect them until March...

Wow, I didn't realize it took that long before they shipped. I had mine custom ordered as well. Guess I shouldn't expect them until March...

Say the order didn't get started until 2/3 and they are scheduled to arrive on 2/16, that's 8 business days from order until receipt.

Dax

Say the order didn't get started until 2/3 and they are scheduled to arrive on 2/16, that's 8 business days from order until receipt.

Dax

I guess it really isn't that bad since they are having to build and ship from Mexico. Can't wait for these to come in.

I hit these pretty extensively today... One thing that jumped out to me... I really freaking liked the stock XP95 shafts. I hit them with the PXI 5.5, KBS Tour V, DG S300 and I preferred the XP95. I am a noted KBS Tour 90 fan, so the XP95 reminded me a lot of them. Hard ponder going on.

I need to to get fitted for these and just pull the trigger

Just got fitted for these this afternoon. KBS Tour stiff, 3 up, 3 wraps. Have not decided yet on what to do. I am wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew with these in terms of playability. Seems like a lot of folks are raving about forgiveness with these which is a great thing to hear. I definitely went into this process looking at more of a GI(ish) type iron. Hit the Ping G, F6, and XR. I really liked the G but this (Apex) seems like an iron I can grow into over time as it will give me flexibility as I get my swing in order and hopefully continue to improve. I guess I wasn't expecting to go down the "forged" path, it may just be a mental thing I got going on (add it to the list).

Plus it is a couple more $$$ than I was planning to spend. Whatever I do decide on will stay with me for a while as I am not one to switch out irons every year or 2 or 3 even. Just some thoughts.

By all accounts these are great clubs so buy and enjoy them if that's what you decide. But I am not sure you are going to outgrow any of the others you listed.

2e690368fe7723f92d733555abb02ee7.jpg

I had a great workout with these the other day. I think now that I know the lower irons are not cup face, I won't look for the gains I saw in the mid irons. I may have to tweak a Italy so I don't have such a large gap. But as you can see I was center cut with contact.

I love the high ball flight I am seeing. It's fantastic and easy to get used to.

2e690368fe7723f92d733555abb02ee7.jpg

I had a great workout with these the other day. I think now that I know the lower irons are not cup face, I won't look for the gains I saw in the mid irons. I may have to tweak a Italy so I don't have such a large gap. But as you can see I was center cut with contact.

I love the high ball flight I am seeing. It's fantastic and easy to get used to.

Nice hits!

Finally pulled the trigger... 5-AW w/ KBS Tour 90's are headed to Richmond.

I'm looking for suggestions and figured no better place to ask then here. I just bought a set of the CF16's with a makeup of 5-AW. In my past sets I have always had a 4 iron and haven't had a ton of trouble hitting it. However, in this set I thought I would get your guys thoughts on if I should stick with getting a 4 iron, go for a Apex Hybrid or even look at the Apex utility. My 4 iron has never been used a ton, I do like to use it off the tee occasionally for a low, drawing shot and I've also used it for hitting under trees. What do you guys think? Without looking through everyone's signatures, what do you use and what is your experience?

Completely dependent on the player. I dont carry a 4 iron, because I hit my gaps pretty well going from irons to Apex hybrid.

I'm looking for suggestions and figured no better place to ask then here. I just bought a set of the CF16's with a makeup of 5-AW. In my past sets I have always had a 4 iron and haven't had a ton of trouble hitting it. However, in this set I thought I would get your guys thoughts on if I should stick with getting a 4 iron, go for a Apex Hybrid or even look at the Apex utility. My 4 iron has never been used a ton, I do like to use it off the tee occasionally for a low, drawing shot and I've also used it for hitting under trees. What do you guys think? Without looking through everyone's signatures, what do you use and what is your experience?

I use mine because I didn't care for the hybrid options available to replace it. I hit mine pretty well so I have no reason to replace it, but like JB said it's completely dependent on the player. Plus carrying it means one more club with cup face goodness!

I almost had the 4 iron in the bag but i went with the XR Hybrid because it was just really easy to hit and stepped into my fairway woods quite nicely. I didnt get along with the Apex hybrids when it came to distance but i loved the look and feel. Honestly, you cant go wrong with the options you posted so its just going to come down to what you feel most comfortable with

Good advice brother... also, the earth shook when you hit that 4h... would have been hard to go with anything else.

Finally! SATURDAY. I get to take these babies out for the first time in how knows how long....

Once I get settled in back in Dallas they will be getting a workout

I would see how you hit the 5 iron with the cup face tech. If you find it forgiving with a good even gap from your other clubs, I say go for it. I purchased a 4-PW set because I will use my 4 iron off the tee quite often when laying up.

Back