TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

Solid Reviews here! Just caught up, and am Glad I am a member here partially for this reason.

Based on reviews presented by different golfers, with different abilities provide insight on making decisions on equipment.

Keep up the good work!

I picked up a RBZ weighted screw kit for pretty cheap so my weighting woes should be rectified quite easily, and no hassle of lead tape. It will probably take a while to get here but I'll be sure to report back how it works for me.

Had the M2 on the range and course today with the CG Black. Started off on the range with the Black and was hitting some great shots. Moved over to the M2, and had a few good swings but just not consistent. I found with the M2, that I was missing on the heel and just getting blah shot after blah shot.

The heel miss was low and went nowhere.

Center of the face and out toward the toe, I was hammering this one. Lower spin than what I am used to with the CG Black, and the ball just flew.

Heading to the course, I found more of the same. For some reason, I was piping the CG Black and splitting the fairways. Playing two off the tee at times, and swinging the M2, I was getting that inconsistent heel miss and very miserable results.

I'm not sure what was causing the heel miss, as I have never had that miss. Typically my miss of off the toe. I'm not sure if it's a weight thing or something to do with the lie angle of this driver, but inside toward the heel is my consistent miss.

I bagged the M2 for the back 9 a bit, as it was just not giving me reliable results. Pulled it on 18 for one final tee ball, and absolutely crushed it. Dead straight and long.

Center of the face gives awesome results. Lower spin, slightly lower launch for me, but gives me a tee ball that is just bombed. However, I know a lot of people are saying this one is a more forgiving driver, but I just do not see that at all. I find off center misses lead to unplayable results. Looking at the club face, my miss was not drastic, just slightly off center and it just didn't give good results.

I really need to put some work in with this one and figure out what is causing the off center miss. Swinging this one back to back, same swing, with my current driver and seeing completely different contact on a consistent basis is baffling me.

Wierd that you are gravitating to the heel for no explainable reason.
I agree that heelside is not where you want to live with this head, but the two I heeled yesterday still flew pretty far despite the clanky feel there.

The center hits are just nuts with this club though and the low spin it offers is great.

Quick musing: I wonder if my HL head has different weighting or CG than the other lofts? Probably not but I've heard of that in the past.

Spent about 30 minutes on the range with this one and FlightScope today. First off, I love the sound, its as if TaylorMade took a few years off in terms of thinking about sound/feel and then came back to their classic sound that was so good. Its explosive and hot without being too metallic and one that I really like.

Distance was good. On par with my other drivers, which is a good thing. Spin numbers and launch are solid on well hit shots. Averaging about 2800 and 13 degrees when hit on the button.

I know people want to hear about forgiveness, so this is my take and only after one session on FlightScope.
Hitting the ball high on the face gave me lower spin (as expected) and slightly lower ball speed (better than expected) and solid distance.
Hitting the ball low on the face gave me higher spin (as expected), but WAY lower ball speed (not as expected) and a tremendous loss in distance. This happened on shots both towards the toe and heel as well.

Overall, when swinging well, I liked what I saw. My miss on the driver tends to be high on the face and I was seeing some pretty remarkable shots with that miss. When missing low, I was really surprised with how much I lost, in an area where ball speeds are generally higher (along with spin).

Simply one test, with one person, on one day. Further testing coming soon.

After putting this on the monitor for both War Eagle and I, this is pretty much dead accurate again for me.

Had the M2 on the range and course today with the CG Black. Started off on the range with the Black and was hitting some great shots. Moved over to the M2, and had a few good swings but just not consistent. I found with the M2, that I was missing on the heel and just getting blah shot after blah shot.

The heel miss was low and went nowhere.

Center of the face and out toward the toe, I was hammering this one. Lower spin than what I am used to with the CG Black, and the ball just flew.

Heading to the course, I found more of the same. For some reason, I was piping the CG Black and splitting the fairways. Playing two off the tee at times, and swinging the M2, I was getting that inconsistent heel miss and very miserable results.

I'm not sure what was causing the heel miss, as I have never had that miss. Typically my miss of off the toe. I'm not sure if it's a weight thing or something to do with the lie angle of this driver, but inside toward the heel is my consistent miss.

I bagged the M2 for the back 9 a bit, as it was just not giving me reliable results. Pulled it on 18 for one final tee ball, and absolutely crushed it. Dead straight and long.

Center of the face gives awesome results. Lower spin, slightly lower launch for me, but gives me a tee ball that is just bombed. However, I know a lot of people are saying this one is a more forgiving driver, but I just do not see that at all. I find off center misses lead to unplayable results. Looking at the club face, my miss was not drastic, just slightly off center and it just didn't give good results.

I really need to put some work in with this one and figure out what is causing the off center miss. Swinging this one back to back, same swing, with my current driver and seeing completely different contact on a consistent basis is baffling me.

Very intersting. What shafts are you playing with the Black and M2?

I played a full round with the rogue silver yesterday, and changed it out when I got home to the Fuji fuel that just feels nice and familiar for me. Not giving up completely on the silver, but I have total confidence in the fuel and that mental impact is huge.

Great thoughts War and JB.

War: any chance there is a difference in shaft length between the 2?

No sir we checked. Its not a shaft thing (thats an internet thing...haha). Its a lie angle or face angle thing.
I will say, that after 3 separate tests for me, I just do not see the forgiveness so many are seeing. I must be really really really missing bad. The ball speeds were drastically lower on the FlightScope.

I will also say this, the head looks fantastic and sounds even better.

No sir we checked. Its not a shaft thing (thats an internet thing...haha). Its a lie angle or face angle thing.
I will say, that after 3 separate tests for me, I just do not see the forgiveness so many are seeing. I must be really really really missing bad. The ball speeds were drastically lower on the FlightScope.

Cool, thanks. Didn't see it mentioned so had to ask the obvious haha.

Wonder if it's something to do with SW since the Black is designed to be a lightweight offering. Definitely agree on the looks, it looks fantastic at address IMO.

Cool, thanks. Didn't see it mentioned so had to ask the obvious haha.

Wonder if it's something to do with SW since the Black is designed to be a lightweight offering. Definitely agree on the looks, it looks fantastic at address IMO.

Im pretty sure they are both D3 swing weight the way they are setup.

I just assumed golf manufacturers were making forgiveness across the entire face these days. Possibly not true?

Same length. Double checked mid round.

The forgiveness is just not there. More than the SLDR (everything is), but still not a "forgiving" driver

Love the look, love the sound, need to get this one working for me. I just don't understand how the miss is coming in to play for me.

I wonder if I am having more luck because my miss is high heel and I think based on what you said these shots are retaining better ball speed.

My heel shots have been high-ish as well.

I wonder if I am having more luck because my miss is high heel and I think based on what you said these shots are retaining better ball speed.
I was living high heel today too and was pleasantly surprised on what my monitor was showing me along with the ball flight.

I'll not lie, I'm enjoying this one. It's been pretty addicting to hit, for me.

It's possible. And everybody might be different. I will say war Eagle's longest drive of the day was with the m2.

I'm downloading the numbers from FlightScope right now. For me my average was 243.56 with this and another driver I was 251.29

War eagle was 231.49 with this one and 239.11 with the other.

He hit his longest ball on the range with this one.

Nice feedback. I think it's interesting to see different results in terms of forgiveness from everyone.

I'm surprised to see that some aren't seeing universal forgiveness. I've struggled finding the right driver over the past few years and this one is as close to fool proof as I can get plus my distance is up which is an added plus. Keep up the good feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been critical of equipment that I am not jiving with... just go look at the early trials I had with the SLDR. Considering the driver I currently bag is hands down the best driver i've gamed, switching to a different setup isnt exactly going to be seamless.

I will get this one dialed in, might take a few trips out with it (see SLDR).

Sitting here going through some of my data and looking at the numbers there is no doubt to me now that there is something going on with this head on misses low, and it is not at all what I would have expected from the design and build. Some pretty massive speed drops there, to the point that I actually went back in and pulled all the data again to make sure I had the right sequence/save. That said, as I mentioned above I much more lived on the high heel today and the reaction there was a really nice spin/speed combo and a slight fade on my ball flight with really nice distance. Center mass, its the most addicting sound I have heard from a TM driver in literally 6 years.

Its a strange thing for me, on the range I was not looking at any of the data and just watching flight and had much more good shots than bad ones, but when I look at those low misses the numbers don't lie. I do miss more heel side than the other two drivers I had out there, which is strange to me seeing I have all playing the same length, but its something I am going to look at more with time I think.

I dunno, the numbers on center strikes and high misses are really damn solid. The look has grown on me a ton and its FUN to look down at and to pull from the bag. Also as mentioned the sound is stellar.

Its baffling me as I sit here looking at the spreadsheet, and that doesnt happen all that often.

Sitting here going through some of my data and looking at the numbers there is no doubt to me now that there is something going on with this head on misses low, and it is not at all what I would have expected from the design and build. Some pretty massive speed drops there, to the point that I actually went back in and pulled all the data again to make sure I had the right sequence/save. That said, as I mentioned above I much more lived on the high heel today and the reaction there was a really nice spin/speed combo and a slight fade on my ball flight with really nice distance. Center mass, its the most addicting sound I have heard from a TM driver in literally 6 years.

Its a strange thing for me, on the range I was not looking at any of the data and just watching flight and had much more good shots than bad ones, but when I look at those low misses the numbers don't lie. I do miss more heel side than the other two drivers I had out there, which is strange to me seeing I have all playing the same length, but its something I am going to look at more with time I think.

I dunno, the numbers on center strikes and high misses are really damn solid. The look has grown on me a ton and its FUN to look down at and to pull from the bag. Also as mentioned the sound is stellar.

Its baffling me as I sit here looking at the spreadsheet, and that doesnt happen all that often.

Ask JB how annoyed I was during the round not being able to figure out why I was missing off center on this one, but not off on the CG Black. Finally, I put it away to save it for a range session later.

Ask JB how annoyed I was during the round not being able to figure out why I was missing off center on this one, but not off on the CG Black. Finally, I put it away to save it for a range session later.

Its strange. I hit it really well during the session, but I was consistently high-heel with it. Hmm, maybe I'll try the upright setting tomorrow.

That said though, its potentially a really fun driver. I haven't said that about a TM offering in years.

Its strange. I hit it really well during the session, but I was consistently high-heel with it. Hmm, maybe I'll try the upright setting tomorrow.

That said though, its potentially a really fun driver. I haven't said that about a TM offering in years.

It looks and sounds great. Those subjective things mean more than meets the eye a lot of times. And its the first TaylorMade driver I have been able to say that about for me personally in quite some time.

It looks and sounds great. Those subjective things mean more than meets the eye a lot of times. And its the first TaylorMade driver I have been able to say that about for me personally in quite some time.

Agreed. You and I both look back on the SuperTri in the same manner, so I know we are on the same page in terms of the "intangibles" of the head.

Back