Wilson Staff Demo Day THP Outing Reviews

Danke TC.

No worries man. Those fg tours are good looking and I heard a few talk about how well they performed.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Anyone try any of the putters? They look about the best bang for the buck around to me.

Anyone try any of the putters? They look about the best bang for the buck around to me.

i love the 8882 myself and have spent a good bit of time with it. if it was available in LH, it would be in my bag. the milling on 8882 and 8883 are quite nice. i know that forum member yoccos has the 8881 in the bag and he loves it.

Both the 8881 and 8882 were out there. YOu might find feedback in the Putter Demo Day thread.

We also reviewed the 8882 on the home page.

Both the 8881 and 8882 were out there. YOu might find feedback in the Putter Demo Day thread.

We also reviewed the 8882 on the home page.

Cheers guys - I did have a scoot through the putter thread but no juice. Off to search I run, I forget you have reviewed about every club on the planet here lol

I really like my 8884 alot,i 3 putted alot before i got it and i was using a odyssey 2-ball back then.But since i got the 8884 i very,very seldom 3 putt and i feel more comfortable with it.I also have a 8885 and its a quality putter also but i just dont feel as comfortable with a mallet.But i would recommend the 888series to anyone wanting a simply designed putter that gives serious results.

Has anybody gotten the specs for the Di11's yet? Lofts of the different clubs?

I own the 8881 and absolutely love it. The milling is fantastic. The putts seem to really stay online for me. The looks are fantastic and the only thing I changed was the grip. I wrote a review and Ill come back to post the link in a few. The feel is also something I cherish about this putter lol. It definitely puts a good roll on the ball and feels awesome doing so (to me).

I own the 8881 and absolutely love it. The milling is fantastic. The putts seem to really stay online for me. The looks are fantastic and the only thing I changed was the grip. I wrote a review and Ill come back to post the link in a few. The feel is also something I cherish about this putter lol. It definitely puts a good roll on the ball and feels awesome doing so (to me).

I agree,the ball definantly stays more on line than with other putters i have rolled.That is what has helped me cut down on my 3-putts so much.Before it seemed like i was 3-putting everthing that was 15ft and out,now the 3-putt is almost non-existent.

I hit the FG Tours today and man they were sweet and i hit them really really good.I couldnt believe how well i was swinging them and they felt sooo good when i hit one on the screws(which happened alot more times than i ever thought it would with a PLAYERS iron) but when i did it was like i didnt even hit the ball i just felt a little click.They are so much more forgiving than i thought they would be.

They didn't have the Wilson Shockwave driver out there? I am curious to know how folks felt that stacked up to the other ultralight drivers. At 265grms I think it is the lightest driver out there right now. They seem to be selling pretty well here- but you don't hear much about them.

Nope, no W/S drivers.

They didn't have the Wilson Shockwave driver out there? I am curious to know how folks felt that stacked up to the other ultralight drivers. At 265grms I think it is the lightest driver out there right now. They seem to be selling pretty well here- but you don't hear much about them.

To my knowledge i dont think the Shockwave was ever available here in the states,i could be wrong but i dont think it was.I think the Smooth is the only W/S driver they have released here since the Spine,i game the Smooth and it is a veery nice traditionally shaped driver i love it.The new DXI driver will be coming out soon i think Jan.2011 and the pictures i have seen of it look alot like the Shockwave i dont know if it is ultralight tho.

I thought I had posted a couple of opinions, but I can't find them so I'll do it now:

FG Forged Irons: I thought these were really attractive clubs, but I found them head-heavy and didn't hit them very well (not that I did well with many of the forged offerings).

DW11 Irons: I liked these to a degree but there were a couple of things I didn't like. First, I was hitting 6-irons of all the irons, and with this one, at address, I could see the cavity back behind the top-line. Second, unlike other clubs I hit, these had absolutely no feel for me. The results of shots were ok though.

TW9 Wedge: I was surprised how much I liked these. I hit a few chips with a 56 degree (no full swings though) and for me these performed better than the Cleveland CG16s and TaylorMade XFTs.

Overall: I'm glad to see Wilson making a comeback in the mainstream golf equipment arena. They had a nice variety of offerings, and obviously there are quite a few folks around here who really love their equipment. I didn't fall in love with anything in the lines that I tried, but all my issues were personal opinions, not performance or technology related.

I am seriously thinking bout getting some FG Tours since i hit them so well the other day and they felt so smooth.I think i fell in love but,i am a pretty high handicapper (18) so im thinking i should get a set of game improvement irons like the DI11's.But i really want the FG Tours someone please talk me out of this madness.I have only been playing golf for a year but my swing is really smooth my biggest problem is my set up and i aim wrong alot.Would it be wise for someone who has only been playing for a year to get a set of player's irons even if they have a good smooth swing.I know it is ultimately my decision but i wonder has anyone else been in this prediciment,and if so what was the outcome?

You just gotta go with what feels best sometimes. Obviously for us higher handicappers forgiveness is key in a lot of aspects. It's not just sweet spot forgiveness either. Things such as weighting/design can help get the ball in the air, design (perimeter weighting??) can keep the club face square through impact even on certain mishits... Just a few things to consider. But if you're hitting them better and like the feel that much more, I say why not.

Or, spend some cash on a couple lessons to get the issues you're having fixed and pick up the FG Tours when they drop in price. I learned on a set of blades and I can say, you have good and bad days. The bad days are horrid lol.

I am seriously thinking bout getting some FG Tours since i hit them so well the other day and they felt so smooth.I think i fell in love but,i am a pretty high handicapper (18) so im thinking i should get a set of game improvement irons like the DI11's.But i really want the FG Tours someone please talk me out of this madness.I have only been playing golf for a year but my swing is really smooth my biggest problem is my set up and i aim wrong alot.Would it be wise for someone who has only been playing for a year to get a set of player's irons even if they have a good smooth swing.I know it is ultimately my decision but i wonder has anyone else been in this prediciment,and if so what was the outcome?

it's your money and your bag and your golf game, if you want the FG's get them. but yoccos made some good points. i've owned nike's cci forged irons, ping's forged i3's, and mizuno mx 25's, and while they all felt phenomenal, i decided to pick up a set of GI irons b/c i wanted the forgiveness. you will certainly sacrafice the ability to work the ball to a high degree but i am more concerned with straight balls myself.

i might just throw out the Ci9's for you as well. they are a nice blend of player's iron and GI iron. minimal offset, thin top line, look awesome at address, yet you get a little more forgiveness with them. i love those irons.

The Ci series is a good in-between set.

This whole scenario reminds me so much of a story John Hoeflich talks about in our Spring Issue of THP: The Magazine. Almost exactly the same in my opinion. He talks about the reason people choose clubs, etc...

This whole scenario reminds me so much of a story John Hoeflich talks about in our Spring Issue of THP: The Magazine. Almost exactly the same in my opinion. He talks about the reason people choose clubs, etc...

that was a great article/interview. i just learned that i was tired of penalizing myself by playing stuff that "looks" better in the bag. i think with today's technologies in irons that it's very easy to find something that still looks nice at address but is packed with forgiveness.

thanks for all the replies,i still have no idea what i am going to do but i am waitng till the Di11's come out so i can hit them before i decide.

Good luck!!! I still have my Ci7's sitting in my garage hoping to be played again one day. Lol. If nothing else they just look cool!
thanks for all the replies,i still have no idea what i am going to do but i am waitng till the Di11's come out so i can hit them before i decide.

Were the Ci9's at the outing?

Wilson Staff is on fire, for me personally they are rivaled only by Cleveland at this point. Great, great cubs.

The HS Fybrids have been great to me.

Back